My first snake: Jungle Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stianbl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Some of you might remember me from a while ago, where I made a post and asked if someone wanted to be kind enough to borrow me a snake for my stay in Australia, and some of you told me that there where no way I would be able to do that.

I have to agree; I didn't think so myself, but I had nothing to lose =)

I'm making this thread now, because I do miss the great time I had with the snake I was able to borrow (the whole story comes below), and now that I'm back in Norway I cant have any. Typical as it is, Norway is the only country in the world with a total ban of reptiles as pets. Hooray!

-

Ok, I posted sometime in the beginning of this year, that I wanted to take care of a snake for someone if they had one spare, or if they had too little time at the moment for them all. Luckily someone did contact me, but I'll leave names out.

So, we met up for a beer and a talk, and soon enough I was given a cage, food (frozen rats), heat mat, and all I needed. And of course a beautiful Jungle Carpet Python.

I was a bit scared in the beginning, as it was my first time with a snake, but she had a very responsive feeding, and everything worked out very good =)

No bites, and she also fell asleep in my lap while I was watching movies at the computer from time to time. Cute.. haha.. So I take it she was trusting me.
(I did leave a t-shirt in the box from time to time, so she would get used to the scent. If this really worked I don't know, but she never bit me, and it was a great snake to take care of).

I don't have any big stories to tell, as you guys have seen it all, but for me as a first timer I totally fell in love with snakes. It's just fascinating to observe the behavior. =)

I had her for about 3 months or a little more, up until my very last day in Australia.

Thanks a lot to a great friend who trusted me with one of his snakes. You made it possible for me to experience how it is to own a snake. Now I really want one.. =P

I'll just end it all with some pictures of myself and the snake:
(hmm, got all the pictures on my other computer, so I'll only upload one for now that I've got here.)

344f61e.jpg

That was good of them, and nice snake too :)
Pity you can't have one in Norway :(

great story mate, bet your stoked.. good on the person that did this...

what a wonderful story
the idea of the Tshirt in the cage isnt so crazy...I always let Elvira 'sniff" my fingers before I pick her up and I honestly think it helps to stop her getting bitten.

what a shame you cant have a snake in Norway....I guess there arent norwegian snakes either that would be native to norway.....so you couldnt even argue preservation of native species.

oh well at least you ahve had a wonderful experience.

Elizabeth

Thanks guys =) It was indeed a great experience, and even though I only had the snake for a little over 3 months I feel like I've learned a lot. I did know a lot from reading, but nothing beats actually taking care of one in real life =) But I think I was lucky with my Jungle, as she never bit me at all, and she was a very great snake.

I used to take her outside for some fresh air, and let her get a little bit sun from time to time. Not too much, as I don't want to hurt her, but she really enjoyed it, and was actually difficult to get back in her cage. She always wanted to hold on and when I sat down to put her in the box she climbed back on =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back