Monitor Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prickle

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I've been fairly intrigued by monitors and have been doing a fair bit of research on them. My main question is 'which monitor is best to keep?'. Now I've asked a fair few reptile places this but unfortunately each opinion contradicts the previous one. Most of the time they are bias to what they themselves have at home. The two suggestions that have popped up the most are sand monitors and ackie monitors. I'm wanting to know which is the most docile of all the monitors. If any of you could take the time to give me a hand it would be so very much appreciated.

Each individual animal can have it's own personality, just like snake. Sandies are generally known as being 'friendly' as in hesitant to bite but are quick as all hell and very shy especially when younger. Ackies are a good starter monitor definitely, no real down side ( beside a painful bite ha ). Also you have to think about how much room you can supply for the monitor. A sandy would need atleast a 3m x 3m IMO ( Not needed for flav's ) where as an adult ackie would need only a 1.5m x 0.6m.

If you are looking for something you can handle regularly I would recommend a pet python if you havent already got one if you want to enjoy a pet monitor just remember they are smarter than your average reptile and most small species really don't need too much if any handling at all. As for recommended species wait for the right time of year and get a gilleni they are totally cool and even though they are small species seem to have that real monitor look and are awesom to keep .

My main question is 'which monitor is best to keep?'

How long is a piece of string?
The problem is you are asking the wrong Question. The "Best for you" and the "Best for me" aren't the same thing.
What you want to know is what's the "right" monitor for me.

I am also intrigued by monitors , but I know nothing about them.
I would start the the most bulletproof monitor, one that has a good disposition, and is easy to keep.
This may not be the prettiest or rarest which some people would consider important,
but it will be a good introduction to monitors, and your first anything leaves a lasting impression.

If you are looking for something you can handle regularly I would recommend a pet python if you havent already got one if you want to enjoy a pet monitor just remember they are smarter than your average reptile and most small species really don't need too much if any handling at all. As for recommended species wait for the right time of year and get a gilleni they are totally cool and even though they are small species seem to have that real monitor look and are awesom to keep .

This post pretty much sums things up.

While some can be more docile than others, my Ackie for example (which are 'traditionally' a docile monitor) will bite at the first opportunity (& doesn't like to let go). Monitors need lots of room, lots of food & lots of heat... this all makes them an expensive reptile to keep, often the purchase is the cheapest part. If it was me I would get a Sand Monitor (based purely on my experience with them). You will get varying opinions on species though. Keep researching & good luck, IMO they are the most rewarding of reptiles :)

Whilst I have only ever kept one monitor, and that was a lacie a long, long time ago, I can very relate to you being intrigued by them. They have an aura about them that so distinctive… something that encapsulates the best that lizards have to offer and they are out and about and show it off while you are there in front of them.

I have done my own research the keeping of monitors and the species that came up with the best wrap sheet was Gillen’s. They are said to be highly active with loads of character and extremely entertaining to watch. As far as keeping is concerned, they like it with a basking spot up 60[SUP]o[/SUP]C and low humidity. Being an arboreal monitor allows you to make full use of the vertical space in the enclosure.

Worth considering…

Blue

I personally think you cant go past a Spencers if your after something medium to large... a chunky short Mon with a very low chance of causing injury.

I'm with Blue and Jason, both great choices for a firsty:)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back