My juvenile ackie is not eating nor moving from the top of the fake wall.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, work out how to stop him escaping...

Secondly, all this fussing is bound to stress him out a bit. Leave him be for a day or two and then try feeding.

Oh, sorry. He cant escape from the bigger tank he is occupying right now. Just running against walls and trying to climb. Licking near the vent holes... what is he doing? I've seen a great variety on care sheets about temps (basking, ambient, cool end, night). Could some expert give me the right numbers? He is certainly not afraid of me. He comes to lick my fingers and every time climbs to my open palm. I have not been too pushy.

Firstly, work out how to stop him escaping...

Secondly, all this fussing is bound to stress him out a bit. Leave him be for a day or two and then try feeding.

In the past I have have witnessed them basking under 70degC so basically the basking site can't get too hot for them - they just love heat. The trick is to make sure they can escape the heat as well. I used to have them in an open top fish tank. They could bask and increase their body temp and would run around the enclosure for a while before basking again. The open top ensured the ambient temp was low enough for them to cool down if needed.

I would give him a day or two without food and just observe his behavour. It won't hurt him at all to miss a couple of feeds. If he starts basking again he will more than likely have a strong feeding response again as well.
Have you tried any other foods besides crickets? They love meat also. I used to feed mine a mix of beef, chicken and turkey mince and also occasional bits of lean steak.

Thanks buck. Is burrowing good for juvenile ackies? Or should I keep the soil dryer? It's seems that he likes to be in his cave now, so he wont eat and wont grow? Is he going to be the Danny De Vito of ackie world? This is his idea of warming up right now (under the fakerock his "taking sun at" is his humid burrowing cave):
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3332/dscn3166r.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks buck. Is burrowing good for juvenile ackies? Or should I keep the soil dryer? It's seems that he likes to be in his cave now, so he wont eat and wont grow? Is he going to be the Danny De Vito of ackie world? This is his idea of warming up right now (under the fakerock his "taking sun at" is his humid burrowing cave):
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3332/dscn3166r.jpg

Today I found out that he is shedding. Could this be the answer for burrowing all day and night long?

no the burrowing is insecurity just make sure u dont fuss to much. he probably wont eat in front of you so just leave food in there. even just dump a few crickets and leave them in there with him. eventually he will eat in front of you but not as a baby. its hard and will seem like hes small for ages but he will eventualy grow. they also grow at different rates so dont worry if he grows slowly :)

I made him a wet box. Changed soil to a more moisture substrate (sand into sand and peat). Left him alone for a day. Saw him eating one cricket. Doesn't care about me when I sprayed him with water (I think I have dried him out with sand substrate and open top). He is running around the terrarium licking air, burrowing a lot. Not eating like it should. 65C to 28C humidity 55-65%. Though he is basking he does it in quick paces. Should I build him a retes stack??

Oh and yes, Sweetangel I think you are right about him being shy when it comes eating in front of me but he does it shy even without me. Constipated because of dehydration?

ackies dig, it's not from insecurity, it's just what they do,
they like to explore thier surroundings, they are very inquisitive,
but at the same time, they like places to hide when they need to, so cage furniture they can climb on, through, under is great. make sure if they can get under it, that it cant sink and trap them.

chicken mince is not reccomended, if left alone it can go off to quick.
best to use kangaroo mince, you can buy it as cat food from woolies and aldi.

66 is a good temp, but they really do like it hot, so don't be afraid if it gets to 70-75,
mine has gone over 80 before, but only on the basking spot, rest of thew enclosure is room temp, 25-35*
the UV tube is not nessicary, but wont hurt.

search my threads and you'll find alot of usefull info.

Acanthurus are also dry climate monitors, they don't need or necessarily want high humidity. They come from very arid zones. If it has access to fesh water it won't be dehydrated. Digging is normal behaviour, as already stated. It's possible you're 'over managing' the animal, and fussing too much. If the temps and other parameters are OK, the lizard will be fine.

Jamie.

kangaroo mince ,eggs, chopped up rodent and baby chicks chopped up ..THEY LOVE IT ...my water monitors also eat redclaw and fish ...but try the meaty variety ..make sure you chop it into small bite sizes and watch him go to town on it ..

It's hard to get kangaroo in Finland but ill go for the eggs =) How should I give it. Boiled, raw, scrambled?

It's hard to get kangaroo in Finland but ill go for the eggs =) How should I give it. Boiled, raw, scrambled?

Ha - not sure anyone noticed that!!! Eggs can be given boiled & chopped up, shell & all, mice, quail or any meaty things are often taken eagerly if chopped into small bite-sized pieces. (Chop them up while frozen - almost no mess - and offer the pieces after they've been thawed - I usually thaw in a zip-lock bag in hot water (not boiling)). Place them on a piece of slate or tile so they don't collect flooring material before it's swallowed.

Jamie

It's like sweetangel said (three times I think ;) ), terrarium was way to big for him. I removed the wet box, gathered all the familiar furniture close to the basking spot and VOILÁ, he gained his confidence back in a second (maybe in an hour or so). His secure hiding box was too far away and too comforting. Environment changes changed his behavior in a day towards "his normal". Now I know it sounds like a paradox, but taking away his change to get too solitary far away from the basking spot, changed him to be more bolder. I guess he wouldnt get his temps up like he should. He his chasing crickets in the terrarium even right now when I'm writing this, and it's early morning here! How can I thank you all! Thank you! *taking a deep bow* Lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Great to hear!!!!! Just keep the heat up to him and he'll be fine. Don't forget about a bit of raw meat now and then. They love it.

Doing Great!

Well, its been a while now and my ackie is doing Great! :D The final solution for starvation was very simple. Just threw couple of dubia into tank, and there it was. He started to eat and hunt like crazy. Don't have a clue why he didn't like cricks? Actually I'm pretty much all out of dubia right now so have to buy some more (like 200). :lol:

He is looking mighty fat now!

Thank you all for your wonderful support!

I'd be careful of any roo mince you use that is intended for cats and dogs, alot of the time it contains Preservative 220 which has been proven to be very bad for them.

I would use roo mince intended for human consumption, little bit harder to get but it's possible. And if you follow my recipe http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/lizard-recipes-152147/ you could sub chicken for roo if you wanted to.

I'd be careful of any roo mince you use that is intended for cats and dogs, alot of the time it contains Preservative 220 which has been proven to be very bad for them.

I would use roo mince intended for human consumption, little bit harder to get but it's possible. And if you follow my recipe http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/lizard-recipes-152147/ you could sub chicken for roo if you wanted to.

Well I gave him only chicken and reindeer mince (human food)! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back