Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
an adult female spotted python I used to have, would walk past its cage, it would hit the side, even if wee were on the other side of the room. and wild, definately not eastern brown we found a big one once a few years ago and were chasing it around for photos and he kept sliding away, was the wussiest snaek we have ever seen for its size lol. probably a small eyed snake I accidentally bumped a tiny bit of board with my foot about 1 for by 1 foot while lifting a big bit, looked down and had it striking at my shoe, I think also stood on him though :lol: but it was only a small eyed :lol:

Brown tree snakes come close too.

Go tailing eastern browns though, and whammo- it's on.

Have to say this is totally different to my experience. I have never yet come across a wild Brown Tree Snake that has bitten or made a serious attempt to bite me and have never yet caught an Eastern Brown that couldn't be tailed and wouldn't settle down on the hook. Maybe I have just been lucky over the years....

Spent last couple of weeks up between Mackay and Mossman herping, came across 6 brown trees on the road (and a few others hiding away) and each one on the road struck at me when I got out of the car to perve on it- but not so the ones that weren't on the road and kinda nervous already. Eastern browns are the snake I least like to catch (used to do it for fun until I grew up a bit) and the one I have been closest to getting nailed by, so far. They do settle down on the hook but I find them fairly reactive on first encounter, in contrast to Taipans who often have a, well, still possibly violent, but more contemplated response. But all that said, I've caught browns that don't go spanners, and one Taipan that went nuts as soon as I uncovered it- this one:

Oxyuranusscutellatus,Kirrama_2.jpg

Nice catch.......bet it got the heart racing :lol:
I find the heart is OK, but I get sweaty palms sometimes! That not so good for holding elapids, especially when it's hot and you're out in the middle of nowhere :oops: Here's another pic cos I'm a goddam showoff:

Oxyuranusscutellatus,Kirrama_11.jpg

I would watching the placement of your thumb serpentes...fangs will go straight through the bottom jaw!

Cheers,
Scott

Yeah, that's my test photo, I appreciate the skill of anyone who picks the dodgy thumb placement!

To be honest it's not always easy to get everything right out in the bush, so I really prefer not to take the risks now days. I was trying to get a good shot of the snakes head (note my thumb is behind the jawline in the first pick but- it's those tiny slip-ups that matter).

Not so tiny slip up with a Coastal..... if he had made you pay for it!

If you look on the underside of jaws on Taipans and most large Tigers..you can see where the fangs rest and even protrude now and then.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back