My reptile hunt in NT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

I captured this photo when herping in northern teritory close to Darwin.
Monsoon_Monitor.jpg

Cool slatey!
did you manage to identify it??
They are pretty common at TWP, and we have one in the monitor pit @ reptiles ;)

Excellent slatey, It's unreal to see big monitors in the wild. I've seen a couple of lace monitors on bush walks and they're just awesome.:)

LOL I have no idea what type of monitor that is as I am not in lizards at all. And this one was so nice to me and did not run away.

From all the pictures I have, that would have to be the best looking V. panoptes I've ever seen.

Simon Archibald

The way I tell the difference to be 100 percent sure, is that panoptes up here have a banded tail, whilst gouldi dont. Goulds do in sydney though...
you cant see the tail in this photo tho, so I figured it out by the spots on the neck!

Yeah my rellies own cattle properties out from charters towers near Townsville and they have loads of monitors like that running around. infact last time i was up there we were moving all piles of tubing and my lil 8 yr old cousin call out to his dad, "SNAKE" so my uncle ran over and put his boot through its head. i went over and looked at it and u'll neva guess what he killed...it was a tiny BHP. about 30 cm or so. i was sorry 4 the loss. but to my uncles defence, they have HEAPS of browns etc around and with little kids he doesn't want to risk them getting hurt. sad story sorry.
pete

I saw heaps of panoptes in Kakadu a few years ago, really friendly and wonderful to see. I've been wondering how they're getting on with their new toady companions.

...it was a tiny BHP. about 30 cm or so
Are you sure it was a BHP? They usually hatch out much larger, do you think it was a little runt or could it have been something else? Sometimes browns hatch out with black heads and stripes.

spose its possible. hadn't given it all that much thought ay. i m prety sure it was about 30. possibly up to 45, but no bigger then that. u think its a brown?

in the other days paper it talked about australias equivalent to cock fighting which is goanna fighting. its sick stuff, the poor lizards are blinded and thrown in a pit to fight to the death :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back