My shingleback... WANTS to come out?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

My shingleback's settled in lovely since I've got her and in my limited experience she's been the best I've had so far. She eats lovely, has only once displayed one the first day I had her, shedding beautifully and seems to 'enjoy' being handled.

But... lately I've been handling her a bit more and really gettig her used to be out, and she seems to relish it, from what I can understand loving the new smells and nice body heat.

Now she's glass-dancing and pasing quite a bit, climbing up all her cage furniture and decorations. She's fed, has water, correct temps, suitable size enclosure... what could she want?!

As soon as I open the door she climbs straight into my hand and relaxes... then I put her onto my bed (reptile room is also my room... one tiel, one beardy, one shingle, had blueys and me... so cosy!), I always have her there when she comes out and she has the brains not to walk off the edge.

But... when I bring her out and put her on the bed, she'll walk around for a bit, exploring between the blankets and climbing up my leg, then she comes and sits next to me on my laptop. I'll lift her up and put her on my chest and she settles right down and sits with her legs tucked in and eyes open happily for hours.

If I put her back the glass-dancing and pacing starts again.

Why do she do this? She's in great health... I know reptiles can't 'want attention' nor do they get anything from it... but seems she likes it! Does she want exercise? Bored of her enclosure?

I need ideas... why does my young little shingle do this, can something be wrong?

I think certain reptiles do enjoy attention i know of quite a few bearded dragons who display similar behavior and there all in perfect health

I think certain reptiles do enjoy attention i know of quite a few bearded dragons who display similar behavior and there all in perfect health

That's what I want to hear, hehe! But it just perplexes me... to have it drilled into you so many times that, "reptiles don't like 'x', reptile can't enjoy 'x'"... they obviously haven't met my shingle.
:p

i disagree that they dont enjoy attention, my beardies are complete cuddle tarts and the shingles are very quickly becoming the same way,...

my shingles are still in an enclosure at this point since theyre still being toilet trained, and 2 of them are constantly scratching at the glass, theyve worked out that the sand/bark section is slippery and one lays flat at the front so the other one has something to stand on and can make a bigger scene lol,...

once the door gets opened theyre both off exploring, im amazed at how fast those little legs can move!!!

the smaller pair seem content in the cage at this point.

i wouldnt think anything is wrong, its just bored of the enclosure,......

i disagree that they dont enjoy attention, my beardies are complete cuddle tarts and the shingles are very quickly becoming the same way,...

my shingles are still in an enclosure at this point since theyre still being toilet trained, and 2 of them are constantly scratching at the glass, theyve worked out that the sand/bark section is slippery and one lays flat at the front so the other one has something to stand on and can make a bigger scene lol,...

once the door gets opened theyre both off exploring, im amazed at how fast those little legs can move!!!

the smaller pair seem content in the cage at this point.

i wouldnt think anything is wrong, its just bored of the enclosure,......

Hehe, thanks Chris! Surpsises me that it's my fat little shingle who's the attention craver and not my little bearded... sometimes I think my shingle enjoys my company more than my cockatiel does!

It amuses me how she can be so bored within the enclosure yet so content sitting on my chest and doing nothing at all... just passing time.
:)

Yes, whoever coined the phrase 'sleepy lizards' for shinglebacks got it totally wrong!

My two are exactly the same. They don't care where they are, as long as it's not confined!

I have one who is quite happy to sleep on the lounge, on the bed, on me .. just not in the tank! And one who is a bit of a Forest Gump and would walk and walk and walk till he fell off the earth.

I think reptiles are like all animals. You get back what you put in.
My shingles are just like puppies but with scales. They seem to enjoy different environments and sights, sounds, smells.

It's a shame that shingles and bluetongues are oftern referred to as 'beginner' reptiles that you should move on from once you have experience. They have great personalities and seem to enjoy human interaction more so than alot of other animals. I have 4 lizards. If I had the time I'd have alot more than that!

Agree with this post completely. I also have experienced this with my shingleback. Always up at the glass, wanting to get out. Makes you feel like she isnt happy with her enclosure setup and no matter how many times its changed, she always wants out. As soon as i open that door shes out on the floor wandering around and lapping up pats behind the ear. And my shingleback enjoys the company over my cockatiel anyday too.
Its definately a shame they have been classed as a beginers pet.

And one who is a bit of a Forest Gump and would walk and walk and walk till he fell off the earth.

!

yes yes yes!!
that sounds just like the one i call missy the explorer!!!! :)

and 85Hickey,totally agree, ive never know any animal to love rubs behind the ear as much as these guys, they totally lean into my finger!!!

my dog didnt even enjoy pats as much as these guys!!

yes yes yes!!
that sounds just like the one i call missy the explorer!!!! :)

and 85Hickey,totally agree, ive never know any animal to love rubs behind the ear as much as these guys, they totally lean into my finger!!!

my dog didnt even enjoy pats as much as these guys!!

Ahhh Chris you just spoil the heck out of those little guys :D, When i die i want to come back as one of your critters :D

Good to hear she's doing well in her new home. Someone picked up her sibling a few days ago and I think that one is going to be just as spoiled so I'm glad they've both gone to good homes :)

I think reptiles do like coming outside to explore, most animals need some sort of enrichment and I think a lot of reptile keepers argue that they don't, simply because the animals have no way of letting us know.
Things as simple as switching hides between enclosures, to give them new smells, work great. In some of my large enclosures I also spread their food out and put bits in hard to reach places so it gives them something to work on during the day and keep them busy.

hahaha, no worries Craig, ill reserve a spot for u! :)
(no need to rush tho, lol,...) :p

Good to hear she's doing well in her new home. Someone picked up her sibling a few days ago and I think that one is going to be just as spoiled so I'm glad they've both gone to good homes :)

I think reptiles do like coming outside to explore, most animals need some sort of enrichment and I think a lot of reptile keepers argue that they don't, simply because the animals have no way of letting us know.
Things as simple as switching hides between enclosures, to give them new smells, work great. In some of my large enclosures I also spread their food out and put bits in hard to reach places so it gives them something to work on during the day and keep them busy.

Hey, great to know you're here aswell! I can assure you she's been treated like a total princess (yeah, screw reserving it for my dog or cockatiel) and I do think she just enjoys being out, even it is just to explore for 5 and then curl up with me and act like a total slob (like her owner!).

Certainly the best reptile I've ever kept or met and I'll continue to put all the time in the world into her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back