My new EWD tank. :D set up tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
6242779563_653a00470d_z.jpg

How would you go setting up this eastern water dragon tank? i have a lot of big branches and 1 big hollow log, all have been soaked in hot water and now i need some ideas of how to chuck it all together. I have a big water tub to put in and im not sure what end to make my hot and cold ends. i have a 10.0 fluro to put in and im using a ceramic heat fitting for basking. as its in my room bright spotlights suck at night lol. as for uv should i be putting branches as high as possible for them to get close or do you think the uv will get right down? if there is anything im missing im keen to know.

Also if anyone has experience with glass enclosures should i be careful about the amount of weight i put on the sides? its 8mm glass.

cheers in advance

Toby,

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
i remember mine used to love sleeping on a branch overhanging the water, so if you can position a branch that way i'd recomend it. also if that big hollow can lay sideways it could be used for a hide too.... dont know if they would go inside it if it's upright. with the fluro make sure there is a branch to bask pretty close to it, as it's only effective up to about 20ish cm i think

I was thinking that, i've got one that i think i will put up close to the light. Also i did lay the log down it looked nice and if i put it up the front i can see right through it just didnt know if they like to hold on and stand upright?

just didnt know if they like to hold on and stand upright?

me either, i had hides for the 3 years i owned a EWD and never saw it in them, it had 3 spots, in the water to sleep and 'hide'( it was very skittish). on the log over the water, and on the flat rock under the ceramic heat lamp, it would leave a trail from the water to the bask spot as it would just go back and forth all day long,lol......other than then those 3 spots, the rest of the 5 foot tank never got used, haha

Uv rays are usually affective up to about 30 - 40 cm. After that the effectiveness
Of the light starts to fade. My ewd is always on his branch right under the uv tube.

I like those logs mate, im sure your dragon will find it very homely.
Here is mine.
P5200202.jpgIMG_0050.jpg

The first pic is the enclosure which is split in two. his section is 1m wide 1.2m high 700 deep (he is on the right). second is him a few months ago. at the bottom of the enclosure i have a tub of water with a small aquarium filter in it which i found helps heaps. i just clean it out once a week. it makes a good current which you could make into a waterfall if u want. ie attach a tube to the outlet and run it to the top of the water feature. i used to have that setup in his old enclosure but he got too big for it haha. here it is. the water runs down the bamboo.
07112010243.jpg
as for what end to put the heat, i dont think it matters too much as long as you get good temps. i found glass doesnt insulate very well so if u upgrade his tank once he grows up a bit maybe look at another alternative to glass.

Cheers for the photos, i agree that the glass doesn't insulate very well at all. my cold end seems to go up and down a good few degrees with the weather but only goes as low as 20 on a very cold night and 25 under the basking lamp at night and 35 under the basking lamp at day time.

ive att: a few pictures of how i have it set up exept now i have a ceramic heat lamp and the water tub has been changed for a 7ltr sisteema container so it is easier to change. im looking in to getting a big glass water section with a fluval canister filter.

View attachment 223443
View attachment 223446

attachments didnt work. yeah canister filters are the way to go.

Mine are in a 4x1.5x2ft high tank, they have several places they sleep, on the waterfall, on sticks up high close to ceramic heat lamp and UV, in their fake vines, on ledges at the back of the tank up high and on a heated slate tile on the floor. I used to have hides for them, but never ever saw them when they were hatchies.

during the day they go from water to basking spot and back all day. They love being up high.

About 1/3 of the floor area is water, I have a canister filter to help keep it clean, the pond in their tank over flows into another tank and is pumped back up to a waterfall, this gives me about 80 litres in circulation, so it stays clean.

Attachments

• IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
If you keep putting beers in there, than I will be your EWD:D

Toby, I like your enclosure, its got lots of potential.
8mm glass will be almost bullet proof, you don't have to worry about leaning stuff on the glass.
I have changed my set up quite a few times, just set it up how you think, then watch them and see how they use the things that are in there.

6294185172_50ac350a88_z.jpg

6293660803_42a095e287_z.jpg

mudgudgeon you have definitely put some effort in to that tank. it looks great. i feel i made the right choice with the substrate as they have made a few burrows that they spend a bit of time in and they love the water tub. quite skittish at the moment but seem to be settling in now. the male seems more wary than the female.

Last edited:
Looks good, they are cool little guys. How old are they?
Mine are just under a year old.

What did you use for your substrate? That's one thing I want to change. Originally I had sand, but it goes every where and I was worried they would be swallowing it from catching crickets on the sand. the pebbles are ok, buy they can't dig in the pebbles and one tries to all the time.

Looks good, they are cool little guys. How old are they?
Mine are just under a year old.

What did you use for your substrate? That's one thing I want to change. Originally I had sand, but it goes every where and I was worried they would be swallowing it from catching crickets on the sand. the pebbles are ok, buy they can't dig in the pebbles and one tries to all the time.

They are 6 months old, I Just got them from COOLDENTURESBRO on here and am so happy with them. Big thanks to you aswell im very happy with these little guys. They are slowly getting used to me and now they will stay on their log as i walk past instead of bailing for the burrow or water lol.

I used half of a coir block from bunnings with no additives, they expand so much and cost very little and hold a bit of moisture and is quite easy to keep clean. They can dig and scratch around and the crickets cannot hide( although they seem to do well at topping themselfs in the water).

HURCORH- how old is that dragon? is he quite happy to just sit on your hand and stuff like that or is he quite skittish? great looking dragon. :)

Awwww how cute are they on the log together!! Glad youre happy with them! They are cool lil things!

I am very much, Wesker has started to come out when im around and Jill is more trusting than him... she will sit there even when the tank is open now.. im trying to get her to take crickets off the tongs now. i hope in the future i will be able to hold them.. :)

Oh really?! Was the opposite for me! Jill would freak and hide...meanwhile Wesker would just chill, and runover too me for food, and take it from tongs/a container no worries!

Best of luck with settling them!

I do miss waking up too hearing them scurrying around!

Yeah I always have crickets trying to learn back stroke.

Do you have anything sitting in your water tub? I have rocks on mine that give the lizards and crickets something to climb onto to get out of the water. I was going to suggest it before, it would worry me having a tub of water that the lizards may not be able to get out of. I know they are water dragons but if for any reason they couldn't get out, they can't tread water forever. (not sure how deep your tub is, just a suggestion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back