My juvenile ackie is not eating nor moving from the top of the fake wall.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krllll

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

My ackie is 4 months old. I got him 3 weeks ago. After few days he was eating 10 crickets per day. He would climb on my palm whenever I put it in the tank. Once he stayed on my palm after bath about 5 minutes I swear (water temp was about 40 C). 5 days ago he started to dig holes into sand and would no more sleep under the bark he used to. Temps were the same as usual 45 on spot and about 28 in the other end. Was he annoyed by the crickets that would live in the bark holes (about 10 bugs)? Feeding was very sensitive all the time, I would have to toss them from a distant point to approx. 3 cm from his nose. No other way would he eat at all. He wouldn't eat anymore after digging these holes and would sleep there several hours per day after waking up.

Now, he was moved into larger tank with same items but 7 times more land space plus fake rock walls in three walls. Now he has been 3 days in the far upper end of the tank and not coming down to eat or explore the tank. Only basking is with the UVB lamp and daylight lamp. Sometimes he crawls behind the wall squeezing behind the real wall and fake wall (tank was manufactured by some other lizard owner, I did not know about this small cavern). Temps in the terrarium are basking spot 45 C ( he hasn't even been there) and cooler end about 27 C. 10 ventilation holes in walls plus one bigger in the ceiling, daylight lamp, repti UVB lamp 10.0.

Is something wrong with him? What can I do? Been on my toes for 3 days trying not to disturb him, only changed his water (which has not been touched). I'm worried.:( Is styrofoam dangerous if swallowed by the lizard (styrofoam behind the fake wall)?

Try increasing the heat of your basking spot, 45C is too low for an ackie, it should be at least 60C. Your ackie wasn't annoyed by crickets living in the bark.

It's very unlikely that he would have swallowed styrofoam, the only way he could do that is if he took some in with food. I'm not a monitor expert, but the first thing I'd be looking at would be the temps. It may be that the enclosure is generally too cold for Acanthurus, and the number of ventialtion holes, especially one big one in the ceiling, would be letting a lot of heat out. Monitors are usually very vigorous feeders, and actively pursue their food. The fact that he was only taking stuff when placed close to his nose suggests to me that he isn't operating at optimum temps. You need a good hotspot, and general ambient warmth (maybe 35C) throughout the cage for monitors to function well.

Jamie.

he's also probably just getting used to the new enclosure :) just let him settle in for
maybe a week if you see him moving around then drop a few crickets in. and as the others have said increase his temps, basking spot should be anywhere between 50 and 65.

Thanks Mates! I raised the basking spot few inches and covered some of the ceiling vent., lets see what happens after few days.

I own water monitors and they LOVE THE HEAT ...I notice if my temp drops a little my guys will stand up on the log and actually hug the light guard...so agree with the likes of the others saying UP THE HEAT...

Good start. The response should be pretty quick (i.e., same day) if things are heated up to optimum temps. Remember he needs to be warm enough to move to the hot spot in the first place, and this may mean warming the whole enclosure. Just try covering the entire ceiling vent, even a small one lets nearly all the warm air out through convection (I'm not a fan of ceiling ventilation in cooler climates, they are far too effective). Monitors are active prowlers - they'll bask for a while then move around, foraging for food and just generally staying in control of their environment. If the entire enclosure is too cool to encourage or facilitate this, his reduced appetite and activity level will be the first indicators that the temps are not to his liking.

Jamie

agreed monitors feeding responses arent for the faint hearted they come at me full steam ahead ,they even know if i am picking up their empty food plates to put their tucker on ..they come running at me and even tail whip in excitement...

Then how come he was looking for a deep sand burrow in the smaller tank earlier? Temps were higher. I thought it was because of the heat. Is it because of the "day" been too cold? Do you keep lights on 24/7 or 12/12? How do you feed live crickets? They tend to escape from him if too inactive.

He may have been looking for a place of relatively high humidity to assist with shedding especially if the enclosure hat ventilation at the top that allowed all the humid air to escape. There is no doubt monitors like it hot. I know people who keep them with a basking spot of 70C and ambient temps of above 30C and they thrive. 12/12 for lights is the best regime.

You'll find that they will catch live crickets easily if they are warm enough, and they will hunt the escapees throughout the day by sight & smell.

Jamie

By raise the basking spot they dont mean inches... they mean temperature :p Ackies like a hot basking spot... with the ability to vary that with the use of the 'ackie stack'. Im going to be getting a pair of monitors early next year and from my research and my experience with beardies... if a lizards basking spot and temperature gradients aren't spot on they go off their food pretty quick :)

You also have to remember ,he is a young monitor so burrowing down is also a form of feeling safe n secure ,leave him be for a while only feed and change water ,do not interact with him at all and let him do this on his own account,when I first got mine they were dead scared of me and would hiss and try n bury their heads and get under the logs...after a while now that they know there isnt a threat ,they dont even move if I am changing water ,and now the buggers actually charge at me when feeding time is happening ,they have no fear of me at all ...its a time issue ,if your temps are good as you say ,and your providing enough hides,then its a matter of time thats all ...

I suppose raising the basking area closer to lamp raises temperature also? I have a thermometer. Lets see and wait. Ceiling vent is now closed and there are more hiding places in sight.

I suppose raising the basking area closer to lamp raises temperature also? I have a thermometer. Lets see and wait. Ceiling vent is now closed and there are more hiding places in sight.
Also purchasing 100 watt basking lamp to replace 75 watt. Or should it be 150?

It will depend on a number of factors such as the size of your enclosure and the material it's made from. You might have to experiment until you get the temps right. Having said that I doubt you will need a 150w, so try 100w first.

Terrarium is 150x50x50cm with three climbable walls and slide glass doors in front.
dscn3165q.jpg

It will depend on a number of factors such as the size of your enclosure and the material it's made from. You might have to experiment until you get the temps right. Having said that I doubt you will need a 150w, so try 100w first.

Last edited:
if he is at the opposite end of the tank it could be to hot ambient temp. dont let your cool end get over 30 if possible.
Also baby ackies and any baby monitors in general are very shy and secretive creatures. i personally think that tank is waaaay to big for it.
i keep my babies in big black bunning tubs. that way the food cannot escape and its much easier for them to catch their food.
I would put it back into the smaller cage and keep feeding till it takes them from tongs. just use the 100 watt light first cos u dont wanna over heat the hole cage.
if u have any probs just send me a pm.
eventually he will calm down and come out more. itsw probably he is just a bit worried about the new cage. also try putting roaches in a chinese container with fluon around the edges. that way he can eat when he wants when will probably be when u are not in the room to start with.

anyway good luck but sounds a bit like typical baby monitor behaviour that is a bit worried about a new environment :)

So today I found him warming up against our radiator pipe in the corner of the terrarium room. Don't have a clue how he escaped from the tank just after yesterday. Back into his old smaller tank where I can control him better. Thank you people for your help. What a relief!

OK. So, today I removed the fakewalls from the bigger terrarium, added some hiding places and temps are now at the basking spot 66C and cooler end 27. Ambient temp somewhere in the between. Humidity and moist soil around his sleeping hole. Running around the cage digging around, BUT NOT EATING! Bowl with live cricks 7 cm from the basking spot. What the **ll is happening now? Yesterday in the smaller tank he ate 12 crickets but I couldn't keep him there anymore. He escapes from there easily and the is NO way I can change that, tank is too low. Please, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back