Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serpenttongue

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Well it appears that most reptile keepers these days know all about DPS, but it seems few have dealt with it personally. Those that have seem to keep quite about it, possibly to avoid criticism from their peers. Anyway, i have dealt with DPS with my own diamonds several times now and have decided to share my experiences.

Firstly my background with diamonds. I started keeping diamonds back in 1987 when i was 12. I live in the Illawarra area (south coast of NSW) where diamonds occur. I started off with wild diamonds, catching and releasing lots of diamonds over the years for breeding (before the 1997 amnesty), many of which became longterm captives and beloved pets. They were housed in large aviaries that faced north and received sun from sunrise until about 1-2pm, and then again in the late afternoon for an hour. All diamonds were exposed to weather conditions typical for the area from which they were collected (cool nights throughout most of the year and cold winters with temps dropping to 5'c) and all diamonds basked almost everyday of the year, even during very cold winter conditions. Aviaires are covered with shadecloth to keep them cooler and have a small 'window' cut out to allow basking in full sunlight. Hide boxes were insulated with styrofoam sheets to battle temperature extremes.

I first noticed DPS in one wildcaught female which i had had for 11 years. She suddenly became very flabby and after laying her 5th clutch for me she would never put her weight back on no matter how large the meals or the frequency of meals. After about 6 months she suffered broken bones. Her ribs were broken in several places and her spine was broken. She suffered from lack of co-ordination and had difficulty feeding. When food was seized she would immediately let go and thrash around. She would continually seize the food but then have to let go, followed by more thrashing. I put this down to brittle jawbones becoming very sensitive, and indeed shortly after her jawbones did break. It got the point that she could no longer climb or even move so she was put down. This female spent every day of her life outdoors, being exposed to full sunlight.

Within the same year i lost several more, all of which had very similar symptoms. Flabby muscles, broken ribs, jaws and spines,lack of co-ordination, inability to seize and consume prey, fits of thrashing around during feeding , falling from branches, gums turning black, swollen cloacas, flaccid stomach and intestines, unable to move except for their tongue and head. All these individuals were 7-8 years old.

Okay, from my experiences these are my beliefs about DPS as well as my recommendations. I have no scientific evidence to back any of this up, just what i believe.

* DPS usually affects females after laying eggs. If a female doesnt put weight back on after egglaying then there's a good chance DPS has set in.

* DPS progresses very slowly. A diamond can live with it for over 14 months. Because DPS progresses slowly, a diamond wont usually die from DPS, what ultimately kills the diamond is starvation from being unable to consume food.

* No amount of UV light will save diamonds from DPS, nor will it reverse the symptoms, however cold nights will slow down DPS considerably.

* DPS affects diamonds from the age of 6 years and onwards. A diamond that lives past 6 years of age without showing signs of DPS has not been saved from getting DPS.

* Provide heat until 12-1pm and then nothing until the following morning. For indoor enclosures, instead of having a warm end and a cold end, provide an enclosure that is cool overall, with one small hotspot which stays around 28-29'c. Diamonds really need to be able to escape the heat. They usually bask until 10.30am and then retreat to a cool area where they will coil tightly to conserve body heat. Anyone who has walked into a rainforest knows how cool they are under the canopy. Diamonds live under a rainforest canopy and can bury under damp leaflitter, retreat into huge hollows and rock crevices to escape the summer heat.

-ST

Last edited:
Never had a diamond, but thanks for the info. Looks like you've done a bit of research and have had experience fist hand :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences Nick....
Like they said in Reptiles Australia magazine..on road testing pythons.
Diamonds are the least hardy.

Cheers for that Serpentongue ...
Are you using UV lighting with your young ones in doors ?....

I have only ever seen the one die from it ( was my brothers ) very similar symptoms to what you described , it died during a fit though .

Newbies take note of what Nick has written, as there is so much BS floating around about DPS, the few people that have been keeping Diamonds for many years will tell you the same thing. Enclosure design needs a major re-think if you plan on keeping long term diamonds.

thanks for that info nick, as you know i have a port mac with what you have advised me might be DPS, she is going onto 6 years old now and has layed 2 clutches of eggs, she wasn't put with a male this season,

after she layed last season i noticed she started shaking when picked up, she ate fine, and everything else was normal,

12 months on and she still shakes, she feeds normally, BUT she hasn't put her weight back on, she also sheds a lot more then normal, so at this stage i'm watching her very closely, if she goes down hill any further then she is now, i will ethenase her, she has been steady for the last 12 months, i had always put it down to possible the over use of TOD, ( i had an outbreak of mite, she was one of a few adults that had them, still trying to work out where they came from,) but she hasn't recovered,

i just want to say a big thanks to nick for taking the time to reply to my pm a few weeks ago when i asked for his help,

so at this stage i am watching her to see what happens, as she is one of our first snakes and our fav we are going to give her every chance to recover, but for the same reason i won't let her suffer, :cry:

it also goes to show that it's possible for natural intergrades to suffer from DPS,

she was kept under the same conditions as i keep most of my adult coastals, no heat during summer, and a hot rock in winter, no uv lights.............

my ebony in her good days....................

ebonyclose18thapril.jpg

would diamond carpet hybrids have this problem or is it just the pure diamonds

So in a nutshell it is simply caused by being stuck in high temperatures that are too high?

Ace, i've been told by one of the most respected and experienced python breeders in the world that diamonds, intergrades, coastals and diamond/coastal hybrids are all susceptible to DPS.

diamonds, coastals and port mac carpets all live on the east cost of oz do that mean anything

So in a nutshell it is simply caused by being stuck in high temperatures that are too high?

You could say that. It all comes down to temps. I dont believe that overfeeding has anything to do with DPS.

Diamonds can handle higher temps of around 35'c if they really have to, but only for short periods. They need to move off to cooler areas that are 25'c and under whenever they choose, and for as long as they please. These cool areas must always be available to them.

I always recommend temps of 27-28'c at the hotspot for diamonds being housed indoors because a diamonds body can function perfectly at these temps. There is no real need to keep them warmer than this.

diamonds, coastals and port mac carpets all live on the east cost of oz do that mean anything

Yeah, most likely. But i think if you kept any snake at temps that are higher than it's adapted to over a long period, it will go downhill eventually.

i noticed she started shaking when picked up

Shaking! This is one symptom i forgot to add. Shaking or tremors are a common symptom of DPS, but is not always present in all cases. Tremors most often occur when diamonds get excited during feeding time when they are poised to strike at food. Tremors can be easily seen at this time. Also when holding the affected snake you can feel a slight tremor in it's body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back