My 4 Redtail Black Cockatoos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to wikipedia............. :)

The Spix's Macaw (Cyanopsitta spixii) is the only member of the parrot genus Cyanopsitta. This macaw was found in Brazil, in the north part of the state Bahia. The species probably became extinct in the wild around 2000, when the last known wild bird died [2], however, there is a captive population of some 68 individuals [2][3][4]. Most of these individuals are bred in captivity. Of these individuals, only 9 are found in breeding programs of zoos; two birds are in Loro Parque, Tenerife, Spain and seven birds are in the São Paulo Zoo, Brazil. The pair at the Loro Parque produced two young in 2004. Two more young from 2006 are on public display in the Tenerife parrot park (Loro Parque). They have not yet fledged (April 2007). There are no adult Spix's in the Loro park on public display, because they are being kept under high security in the Loro Parque captive breeding centre. The aim of the breeding program is to eventually reintroduce this species back to the wild.[2]
Some 47 animals belong to Sheikh Saoud Bin Mohammed Bin Ali Al Thani in Doha, Qatar, who acquired them from private keepers in the Philippines and Switzerland and founded the Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation Center. It runs its own breeding program which has produced 12 young so far, 7 of them in 2006.[4][5]
This bird is a delicate, blue-grey macaw with long tail and wings. It has a pale ashy-blue head, distinctively square shaped, and pale blue underparts. Its upperparts, wings and long tail are a more vivid blue.

They are one of my favourite birds, along with Palm Cockatoos and Macaws.

You have some beautiful birds, nice one.

Just went back and read page 2 of this thread. LUcky you Inkslinger, I take it that is your Macaw, what a beautiful bird.

Red tails aren't necessarily endangered., it's only really the glossy black cockatoo thats classed as endangered.Hows this for bureaucracy in parts of the NT and in WA with the white tailed blacks farmers can legally shoot them if they are deemed to be a pest but take one and give it a loving home and you are a criminal. What a great system we live under!!

I handreared a yellow tail black cockatoo.(not when it was really young though) What formula did you use, Inkslinger?I used roudybush with peanut butter, but Ive heard that Kaytees is really good too.

Red tails aren't necessarily endangered., it's only really the glossy black cockatoo thats classed as endangered.Hows this for bureaucracy in parts of the NT and in WA with the white tailed blacks farmers can legally shoot them if they are deemed to be a pest but take one and give it a loving home and you are a criminal. What a great system we live under!!

so are Redtail Blacks

I handreared a yellow tail black cockatoo.(not when it was really young though) What formula did you use, Inkslinger?I used roudybush with peanut butter, but Ive heard that Kaytees is really good too.

A commercial mix from the breeder

here are some pics

Attachments

• P1030575.jpg
    P1030575.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P1030579.JPG
    P1030579.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 38
some microchipping pics
Was very scary as took one a long time to come round even with the light sedation.

Attachments

• Our_Birds_001a.jpg
    Our_Birds_001a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Our_Birds_014a.jpg
    Our_Birds_014a.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 40
It's funny, yesterday I was at the pet shop admiring the redtail black cockatoo's they were selling (I'd never seen one before), now I come across this thread... I think I should take it as a sign and get me one of those pretty things:p

It's funny, yesterday I was at the pet shop admiring the redtail black cockatoo's they were selling (I'd never seen one before), now I come across this thread... I think I should take it as a sign and get me one of those pretty things:p

What price did have on it curious??

Stunning mate, all of those birds are beautiful. I'll have one of those macaws oneday..... hopefuly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back