Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsnake

Reaction score
ive been told that the eastern brown is the most aggressive snake in australia, but some tell me its others, but personally i think its the eastern brown, i just wanted to know from the experts:D
cheers malik

ive been told that the eastern brown is the most aggressive snake in australia, but some tell me its others, but personally i think its the eastern brown, i just wanted to know from the experts:D
cheers malik
Ever snake can be aggressive if it fells threatened, but most likely it will try to escape then stand up to you. The last thing it wont's to do is to bite it would much rather escape then have a confrontation.
Thanks Tim.

I would say it is a very nervous snake and it over reacts very quickly if feeling threatened ...it is certainly one of the most dangerous snakes to encounter ...

female coastal taipan or inland taipan when startled would perhaps be the most aggressive i've encountered. The eastern brown can be super skitish, and strike very wildly with little warning when scared or being attacked.

Female taipans are all insane... (as with many species ;) ) as I said, in my experience.. I've seen/handled a few taipans here and there, and in my experience, of handling 4 taipans, 3 female, one male, the females are a lot more jumpy. a lot more likely to get highly agitated when confronted... They are just... Nuts...

The most defensive Australian snake in my experience are palmerston jungles. Eastern browns are pussycats compared to them.

To many variables to try to narrow it down to one species.
I dont think the sex of the snake has anything to do with it.
Time of the year, temps and humidity could see snakes becoming more defensive than other times.
If the snake has already been harrassed and the you come across it then it dosnt matter what species it is, it will have a go if it feels threatened.
Brown snakes are common, smart, fast and just a bit unpredictable.
They will all usually flee if given a chance, rather than fight though.
Ever snake can be aggressive if it fells threatened, but most likely it will try to escape then stand up to you. The last thing it wont's to do is to bite it would much rather escape then have a confrontation.
Thanks Tim.
Tim nailed it.

I've never seen, nor heard or, a truly aggressive snake. Plenty of defensve ones though. Eastern Browns would be up there for defensiveness. Haven't seen many wildly defensive Taipans though. Most that I've seen are more interested in getting the hell away from humans. Same with Browns really, but unlike Taipans they seem to get confused about the best way out of a situation and assume it's though you rather than in the opposite direction.

After reading the above posts, it looks like what is being called "aggressive" is a combination of "defensive" behaviour combined with "nervous" disposition. A dog with those two characteristics would be described as a "fear biter" by a professional trainer and be entirely unsuitable for training as a guard dog or personal protection dog - roles which require genuine, but controllable, aggression, On that basis, I am inclined to suspect that snakes do not demonstrate genuine aggression to potential attackers, but only to potential prey.

ok, i see what you guys are getting at, so what do you think would be more "aggressive,defensive,nervous", an Eastern Brown or a Tiger snake??
one of the teachers keep telling me its a tiger snake, but i know its not!!!!, so tomorrow im coming back to school with proof.........
cheers malik

I don't even think its a contest. The eastern brown wins. When I was much younger, I used to go to La Perouse and watch John Cann or his brother do their snake show. While they would regularly turn their backs on every other venemous snake they exhibited (RBBs, tigers, copperheads, death adders, etc) and have more than one out at a time, they always put all of their other snakes back in bags before they got the eastern brown out - and they never took their eyes of the brown snake when it was out. Given the Canns' enormous reputation in the herp community, that's enough for me.

Also, don't try to get away with presenting opinions offered on a forum as "proof" in school. If your teacher understands what proof is, and cares, you will be slaughtered. ;)

Also, don't try to get away with presenting opinions offered on a forum as "proof" in school. If your teacher understands what proof is, and cares, you will be slaughtered. ;)
Lol exactly. Mind you....there's every chance the teacher doesn't know.....

As someone said before there's too many variables for one definitive answer, in the end it's more an individual snake thing than something related entirely to species. Browns are said to be much more placid the further south you go, so even that one (soon to be two) example isn't conistent.

The one thats leaves puncture wounds in your leg.....IMO it wouldnt matter what sex the snake is as their both capable of doing as much harm...

Brown Snakes have a very bad reputation and I can understand why, but for anyone who has worked with enough of them for long enough, they are incredibly predictable snakes that are all instinct driven. This is the big difference between Eastern Browns and Taipans - Browns are dumb, Taipans aren't...

The most defensive Australian snake in my experience are palmerston jungles. Eastern browns are pussycats compared to them.

LOL ;)
I think people need to catagorise such things as "aggressive", "defensive" & "capability"... IMO No Aussie snake is aggressive, ie they don't go out of their way to bite you unless they have been provoked.. and are you talking about wild ones, or captive ones? as there can be a huge difference.... The most nutcase snakes I have ever seen was a pair of palmerstons...... though they have calmed right down to only being bitey now :lol:

id have to say eastern browns cause ive heard so many stories about browns chasing people :lol: :lol: LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back