Monster python eats pet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertaipan

Reaction score
Monster python eats pet

A KURANDA couple fears for their children's safety after a 5m python devoured their dog in front of them, just weeks after other snakes killed their cat and guinea pig.

Daniel Peric said he now would not leave his two children, aged five and seven, alone in any part of the house, after the "enormous" python ate his silky terrier-cross chihuahua about 9pm on Monday.

"Actually watching it unfold before your eyes was pretty gut wrenching," he said.

"We'd had the dog about five years, so it was part of the family."

Mr Peric said in the weeks before, the family had found their cat's body, which looked like something had attempted to swallow it and on Sunday a smaller python had eaten their pet guinea pig.

"When it happens once, you think it's a one-off, but last night I thought "this is serious," he said.

"We have ducted air-conditioning. Call it paranoia, but my big fear is that a snake will get in there."

Australian Venom Zoo owner Stuart Douglas took the call from the distressed Peric family on Monday night and arrived to remove the scrub python within 20 minutes.

"They were very upset but they still had the decency to call us to come and get it," Mr Douglas said.

"It was at the bottom of the veranda, they'd thrown chairs at it (the python) to try to stop it, but it had already eaten the animal."

Mr Douglas said by the time he arrived, all that could be seen of the dog was its back legs and tail.

"It only took about 30 minutes to eat the dog, but it will be digesting it for two days," he said.

Mr Douglas said pythons were amazing animals that belonged in the Far North but people needed to be aware that pets were potential prey.

"These pythons used to feed on wallabies but now they feed on cats and dogs in suburbia," he said.

"This python actively stalked their dog."

He said if anyone saw a large snake near their home they should call someone to remove it as soon as possible.

"There’s someone in every area of Queensland who will come around for a donation and basically volunteer to collect it."

Mr Douglas said he would wait until the python had fully digested its prey before releasing it.
[video=youtube;06O-_sJ5vJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06O-_sJ5vJI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06O-_sJ5vJI[/video]

5m python my ****.
Took 30 minutes to eat a silky chihuaha cross? It's be lucky to be 2m.
I've got one sitting in the chook pen right now with 2 chooks in it's belly.

not approving of them throwing chairs at it but good on them for calling someone to collect it... many people unfortunately would have done a lot worse.

when i read about cats getting eaten i don't have any sympathy for the owners as they should have had the cats locked up but by the sounds of things this happened to the dog in their own back yard. Nature is nature and a snakes got to eat but my sympathies to the owner... i'm a reptile person and i know i would be devistated if that was my dog (though it may have taken a bit longer for the snake to feast on my great dane :shock:)

cheers,
ishka

:lol:
not approving of them throwing chairs at it but good on them for calling someone to collect it... many people unfortunately would have done a lot worse.

when i read about cats getting eaten i don't have any sympathy for the owners as they should have had the cats locked up but by the sounds of things this happened to the dog in their own back yard. Nature is nature and a snakes got to eat but my sympathies to the owner... i'm a reptile person and i know i would be devistated if that was my dog (though it may have taken a bit longer for the snake to feast on my great dane :shock:)

cheers,
ishka

LOL hilarious,
Ain't no snake be eatin my dog its to Fat lolzers

How could anyone say that snake is around 5m :lol:

If you keep snake food outside with snakes it may get eaten, we always keep our dogs inside(unless supervised) as pups to avoid them getting eaten. Anyone losing pets to snakes has no one to blame but themselves.

the python lives happy story. sorry to hear about tho dog their next dog should be something a bit harder to eat like a rotty or pitbull.

Lengths of snake stories usually end up like fishing stories. You know, the fish that is actually 1' long, ends up being a 100kg, 6' monster.

Lengths of snake stories usually end up like fishing stories. You know, the fish that is actually 1' long, ends up being a 100kg, 6' monster.

Yeah it tends to work better if the ppl you are trying to BS havnt seen the animal though :lol:

Cat or dog it is still an introduced species, everyone cheers when its a cat but when its a dog it's sad. Same goes for both I say. Cat owners should be responsible pet owners keeping their cats indoors 99% and take em out on a leash for 1%. Dogs should be locked in a yard securely. I see dogs do just as much damage to snakes, bluetounges, wallabies what ever they catch.

Cat or dog it is still an introduced species, everyone cheers when its a cat but when its a dog it's sad. Same goes for both I say. Cat owners should be responsible pet owners keeping their cats indoors 99% and take em out on a leash for 1%. Dogs should be locked in a yard securely. I see dogs do just as much damage to snakes, bluetounges, wallabies what ever they catch.

Too right

I see dogs do just as much damage to snakes, bluetounges, wallabies what ever they catch.

Well they arnt anywhere near as bad as cats, large dogs are basically a natural predator in Australia as they were released here a very long time ago and have become a natural type of predator. Small yappy dogs probably arnt covered by this though, i guess they would be like retarded foxes from an ecoligical point of view.

oh dear....
who in their right mind would let stuart douglas near a snake?!?!

thats not 5m its more like 50m... hey stuart ;)

pinning it with his gaff, thats just barbaric!

Darren Cleland could not believe his eyes when he saw this monster python on the banks of the Barron River west of Cairns.

The former Cairns councillor was at his rural property at Bilwon last month when he heard a neighbour's dog barking and rushed down to the water's edge to find the snake devouring a full-size wallaby with a joey in its pouch.

He estimated the python was at least 5m long.

"We were more amazed than anything that a python could get its mouth around an animal of that size," he told The Cairns Post last night.

"We've seen a few snakes but never anything this big."

Mr Cleland said the experience was a good lesson for his children to be wary of all snakes.

"We figured if it could eat the wallaby, it could easily eat our five-year-old."

Mr Cleland sent the images to The Cairns Post after it yesterday revealed how a 5m python swallowed the Peric family's pet dog on Monday night.
18245.gif

18255.gif

18265.gif

If the snake was stalking the dog, and they knew aout it, WHY DIDN'T THEY BRING IT INSIDE?? DUH! I think they could have EASILY prevented that from happening. As for the cavies, what do they expect living in an area like that and housing them outside? And the cat, that one really surprised me because cats have like reallt good hearing and vision, also they are really fast, so it must have been pretty dumb to get eaten by a snake lol. ANYWAY, it is nature and I guess they don't have many more options. I mean, they are getting rarer so i am really glad the owners didnt kill it because - thismay sound bad but - you can ALWAYS replace a dog, but the snakes would eventually die off. Thats just myopinion.

Well they arnt anywhere near as bad as cats, large dogs are basically a natural predator in Australia as they were released here a very long time ago and have become a natural type of predator. Small yappy dogs probably arnt covered by this though, i guess they would be like retarded foxes from an ecoligical point of view.

Dogs are NOT a natural predator in Australia. Because they dont kill as much as cats still does not excuse dogs for doing the same thing. It is the fault of humans, you cant stop animal instinct. I blame irresponsible owners.
If an average size feral dog and feral cat were in the same area what would kill more? if we were lucky the dog would eat the cat and choke on it and the native wildlife will live on.

At the time the dog was in. But some how they realized the snake was after the dog, they even saw it in its bed which I figgure was on the verandah. How ever, they let the dog out to take a piss/crap not seing any signs of snakes, but the before they could react the snake grabbed the dog from the verandah - It was likely just under it I guess, waiting. It had obviously lernt the dogs "mooving pattern" and had a pretty good idea where the dog would come from. Lucky the kids didnt go out first.. the snake might have let go as it realized it wasnt the dog.. I dont know. My guess is the snake would be someware between 3-4 meters long. I have a snakeskinn 1.35m long and this one was easily twize the size of that.. maybe a bit more.

Here in sweden the story hit big, as in Oz. But here the "common" swede that has no knowlage of neither snakes and apparently not the story had the mad idea (even after reading the news) that the snake was theirs and are now calling snakekeepers general för insane stupid and idiots... which in turn gave me the ****s and I went back at every single one that gave that type of comment, like a ton of bricks - which made me feel goooood :D

That last snake above is huge :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back