My views on ..........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
My views on Moderating our forums.

I think the point of moderating the work and comments placed in our forums by our members should be to ensure that the forums provide the resource that they are supposed to. That's why most of us came here in the first place. There's plenty of room for healthy discussion and agreement/disagreement but no room for and personal criticisms or abuse. This is something that some may consider subjective but I think if you have the above rule in its simplest form, there's no chance of confusion.

The moderators of our site are all involved with the site and regularly post items themselves. To be a moderator and a contributor you must play the role of moderator first. This means that before you jump in with your 2c worth, pause for a moment and consider the implications of your action. If you're honest with yourself you know what the likely outcome of your comments will be. As a moderator you have the responsibility to moderate a situation and NOT cause or fuel it.

Some of the problems we've had in recent weeks and months with moderation stem from the fact that things go off topic. Once this has happened it needs to be brought back ASAP. Maybe the moderator should put in a post at that point to highlight this. If a post gets personal or makes any dodgy comments about people or other businesses etc. then these post should be moved to a non public forum for general moderator discussion. This would allow any follow up action to be taken in a controlled way and also avoid the site being considered in a bad light.

I also believe that there is a 'them and us' feeling out there and non moderators may feel that us moderators consider ourselves something special. I believe that to be a moderator is to be of service to all members and as such there is a real responsibility to give the job the correct measure of attention. We shouldn't be a bunch of 'Cowboys' with big boots. We should be mature and unambiguous in our role.

Finally there is responsibility from the unencumbered members of the site (non-moderators). You all need to behave like properly too. This site is only as good as its good content and worse than its bad. Some of us need to grow up. I've seen more maturity from some of our younger members (eg Alexahander) than from some of our more mature aged members. How does that make us look. We act like a bunch of jerks and as a result loose members the members that add value. I know that if I was a respected Herpetologist in the public eye you wouldn't see any posts from me on this site.

Originally I was going to post this in the moderators forum but I think it is more appropriate here.

My moderators 2c worth.

I like your views Grahamh and I"m sure so will the majoraty of APS members :wink:

I like most of it except your ending [[[I know that if I was a respected Herpetologist in the public eye you wouldn't see any posts from me on this site.]]]
I am actually very proud member here and if i would be respected Herp. I would still be loyal to our site.
Lately lot of people criticize everything and don't see the great part of our community.

Unfortunately it's human nature to see the bad things before the good things and no,i'm not a "the glass is half empty" type of person but it's the rubbish that seems to come thru heavily sometimes in the forums. I agree with Graham about his 'respected Herpetologist statement'. It would be off-putting to even beginners coming to the site let alone experienced people to see all the rubbish.

I dont particularly agree with everything thats been said, but I would like to pick up on one point that Gregory made.
It is off-putting for beginners to post a forum. As a beginner myself, I find that I'm now sending Private Messages instead of posting in the discussion forum....
I know this is a brilliant site, and for the most part the community-feeling is great, but sometimes it can be a bit daunting to us newies :)

Well I personally love this site just the way it is! I believe it is the friendly banter etc that makes this site excellent and keeps the members coming back for more. We have lost some members due to off topic posts etc but I consider that to be their loss and think they should get a life. There are plenty of sites out there where I feel uncomfortable due to the "Holier than thou" attitude of their members and administrators etc, I no longer bother with these sites and this one is the only one I now use regularly, (daily).
I say keep this site exactly the way it is and enjoy it, it is, after all, the choice of the individual whether or not he / she comes in here or not.
JMO
Thanks Slateys for a terrific and very worthwhile site, I for one love it just the way it is.

I agree with MrAfrica.
The only thing that might put some off is the attitude of some who think answers have to be given by someone whos highly qualified and anyone who offers their observations or opinions are jumped on.
As far as some topics going off and turning into fun I think its great.You can still get valuable pieces of info or advice and have a laff at the same time.
cheers M.......

:p I have watched this site go up n down like a bloody yoyo,& through all the crap its gone through even at its lowest points its still the best site i have found & definately the most fun.There has been a couple of problem peoples that just enjoy stirring S**T but hopefully we can stopp that early,the moderators have still only been here a very short time & we are bound to experience teething problems.This site will continue to grow & the moderators will eventually get it right i think we could all be a little more patient & tolerant of other people. :p

I JUST LOVE THE GLOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed

I gotta say I agree with the above positive comments.

I agreed to be a moderator/administrator simply because I want to help the community. It's certainly not a "power trip" thing for me.

This job involves a lot of extra work and responsibility if we are going to do it well, and the rewards we receive is to see a better place (hopefully) for us all to share our hobby and have fun.

I think SJ has done a brilliant job creating this site together with the support of his father and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Kirov_girl, I'd really like to know why you don't post anymore. Maybe if you give us your reasons, we can all moderate our behaviour so that newbies feel more comfortable. After all, this site is for everyone - experienced and newbies alike. Personally, I still feel very much a newbie, particularly when compared to the more experienced members of this community. :wink:

I think Popp got it right - this is still the best herp site around and that's why I AM still here. Funnily enough the old feeling seems to be back over the last few days.
Go APS - I guess we're still evolving.

G 8)

Yous want to hear my 2 cents worth?
you want the truth? you can't handle the truth

I think Fangs summed it up in 1,too much of this "oh so and so knows everything while the other person knows nothing".Theres also too much bitching and bickering.I swear you's dont have anything else to do.You all act like nagging wifes and drama queens.If you's dont have anything to bitch about you will make the slightest thing up.There is also all this opposing team crap (and I dont mean LTG vs HTG) I mean there is members that just dont get along with other members at any point possible they try to stir each other up.To be honest with my collection stolen,the nonsense in the hobby and the crap involved with hobbyists,Im truely considering giving up herping and start collecting models or something.The whole hobby is looking like a dissapointment in my eyes.

Take this thread anyway you like.Personally,generally I really dont care. Delete it if you must.Ban me even.Unlike majority here that cares too much about reputation and leaving a good impression on their fellow members,I dont care one bit,I aint here to impress anyone,I aint here to get a reputation as a so called big time breeder,and I aint concerned with how people see me or what they expect of me.I have no shame,no embarrassment and no regrets. (yea! easy to act a clown or lose my jocks)

I'm with Graham, Africa, Fangs. and Popp etc who have posted positive comments. APS is the best site around - why else would we be here?

The site will always be evolving as it's a living breathing thing... Sometimes it yo-yos, sometimes there's a bad patch, but you always know it'll bounce right back... It's like a person, no one has a fantastic day everyday...

I think APS is a great resource for herpers, and a place I've met some pretty good people. So even at it's worst I'll still be pretty pleased to have been a part of it. :D

MY GOT Cyber, you have me confused. Do you like to be member here?
Or you don't like this site? Sorry but my bad english language skill left me lost. LOL :eek: :?
And i know at least one man who i respect a lot, who is our great member and frequently sending articles and contributing to our forums. I think that he is respected Herpetologist . Paulalways when is herp problem and advice needed, he is here for us with his world of wisdom.

My 2 cents

Personally i think there is nothing wrong with this site at all.
Its easily the best site out there. When i first came to this site i was edgy about posting in the forums, but only becuase i knew nothing about herps (still dont know much) and didnt want to ask silly questions. This all stopped after going into the chat room and getting to know the people that actually use it. I found people from there were very freindly and wanted to help, almost seemed like they were itching for it, this also seemed to be the case in the forums. Dont change the site or the way its moderated, i dont think you need to worry about the forums getting off track...most of the time the question has been answered before it gets off track, whats the point being a member if you cant get to know the rest of the community and have a joke and a luagh.

APS is great

DONT FIX SOMETHING THAT AINT BROKE!!!

"i am the poo and thats just my opinion"

Slatey,
I love the site itself,I think its a great place to interact with other herpers.I just feel that there is too much competition lately with newbies or those with a small collection sharing valuable information with the likes of those with many years experience or a larger collection.Im simply defining exactly what Fangs has bought up.As an EG: in your last post you stated that Paul is a respected herpetologist that always helps when there is a problem,But don't alot of other members?many others have also posted great articles etc yet as there name and reputation is not as well known as pauls these people seem to be forgotton.The point here is that paul is a well known breeder and is much respected for this where as somebody new to this group may have more experience then paul but he's info,opinions and experiences are not valued to some as the person quoting the statement is not well known as such.Nothing against Paul,im just explaining what I mean and as you mentioned Pauls name I thought it would be a good example.Also with the bickering etc,I cant help but notice alot of members making issues out of such small matters.There is many posts that really could have been handled in pm or with a simple question to a moderator etc rather than air dirty laundry in the site for the new members and visitors to view (who may decide not to join because of such threads). Furthermore as another example and not a personal attack,but lets look at snarf and stevethepom.I think there is bitter issues between these members and the baiting that goes on between the 2 is just not what the site should be about.Personal indifferences should be left aside.Im sure you all notice my attitude change as of late,this is due to alot of hype around the herp hobby,such as herp theft,herp licensing,reptile trade etc etc.It is NOT just APS (again my favourite site and this is why I am constantly the most active member online each month) but alot of issues in general with the hobby.I just feel members need to stop their petty argumentative and competitional attitude and get along for the love of the hobby and the good will of Aussie pythons and snakes.

:)

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Sarahbell, and also indirectly, so has CC. No-one wants to read negative posts, so I'd suggest that if you have a complaint, then first try PMing a moderator.

The moderator will then bring it up for discussion in the Moderators forum and get back to the originator with an answer. If it's something that affects the site as a whole, I would think that everyone will hear about it after that.

I think that it can be safely said that the moderators have the interest of the site and its members at heart, and you can be assured it will get the attention it deserves.

Just remember to give it enough time for the majority of the moderators to comment on, so it may take a couple of days or three to get an answer. :wink:

How does that sound? :eek:

From my point of view all I was trying to say is that some of our members might feel that their input in answering a question to which they have an idea or an experience of might consider not to because they may feel that they need to give a definitive answer.
For mine I welcome anyone who has any positive input about a herp related problem/question,after all any valid answer does give some food for thought.
There are quite a few members here whos opinions I do value very much and I appreciate their help and their time.I wont name names as we cant have people gettin big heads can we? :p
There is nothing wrong IMHO with members taking a thread off track and having a little fun, the saying "LIGHTEN UP" comes to mind.
Just about everyone who contributes does so because they would like to pass on their knowledge or experience and for mine it is very much appreciated.
Why is it that some members,particulary the newer ones feel that a question they would like to ask doesnt get asked because they think its a silly question?For mine the only silly question is one thats not asked.Its a pity that those members are made to feel that way by some in the first place.
There has been a lot of damaging threads in the past and Im sure there will be others in the future.This is where our mods come in.wether it be to remove the damaging thread and warn the person doing it by way of a PM,locking the offending thread or whatever, that should be at the moderators discrection.Bottom line is you cant keep everyone happy all the time but hey thats life eh?

cheers M....................

If every one keeps putting in their two cents, Slateman while be able to by a Green Tree Python soon. :lol:

Me...I got no change so I can't really afford to add anything.

I understand cybre. But if you read my mail properly you would notice that i written at least one. With my limited english that means that they are more. If my english confuse you i apologize but i used Paul as example. It is hard to name all the snake wizards .
Enyway i am glad that you like us APS people. I think that we have great site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back