my first rescue of the month

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feathergrass

Reaction score
this morning i get a phone call from my daughters day care lady she says help my dogs have attacked a frilly can you come help i got it off them but now its just leaning against the sliding door
so i say yeah sure and she comes picks me and my girl up and i go to get this *frilly*

oh hes currently at the vets now and they will ring me and let me know when to pick him up to rehab at my place

hes very beautiful and not a frilly lol

OK folks an update my lil rescued frillyless as we have called him is staying in the vets for a night or two seems hes not eating and is not at all a happy chappy ..The vets have phoned me and i will call them tomorrow afternoon and see how he is and either pick him up then or phone bakc on friday

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Good luck with your Eastern Beardie; I have a rescued one myself had him for about 3 months now he would only eat out of my hand, he has a disfigured lower jaw from a car. I believe a strong bond grows with rescues; my beardie will actually follow me around the yard on his walks and climbs up yr leg and under yr chin when he wants to feel safe. I would have loved to release him though he is still not eating by himself and NSW Wildlife are going to grant me an owners certificate after I supply a report from my vet. All the best and good on you for giving this fella a fighting chance!! :)

It is an amazing job that you guys do, well done. I have often wanted to do this however I feel due to my relevant inexperience (had reptiles for 5 years) and lack of knowledge in some areas, it would not be in the best interest of the animals. However, given another 5 or so years of experience I will definetly look at something like this.

thanks Danster hes so beautiful and sitting here trying not to reach for the phone and calling the vet to see how he is and if i can come get him yet
thankfully we have a big yard and a reserve over the fence so if hes able to be saved and he comes back here he will not have far to go for home :)

sagara the only real experience i have with reps is from nz geckos have read heaps and heaps abou beardies and my own are due this month to arrive:)
apart from reading lots i have been pestering everyone about beardies trying to soak up all the info i can get :) and my local vets been a great help cos i find alsorts of hurt animals on my morning walks but this is my first for the year hurt beardie :)

It is an amazing job that you guys do, well done. I have often wanted to do this however I feel due to my relevant inexperience (had reptiles for 5 years) and lack of knowledge in some areas, it would not be in the best interest of the animals. However, given another 5 or so years of experience I will definetly look at something like this.

You have to start somewhere. I think 5 years experience is enough to become a volunteer.
You don't need to be a carer, you can start off as a rescuer. You go out a catch the injured/unwanted (by unwanted, I mean people who live by the bush and don't like the local reptiles in their yard) and then drop them to a vet/carer/back into the bush.

Charity organisations such as WIRES always need more volunteers, and actually working with the animals and people who have the experience is a great way to extend your own knowledge.

Excuse my ignorance, as i have always had a fear of lizards......i would be one of those people who called them frilly's :oops: So bearded dragons & frilly's are 2 different lizards or is there just no such thing as a 'frilly'? Sorry for such a silly question, but i am actually very interested now, as i have been trying to 'get brave' & overcome my fear, my partner & children want lizards, so i have been spending time with & trying to handle my sister in laws 'frilly's'.......which is what i believed they were called......they do have frills :oops:

Hope your rescue gets the all clear anyway, even though i am afraid, i do find them to be very beautiful to look at!

they are 2 differant animals see below

frilled neck lizard - Google Search

eastern bearded dragon - Google Search

Frillies have that awesome frill they show when threatened etc when its down you can see the folds of skin that make the frill flat against the lizards neck/body

the bearded dragon has a beard below its mouth that it puffs up when threatened but its not as impressive as the frillies

Last edited:
Thanks for that Tristan. My in laws do have frilled necks! The difference is quite obvious, i had just never really paid much attention!

bel, can handle snakes but not lizards? isnt it usually the other way around? haha im petrified of snakes!!

bel, can handle snakes but not lizards? isnt it usually the other way around? haha im petrified of snakes!!

I know right! Its so weird, & something that has always drove me mad cause i also dont understand it! But i literally freak if a lizard comes near me! :oops:

He looks completely different to any beardies I have ever seen. Looks like he has had a hard life

He looks completely different to any beardies I have ever seen. Looks like he has had a hard life

they have told me is is rather old he is a beautiful dragon though and we have fingers crossed hes got no internal injuries and that is lack of wanting to move too far and lack of intrest in food is a temp thing ...has a few battle scars but other than that hes lovely

Hopefully he turns out to be quite healthy and just in need of a good feed & some TLC. Can they guess at an age? How long is he?

Excuse my ignorance, as i have always had a fear of lizards......i would be one of those people who called them frilly's :oops: So bearded dragons & frilly's are 2 different lizards or is there just no such thing as a 'frilly'? Sorry for such a silly question, but i am actually very interested now, as i have been trying to 'get brave' & overcome my fear, my partner & children want lizards, so i have been spending time with & trying to handle my sister in laws 'frilly's'.......which is what i believed they were called......they do have frills :oops:

Hope your rescue gets the all clear anyway, even though i am afraid, i do find them to be very beautiful to look at!

I really don't think you are ignorant... when Sara (5 yrs old) tells the mums at kinder that we have a bearded dragon, they automatically assume that she is refering to a frilly
Having said that.. you are a very strange person..... snakes on one hand and lizards on the other...snakes fine to handle and crawl on you but lizards aren't.. LMAO.. i am absolutely terrified of snakes but l have grown to love and trust my Yoda

He is beautiful... I have the same "gift" you do... All the hurt and sick animals for some reason turn up at my house or I find them on my way places... They must know that your a good person and will look after them

:cry: Strange......now you have hurt my heart! :lol: Nah, i know, it is really weird, but others have mentioned being afraid of lizards & not snakes.......so i know i am not the only one! It bugs me a bit, cause i try really hard to pick them up, ive even tried having others put them on my hand for me...... :oops: i cried! I really have no idea why, all i do know is that when they look at me, i get goosebumps on top of goosebumps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back