My 4 Redtail Black Cockatoos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkslinger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Was out rearranging the Aviary and snapped some shots

Their Names are Sambo, Kookie, Gedda and Gibbet

f45df6f1.jpg

84b943ae.jpg

8e814763.jpg

147d4b9c.jpg

986f8305.jpg

1203a856.jpg

Amazing birds, I know what you mean about making good companion birds.

wow i didnt know people kept them :D
i thort ya couldnt coz they were endangerd or is that just yellow tails??
coz ive seen them near my house b4
they are BIG birds haha :D:D:D
great photos they look awesome

Awesome :D

I always wanted a cockatoo. Still do, actually.

wow i didnt know people kept them :D
i thort ya couldnt coz they were endangerd or is that just yellow tails??
coz ive seen them near my house b4
they are BIG birds haha :D:D:D
great photos they look awesome

Yep they are endangered but you can buy Captive bred ones

Mine are all hand reared fully flighted micro chipped (that was scary I assisted) and trained to harness for the odd outing, 2 I finished rearing myself just like having a baby constant food and attention required but worth it.

Last edited:
There are always huge black cockies around my place at Sunshine Beach.. Very cool birds but personally I could never keep a bird like that in a cage.

My mate has a cockatoo that does the best horse impression, because it used to live on a farm. And it swears, and says "MMMUUUUMMMM!" in my mate's voice hahaha very funny. Also imitates a cough.

There are always huge black cockies around my place at Sunshine Beach.. Very cool birds but personally I could never keep a bird like that in a cage.

My mate has a cockatoo that does the best horse impression, because it used to live on a farm. And it swears, and says "MMMUUUUMMMM!" in my mate's voice hahaha very funny. Also imitates a cough.

Not so much a cage but a holding pen while I am at work, they spend most of their time with us indoors. Noisy sometimes but fun add the Macaw (his speech boarders on R rated at times) we have to the mix and it can be a riot at times

Beautiful, especially love the red on the last pic, very bright!

Thought macaws were illegal to own...? Seeing as they are an exotic and are endangered etc etc?

Aww cool. Are Macaws still as expensive as they were five or six years ago? I remember enquiring about them, and they were like $5,000 to $7,000 each :shock: :lol:

Thought macaws were illegal to own...? Seeing as they are an exotic and are endangered etc etc?

No Different law applies to birds crazy eh they can still fetch between $4 to 16K depending on the bird. In fact you don't even require a Licence as they are not Australian Natives.

Heres a pic of him

We also have Galahs, Sulphers, Major Mitchell's and Long billed Corella's

Attachments

• sabre.jpg
    sabre.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 47
wow!
b&g's are awesome!
the hyacinth macaws have to be seen to be believed, they are amazing!

The spix had to be seen to be believed to, sadly that aint gonna happen anymore. :(
I've always loved the cockies and larger parrots, we had a sulphur crest at one point that had belonged to my grandfather before he got married, it used to spend its days singing sea shanties and screaming "put the bloody fire out" before lunging at anyone within a couple of meters. He raised it, but denied any knowledge of where its bizarre habits came from. :lol:

When the dogs were barking, it'd call them a few times (using the wrong name :rolleyes:), wolf whistle, then yell "SHADDUP YA HAIRY BUGGERS!!!" at the top of its lungs, was a real crackup. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back