My Snake Encounters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty sleeping and was wandering my mind over my encounters with wild snakes during my life, and thought I'd put them up here and see what others have had themselves. My encounters are few and far between, but some are comical and I have remembered them all. I've been a lover of reptiles since a child, and I was lucky enough to have a mother who liked them too. She purchased our first snake when I was around 8 (a lovely children's who slept in my shirt all day). She has owned another since then and now I have my own with hopes of expanding and eventually breeding. During my years in Aus and SE Asia I've had the following encounters. The earliest in the Territory were in the early to mid 90's, the latest just a year or so ago. Please do add on your own stories.

N.T - Hayes Creek: Was walking down the creek with friends and family, spotted a water python in a pond along the trail. We didn't disturb it, and to this day I adore its pearlescent shene.

N.T - Darwin: Lived with an olive python for several months while living as caretakers at a local school. I remember she was bloody huge, at least 3m and certainly a risk to our nosy cat, but she spent her days in our tin shed (our living area) against the warm metal. Mum took her over the back to a lagoon to spare the cat, but we found her a few weeks later in the boys toilets one night when heading for a shower, we just walked over her, she never struck or minded being moved along.

N.T - Darwin: While still living at the school, several kids came to my mum in the morning announcing that there was a snake in a tree. Mum went to investigate and discovered it was a carpet python. She took it out of the tree and showed it around the classes during the day before she let it go into the bush across from the school.

QLD - Gladstone: Walked into my room to find my cat playing with something strange tangled in my Barbie doll's hair. On closer inspection I discovered it was a children's python and grabbed the cat to stop him harrassing the poor little guy. I went out and said something like 'mum there's a children's python in my babrie's hair', to which my mum had a chuckle and then realised I was serious. It took a while to cut the little guy free and he was very aggitated when it was all said and done. We let him go in the bush near our house.

SE Asia - Lao PDR: Found my cat playing with a small snake in the living room. I got the cat away and inspected it to get an idea as to what it was. I was lucky enough to have just watched a program on Thailand's snake charmers and knew that this was a hatchling rat snake, I pinned him gently down and took him outside into the garden.

lol@ in the barbies hair

When I was about 7 or 8, I found a small tiger snake in the front yard just lying in the driveway, I ran inside and asked my mother for a container, when she asked me what for.. she almost pulled her hair out and called a catcher to come get it, she locked all the doors and windows while she waited for them to come and told me to stand on a chair in the kitchen..
I thought he was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! and from that moment.. I became addicted to scales.. hehehe.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back