Moving to Perth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just got a call from my partner who is visiting friends in Perth and he has been offered a job in the mines! We are both totally in shock, and he is not sure if he can take the job, as he would have to start in 2 weeks, not giving us enough time to find a house etc. I was wondering then, if anyone in the Perth area knows of any good suburbs in which to find a house? Also, and more importsntly, whats the herp supplies availability over there :) ?
Sorry, i'm shaking so hard! I would love to make the move, but getting there, getting a job (me) and getting our stuff there are all considerations. Has anyone made the move like this and can offer any advice? Also, whats the TAFE like?

What animals are you planning to take ?

Well that all depends on what you require in the housing dept eg no bedrooms etc
You cant bring any of your herps to perth W.A. does not allow the import of ANY herps and you can only keep herps that are wa local

As far as work goes i am looking for staff what can you do ?

As far as tafe goes wa boasts the highest standards in australia and ther are a large selcetion of placs to go to

Does the mining company provide housing/subsidised housing? Pity about the animals, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and start over when it comes to herps (been there, done that). What sort of work does you partner do now? Mining is a quite well paid profession :) Housing prices have gone up quite a bit since the mining boom - I bet rental prices have also risen accordingly.

Look into the housing thorougly, because even though the pay is good, the housing/ rental prices are very high as well. Good luck with the decision.

i'm from perth, there is heaps of money in mines, my cousin is a belt splicer. most of the housing there is very burbs. say... i live in emore and i would probably want to live in freo if i went back. what kind of place would you like to live??? i don't know what the place is like where your from, so give us a bit of a clue. rocky reptiles is the premier place for herp stuff in around perth.it's a little more $$$ cos you can't import from anywhere, ut they breed some great olives and womas there. i think pilbera pythons? just opened up north too.

Rent is very expensive over here ATM, check out this site to find suburb profiles and some properties for rent;

http:/www.reiwa.com.au

The herp scene is definately on the up and up. If your herps are on the list and not pythons you can organise to "import them to WA" check out this link - on the righthand side is the approved list.

http://www.naturebase.net/content/view/871/808/

Perth City is a great place to work (everything is close compared to Sydney) and if you like the outdoors you get about 5 months straight of good weather. Other than that Perth is pretty dull it has none of the attractions of the east coast cities and its pretty isolated.

i travelled to Perth last year for the first time. It's an absolutely beautiful city, all the best to you if you decide to move over there.

It's quite expensive though.... although if your bloke is working in the mines it shouldn't really be a problem :p

poor bugger if you have to move, im in the prosess now but look at it on the bright side you will be able to get a pygmy python

Just read the list, so i may be able to take my gex, but not my maccies? they are allowed stimmies, why not maccies?

Vipercat, I have an Arts Degree in History, I have worked in process work for 2 years (picking and packing) and i was planning on going to TAFE to do a library science course.

Seriously upset about my snakes tho, this is all really sudden and i am all over the place, i haven't been able to sit down and really talk to my partner, as he is still in Rockingham and he has to give them an answer today - to start in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
poor bugger if you have to move, im in the prosess now but look at it on the bright side you will be able to get a pygmy python

Lol no you wont, we cant keep them at all over here on our license, strange even though they are native here :rolleyes: But hey maybe itll be introduced one day :p

And Jen we are not allowed macs cause we don't have any in the wild here ;) only allowed to keep stuff that is and stimies are the only ones. Cant complain though stims are the best out of the three hehe.

Housing prices compared to here are cheap as to rent. Mining business over there is big bucks in pay. My cousins work in the mines and gets paid a huge amount. We looked at renting and you could get a beach front house, for half the price of a suburban house here. ( Sydney)
Rockingham is a nice place. My family live over in WA and its a great. We are thinking of moving over there too

Rockingham is a nice place. My family live over in WA and its a great. We are thinking of moving over there too

I grew up there as a child and yeh it was a nice place but imo the place has turned into bogan central, the crime rate there is pretty bad and some of the dodgiest people you'll ever meet will live there. But yeh it does have its nice spots as most places, just be sure to scope out where it is carefully first :p

Also a few of my very close child hood friends from there grew up to be lets just say psychos, involving stealing guns from gun shops and doing a series of armed robberies o_O. I'm just grateful my parents moved me out of that place before i went on the same path :p

This sucks big time. i just went and had a massive cry. dogs and cats aren't native, are they banned too? Such a silly law, its not like i am going to release them or anything. i hate the idea of selling them, but my sister won't take them, tho she wants a rep licence. everyone seems to think that giving them up is easy, but they are my babies and they were the first - and only - snakes i got, it is incredibly upsetting to me to think of selling them, and i have decided not to bother getting any reps over there, it is too expensive to get back into it and too heart breaking, i don't have the heart to 'replace' Ari and Virgil, so why bother. Sorry if that sounds defeatist, i have reached the stage where i don't really care anymore. Why is WA so backward in this tho? does anyone know? it can't be just because they aren't a native species

I know that gotta suck real big time for you Jen :( so dont understand these laws. But im pretty sure you'd be able to bring cats and dogs over but im not 100%. Not sure why its so tight over here, think its cause reptile keeping has only been legal here for just a few years and its still developing heaps also i think its just the fact that we are so isolated over here and they would rather not risk any non native reptiles getting into the wild and causing damage here. Don't give up owning reptiles either, it is a big set back but we have some nice animals over here, and don't think of it as replacing your little guys. But good luck with everything anyways

Lol, i actually don't want to take cats or dogs, i just think it is hypocritical that people should be allowed to take non native potentially diseased mammals over, but not reps. my levis are on the native list, but i don't know if i can take mine or have to sell mine and buy new ones over there. also just found out that invertebrate keeping is illegal there, but i am trying to fin\d somewhere that actually says this, no offence hornet. can anyone direct me to a site that has lists of reps they can keep, or the equivalent to national parks? cheers.
Also, yay, my sister is willing to keep the snakes as well as the gex, she actually just went out and bought a reptile cave for 'her' snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back