Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on.. With supervision, you can't always be there. That's impossible! Letting your kid play in the yard is something most parents would do without supervising... That's an easy mistake to make.

Phil, you are fighting a loosing battle mate. There's too many 'extrememists' and fanatics on here for commonsense and logic to prevail, you should know that by now. :shock:

Oh come on! Give Tamarin a break!!! What was she supposed to do?

I'm on your side Tam, it's a tragedy - but not an uncommon one - and there was nothing you could do to stop it. I can just imagine the situation and it was probably dead before you even realised he had a shovel right?

And don't pull the self-righteous "it's illegal" crap... Hands up anyone here who has NEVER done ANYTHING illegal... No takers?

sorry to say but it 100% your fault you could of told him to put the shovel down and told him to call a snake catcher

after all as you said its your parents house now
anyway you totally did the wrong thing in not protecting the reptiles we love or our native wildlife and for you to just stand by and watch tells me your a coward and dont deserve to own reptiles or any sought of wildlife!!!
As they are still living in the house I think it is still their house. By the time I'd tried to suggest what they could do he'd have already been having a go at the snake. It was very flighty and wasn't about to stick around while we waited for a relocater to arrive (it was actually moving towards the door to the house) - therefore I think the man would have basically ignored me while he did what he was intent on doing.
I asked earlier what is the recomended procedure - I live in suburban Melbourne so haven't had to deal with this sort of thing before. If it was a python, I'd have removed it myelf - I own a python and wouldn't dream of owning an elapid until I knew more about them etc. I believe I know enough to own a non-venomous species.
And like I said, I told him not to kill the snake. He already had the shovel and said "I know they are protected but not when they are near the family" and it was all over.
When I said in my initial thread that I feel it was my fault, I was referring to the fact that I announced that there was a snake, instead of keeping quiet, which led to the chain of events. Aside from that there was nothing I could have done to stop him.

say what you say serena

ino ppl have differant reactions to situations iwould off just handled it differantly..

sorry to yellow tamarin for my ignorance

From my understanding there has been zero fatalities from Red Belly Blacks, those poor things cop it bad in the "lethal" snake catagory simply because of their appearance.

Nothing you could have done about it yellowtamarin, the shovel brigade are a dime a dozen. They aren't interested in forking out money for a snake catcher when a shovel can relocate it permanently (into the next life) at zero expense. I wouldn't worry about it, that's life.

Everyone has their opinions, nervous. I guess I was asking for a debate by posting about this. I really just wanted to let off a bit of steam in a place where people understand why I was upset, as I don't know anyone in my circles who would really understand why it upset me.
Anyway I look forward to positive wild herp experiences in the future!

Oh come on! Give Tamarin a break!!! What was she supposed to do?

I'm on your side Tam, it's a tragedy - but not an uncommon one - and there was nothing you could do to stop it. I can just imagine the situation and it was probably dead before you even realised he had a shovel right?

And don't pull the self-righteous "it's illegal" crap... Hands up anyone here who has NEVER done ANYTHING illegal... No takers?

But I've never killed a snake!

red bellies are not responsible for human deaths,there is no excuse to kill one there
a protected species
report his RED NECK a ss to the authoritories
and smack him in the head with a shovel

Reporting him to the authoroties is just going to waste tamarins time, it happens everyday, theres nothign that can be done.

And like phil said, I think there is a provision in the law for snakes that are close to human habitation. You don't expect someone to not shoot the dingo (for example) that is about to maul them just because they are protected. In the eyes of the public every snake could kill them - and it is perhaps better that way so people treat them with respect than knowing that some are harmless and not treating them with respect - a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

i think you did well tamarins : )
i would have been bawling my eyes out but your handling this well.
some of you should no that a snake is a snake in most peoples eyes.to them they are all the same.
and of course he's going to kill it, your an idiot if you think he's going to stop and look at the pretty blue sky and think 'hmmm, i dont think i will kill this one today, lets let it go free'.
years of living on a farm will put you into a state of mind to kill anything you see as a threat to your family and livestock, whether that be the neighbours dog or a snake.
sure we can educate him, spend hours with him telling him right from wrong but then, once he agrees its not better to kill the snake and we feel all smug and happy for making some one change, his neighbour will be out there with a shovel.
cant change the past, snake is dead, farmer feels safe, tamarin feels sad.
be happy in the knowledge that her parents wont be on that farm killing snakes unless its called for. : )

Again, this thread is filled with apathy and that typical aussie 'can't be done' attitude. Grow out of that - the more you think it the less that can be done!

C'mon - we've just had TWO threads that proved this country lacks a justice system, so let's see if we can begin to make a difference?

I agree that YT would cause tension between the families if she reported it - but the very least she could do is find out a way to encourage this behaviour stops - and that it never happens again.

Come on - instantly think of all a snakes' good points... Tell him that!

Then you can go on to tell him how good snake relocaters are....

Then you can tell him, if he's lucky, the snake relocater may even let him have a touch... :) Now not many people get to touch a venomous snake - he'd be something of a speciality... just like us with our python bites - we're only i a small percentage on this planet that's been bitten by a snake!

So good luck YT - you've got your work cut out for ya! And so have we all - I've got the lucky privallage of shaping our young minds in the science class room - I don't think any of those classes would ever kill a snake now - and some used to come in with the 'only good snake is a dead snake' attitude :)

So it can be done!

slim6y, please educate me on all the good points of a wild RBB or copperhead.

all i can think of is they are pretty.

Sorry I just thought maybe we should turn this thread positive and give you ideas on snakes' good points...

1: They clear Oz of varmin :) rats, mice, and other pests.

2: They very rarely strike at people - remember there's only 3.2 deaths per year on average - and in those cases they're usually from stupidity and trying to kill the snake.

3: They're quiet, usually unnoticed and very timid.

You might even want to explain that for every snake he sees, there's probably 30 others he doesn't - so imagine that... Has anyone been bitten by the 30 he misses?

Anyone can continue with these good points we can use to educate the not so fortunate snake dislikers of Australia.

slim6y, please educate me on all the good points of a wild RBB or copperhead.

all i can think of is they are pretty.

I hope you like rats and mice - because without wild snakes - including RBBS and coppers, collettes etc - there'd be a hell explosion of rats and mice.. they spread very nasty diseases - snakes do not!

To be honest, I'm glad you're 16, because there's a chance you've got something to learn here.

Don't be naieve about our snakes, they're a valuable resource and much better than something pretty to look at. Without snakes this country would be a very different country indeed.

they keep the population intact... and think - some snakes even eat other snakes (BHP etc).

Keep an open mind when you're dealing with anything people don't like - generally it's because they don't understand!

all very true.
but turn the glass the other way in the light and it will show you a whole new set of colours.
please feel free to go out and change the entire counrtys feelings on snakes, we sure need that to happen.
then take a look on the amount of people that listened and put it into practice.
just because someone says to do it dosent mean that you will.
i am encouraging protection of snakes, it may not seem that way but i am just a s passionate about them as others on this site. just trying to show that the amount of stubborn people who will not change their ways is large. the law cannot always protect things and stop people. : )

this guy killed a single snake, that dosent make it right but it's not going to shatter the entire breeding system of snakes.
you can ask people to change as much as you want, the law can be a tool but not many will listen.
all this pointless arguing about it will help us but not the snake that is dead or the hundreds others that will die one way or another.
just trying to point out that running up to the guys farm with a police and swat team will do more bad than good. one snake may have to die for the rest to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back