my girl had pupps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, his may be papered but they may look like pits as the breeds are very simular. to tell you the truth most council rangers see amstaffs as pitbulls that is why they are not allowed to breed asses the dog and are only allowed to issue the owner with a notice to get their dog assessed by a profetional.

pits originated from cross breeding amstaffs. you only need to have a dog caged if it is a restricted breed or if the dog is demed dangerous. and before a council can lable a dog as dangerous they must get a qualified person to do a temperment test. it sounds like he does own amstaffs but they have been demed dangerous because they are to agressive ect thats why he can still breed them but must have them caged.

both my amstaffs are great loyal dogs, shayton barks and can look scarey but he will not bite he just tries to scare people away and charlott is an absolute baby who does not even bark. garanteed if any of my dogs were to ever bite wit would be my chihuahua before my amstaffs ever would.

Just wanted to point out that Pitbulls originated from crossing Bulldogs with Terriers, bred for fighting. :)

Interesting read about the full history of the Pitbull Pit Bull Breed History -- Pitbull

Just wanted to point out that Pitbulls originated from crossing Bulldogs with Terriers, bred for fighting. :)

Interesting read about the full history of the Pitbull Pit Bull Breed History -- Pitbull

"Ultimately the AKC did recognize the pit bull in 1936, albeit under the designation of the Staffordshire Terrier, named after the region of England where the crossbreeding of bulldogs and terriers is thought to have begun."

that parts interesting

Do you show your dogs? Pedigree breeders have a place if they are improving the breed and hopefully helping to breed out some of the genetic disorders present in our "pures". Such as now German shepherds, labs, goldens, etc have to have hip scores.

I do agree with this somewhat, but 'showing' was the absolute WORST thing that could have happened for some breeds, including the German Shepherd.

Just look at the breed even 50 - 100 years ago, and look at the 'show' quality dog today, they are nothing but a shadow of the magnificence they used to be. Max von Stephanitz would be turning over in his grave. They are one of my favourite breeds and I would love to have one on my life some day, but if I do I will be avoiding show lines at all costs, and going straight for the German working lines which at least somewhat resemble what they used to, and have the working disposition and correct temperament for the breed.

Some 'pedigree' breeders are just as bad as backyard breeders in my eyes though, only doing it do boost their own egos in the show ring and earn as much money as they can by breeding as many litters as they can. I showed my German Shorthaired Pointer a little when he was a pup, but soon left that scene - you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of absolutely NASTY, BITCHY people that do it, there was maybe one other shower I got along with, out of hundreds.

It's also a very very biased thing, dogs don't win because they are the best representation of their breed, they win by WHO the owners are! Honestly, and i'm not tugging my own string here, my little boy was the nicest looking GSP there and very true to his breed standard ( and he should be, his father is one of the most successful GSP's in Australia, with over 15 Best In Shows under his belt ) but not once did he place anything significant because where I live, the breeders name meant nothing and the 'local' breeder held the ring.

History of the change in the german shepherd over the years - YouTube

Last edited:

yeah i'v heard that but alot of sites say that it is a mix of cross breeding amstaffs with bulldogs and some sites reckon its amstaffs cross bulldogs cross terriers. who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

"Ultimately the AKC did recognize the pit bull in 1936, albeit under the designation of the Staffordshire Terrier, named after the region of England where the crossbreeding of bulldogs and terriers is thought to have begun."

that parts interesting

well they dont recognize them any more.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with this somewhat, but 'showing' was the absolute WORST thing that could have happened for some breeds, including the German Shepherd.

Just look at the breed even 50 - 100 years ago, and look at the 'show' quality dog today, they are nothing but a shadow of the magnificence they used to be. Max von Stephanitz would be turning over in his grave. They are one of my favourite breeds and I would love to have one on my life some day, but if I do I will be avoiding show lines at all costs, and going straight for the German working lines which at least somewhat resemble what they used to, and have the working disposition and correct temperament for the breed.

Some 'pedigree' breeders are just as bad as backyard breeders in my eyes though, only doing it do boost their own egos in the show ring and earn as much money as they can by breeding as many litters as they can. I showed my German Shorthaired Pointer a little when he was a pup, but soon left that scene - you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of absolutely NASTY, BITCHY people that do it, there was maybe one other shower I got along with, out of hundreds.

It's also a very very biased thing, dogs don't win because they are the best representation of their breed, they win by WHO the owners are! Honestly, and i'm not tugging my own string here, my little boy was the nicest looking GSP there and very true to his breed standard ( and he should be, his father is one of the most successful GSP's in Australia, with over 15 Best In Shows under his belt ) but not once did he place anything significant because where I live, the breeders name meant nothing and the 'local' breeder held the ring.

i agree alot of dogs were better off the way they were. i don't show my dogs, i can't deal with the whole scene. plus i got better things to do with my time.

those puppies are so cute! Thanks for sharing the pics.

yeah i'v heard that but alot of sites say that it is a mix of cross breeding amstaffs with bulldogs and some sites reckon its amstaffs cross bulldogs cross terriers.

original amstaffs(pit bulls) were the cross breeds of bulldogs and terriers. It was when they were breeding traits out that they became different. Not unusual for breeders to breed father/daughter or mother/son to breed traits into or out of their lines

Has to be said - it's still leaving other dogs without a home, as they are taking up those places. Not many people would think twice about adopting the poor, homeless shelter dog even when they would make a perfectly good family member - when there is a fresh litter of 'cute' puppies born every bloody second..

Good on you for being well prepared, but that doesn't make it any more right. Sorry it's just one of my biggest pet peeves - no pun intended.

Before anyone breeds they should go take a good long walk through the pound, and be there when they have to put down perfectly good loving dogs every single day.. :evil::cry:

How hypocritical of you. By your logic you better get rid of all your clutches in the incubator then, it defently goes the same with herps.

How hypocritical of you. By your logic you better get rid of all your clutches in the incubator then, it defently goes the same with herps.

Hardly. There are many more homeless cats and dogs than there are reptiles. And also the fact by law ( in most areas ) - there is only two dogs maximum in one household lot really puts a strain on the situation.
There's no such rule against reptiles, and most people DEFINITELY keep more than two snakes!

It's inevitable some may end up in less than ideal homes, but if reptiles were at the critical point dogs and cats were, of course I wouldn't be breeding them.

Last edited:
More or less is irrelevant because in your words it's still leaving others without a home. What's good for one is good for another. And so somehow our preferences with liking jags or cross bread mutts is also now been questioned?? Neway moving on this thread has been hijacked enough

Last edited:
You are comparing dogs to reptiles, THAT is completely irrevelant.

Also the fact i've never even SEEN a 'homeless' snake in my 6-7 years in the hobby. There are always more homes for them, unlike dogs. And in the case someone needs to move a reptile on for whatever reasons, they are almost snapped up instantly if they are give-away, the same can't be said for dogs or cats.

Your clearly missing the point, ill let you have the last word as this is growing tiresome. Should you wish to continue this you can pm me or better yet ill hijack your next "how exciting" hatchy thread with some leftist rant.

you'v never seen a homless snake? look in the free to good home sectiion. also i picked up 3 pythons that i was offered to take for free as they no longer had a home and owner had gone another way in his breeding project. one of the snakes he addmitted he did not want it as he had found a better looking one and no longer needed this male for breeding. hmmm

so far this year i have taken in 12 pythons, 1 beardie, 1 blue tongue and 1 turtle. the problem is starting to get bigger than you think. but not as noticable as alot of reptiles get dumped in the bush ect. i just bought a few more multi bay tanks total of 17 enclosures because i had to make room for the 3 new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

but anyway who's got pics of their pups or blue amstaffs? try to get my thread back on track.

Last edited:
or better yet ill hijack your next "how exciting" hatchy thread with some leftist rant.

Very mature.. :rolleyes: I wasn't attacking Saintanger personally, it was just a general comment about the dog industry and backyard breeders as a whole - spreading awareness and making people have a second think about things isn't a crime, when it's the poor dogs and cats that have to pay for our mistakes.

Saintanger sorry for the little biff in your thread, as I said it wasn't really supposed to be directed at you personally - and I do wish you all the best with your new pups.

- - - Updated - - -

you'v never seen a homless snake? look in the free to good home sectiion. also i picked up 3 pythons that i was offered to take for free as they no longer had a home and owne had gone another way in his breeding project.

I understand there's constantly snakes up for sale, and re-homing happening, but in 99% of cases they find homes very quickly do they not (especially when for free)? What I meant was i've never seen a 'homeless' snake that's had to be abandoned or put down if noone wants it. This is what I was just trying to get at.

Also the fact i've never even SEEN a 'homeless' snake in my 6-7 years in the hobby
dont kid yourself , how do you think species from completely different parts of australia (the world at times) get found in random parts of australia , its after someone has released it because they didnt want it , thats pretty close to a " homeless" or unwanted snake , so if youve never seen one or heard of it in 6-7 years you must have your head in the sand

No they always do not and alot get frozen or "dissppsed" of if they don't sell. Do you check reptiles for dog collars to identify which one is homeless and which one isn't? How many generic beardies and pythons are constantly getting pumped out each season that they can't even get rid of when they are practically been given away. I knew someone like you would of ranted on about puppy farms before i even originally opened this thread as I'm sure alot of others did including Saintanger who covered puppy farming in her opening post. Let it be and let this thread move on already.

dont kid yourself , how do you think species from completely different parts of australia (the world at times) get found in random parts of australia , its after someone has released it because they didnt want it , thats pretty close to a " homeless" or unwanted snake , so if youve never seen one or heard of it in 6-7 years you must have your head in the sand

$nakepimp just had a thread about pythons hed found, and it came up in there that a water python was found at a sydney golf course, so yeah to think there are no homeless reptiles is a bit naive in my opinion.

Get it back on track guys and gals !
Or I'll get the relevant mod to go back over this thread and decided what is relevant to the original post

i was going to say that, snakes have been found in areas they are not native to and they all did not escape they get dumped, i know some people in the hobby who breed and if they don't sell all their hatchies they rather release them then give them away for free. some people prefer dumping as its not as noticable as dumping a dog. i have seen people struggle to rehome reptiles that are for free with injuries or deformities. who wants a bluey with MBD, a python with a lump, a turtle with fungus ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Get it back on track guys and gals !
Or I'll get the relevant mod to go back over this thread and decided what is relevant to the original post

thanks, so were are all the blue amstaff pics?

i was going to say that, snakes have been found in areas they are not native to and they all did not escape they get dumped, i know some people in the hobby who breed and if they don't sell all their hatchies they rather release them then give them away for free.

Well that's just completely idiotic and irresponsible - but people are twisting my words here. My point still stands, of course it happens, but NOWHERE near on the same level as what happens to our fluffy companions.

There will always be people happy to take in ' free ' reptiles, although i'm not taking into account the LAZY people who can't take a moment to advertise them as such and instead just release into the wild as everyone has mentioned. Yet there are thousands upon thousands of dogs and cats who can't find homes, even when they ARE free.

And except for the negative impact on the environment obviously, an abandoned snake doesn't really 'care' that it was abandoned into the wild. They don't form attachments to people in the ways dogs and cats do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back