My baby Bredli bites and bites and bites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My_Snakey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
You guys get the idea lol

We picked him up last Thursday. I left him alone for a day and then took him out to put him in his feeding tub as he was due for a feed. All he does is strike and bite.

I understand he is scared, but shouldn't he be 'sick' of striking at me by now???
Doesn't he realize that I'm not going to hurt him and I'm not a threat?

I've only sort of held him twice since getting him, but it was only for a short time before putting him in his feeding tub. I fed him again last night as I've read that he could just be hungry? He scoffed it down in no time!

I asked the breeder for a placid snake, but I don't think he cared too much? He told me when he took the snake out of the bag that this was the most it's been held. No wonder it bites!

What are some tips to get my baby to stop using his bitey end?

Did he eat the food? My first Stimson was like that, I found after leaving him alone for about 2 weeks after getting him, after that it only took a few holds to settle down, just my exerience,
good luck!

He is only a baby give him time :)
I know its hard NOT to pick him up, but try not to bother him too much to start off with. Its good that he is eating well, but stress may make him refuse. He should settle with time.
Leave him be between feeds (except to clean) for a couple of weeks. Keep him in a low traffic area of the house, not somewhere that people are coming and going a lot.

The breeder would not really be able to guarantee a placid snake...

R.I.P Arthur my baby scrub. I love you and miss you Xx :cry:

You owned a scrub ,and your worrying about a little strike action from a bredli?

I know the breeder can't gurantee a placid snake, I just thought that he would have held it or something more to get use to it?

Wow! Weeks? Really??? I think he's just going to get bigger and angrier in that time lol.

I dunno, I think I'm just more dissapointed then anything. I was really hoping for a placid/non bitey snake :(

I just thought that he would have held it or something more to get use to it?

Most breeders would not really have time for that :)

Wow! Weeks? Really??? I think he's just going to get bigger and angrier in that time lol.

He will get bigger (slowly) but hopefully not crankier...they are nearly always snappy when babies, it generally gets better :D

I dunno, I think I'm just more dissapointed then anything. I was really hoping for a placid/non bitey snake :(

Don't be disappointed...it will just take several weeks, and you will have to be patient
:)

Redbelly - I had him for about 5 months. The closest to biting he came was when my boyfriends cousin went to check if he was in his cave and Arthur nudged him, but didn't bite.
It's a REAL shame he died :(

shellfisch - The breeder I got him off is unemployed, so I just figured he would have anything BUT time for it lol
I hope your right. My friend at work has the most placid BHP and I just want mine to be like that eventually.

I hate being patient! It's so annoying lol

breeders don't have enough time to handle every hatchie that is hatched. they have adults, hatchie enclosures to clean, feed all of them + rodents usually and so on.

Well he DID tell me that he would pick out a nice one for me, but ok, a breeder can't guarantee a placid snake. I thought they could.

It's going to be hard leaving him alone for that long, but if it will help then I guess I have to do it.

with alot of carpets you will find that they start off phyco and calm down as they get bigger and lose the little snake syndrome they get bigger, they get used to your interaction they also veiw you as less of a threat as time goes on

you must have got lucky with that scrub, my last two from afew years ago i tamed down alot however the two 7 month olds i got on friday are little phyco's that go nuts when they see you and even worse they constantly drop theyre bowels on you

Ok My Snakey, You will just have to be patient and handle often. It will calm down but only if you keep handling it. Get it out a few times a week with a hook and just accept that it will bite. When you hold it, let it climb over you and don't move quickly or squeeze it.
I have a female bredli that 2.5m has never been handled and she is a handful, so be persistent it will quieten down eventually, may take up to a year.

LOL Kenshin! Arthur was my first snake, and a GREAT first snake at that!

I look at my Bredli and I can't help but think that my scrub had the bredli personality and the bredli has the scrubs!

You haven't had him for very long at all, you don't even know what his personality is yet - he's a stressed out hatchling trying to adjust!

This is all normal, and a snappy hatchling does not mean that he will always be so.

Relax, it's WAY too early to be disappointed yet! As others have said - leave him be for a couple of weeks, and then gradually get him used to handling. He will work out fine.

I understand he is scared, but shouldn't he be 'sick' of striking at me by now???
Doesn't he realize that I'm not going to hurt him and I'm not a threat?

No, he doesn't understand. He's a snake, a baby snake, one of the lowest things on the food chain. To him, you are massive and are probably picking him up to eat him. Wouldn't you bite? Would you get sick of trying to defend yourself if you thought your life was in immanent danger?

Bredlis are notoriously snappy as hatchies - mine certainly was! At 14-months, with plenty of food and cuddles, mine is starting to calm down. Although, he did tag my partner on the face the other day :D

Leave him alone for two or three weeks, feed him plenty, take him out for short, calm handling sessions, and be patient for the next 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back