N.Levis Levis Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question..
What do you guys do in terms of heating at what times of day? Some people switch the power of heat pads off at night then turn on in the morning agian, some leave on 24/7, etc. Is there a golden rule I should be working off, or whatever goes really?

Just purchased my setup (haven't put the sand in yet). If all goes to plan, my levis will be on it's way Wednesday! Can't explain how keen I am!
IMG_04131.jpg

Looks like the levis is on it's way tomorrow! FAJEBTRFBGDJBF! Get keen! Pics and hopefully vids galore when I get him!

Looks like the levis is on it's way tomorrow! FAJEBTRFBGDJBF! Get keen! Pics and hopefully vids galore when I get him!

Picked up my boy last night! Will post pics up etc when I get around to it..
When I went to sleep he was chilling above the heat mat, when I woke up he was in a similar position. But I noticed a nice little burrow he had made last night in a different place in his tank too :)
Looking forward to this exciting new addition to the family!

Last edited:
Another question for y'all..
When you drop a cricket in the enclosure with the gecko, are you meant to spend the time & wait to watch him eat the cricket, making sure he eats?
I seem to remember reading somewhere not to leave the crickets in the enclosure as they might burrow and you'll never find them again, or they might drop babies in there etc.
So far I haven't left eyeshot of the cricket when I've put him in, making sure he doesn't disappear until eaten, is that what everyone does?
Also, how long does everyone wait before saying "ok, the gecko isn't going to eat today"? Should they be pretty responsive, on the hunt, the moment they see the cricket? Or do people leave the cricket in for a while, and the gecko might become keen after a few minutes?

Nice :) congrats, the addiction begins mate..!

Just toss 4 or 5 crickets in there late at night. He might hunt them down as soon as you drop them in, otherwise just leave them in there and they will almost certainly be gone by morning.

There's no harm in leaving the crickets in there; I've never had a problem with crickets burrowing and breeding etc. nor have I heard of any one else with this problem.

If he doesn't go for them straight away, don't worry too much as he's most probably still settling in. Try not to annoy/watch him too much over the next few days or so.

And lastly, post some pics! :)

Congrats Pat ;) I tend to repeat this for every newbie to geckos, get yourself a copy of Keeping Australian Geckos by Rob Porter. This book covers Introduction, housing, Nutrition, Breeding, Hygiene & Health. Then gives you a run down on 15 species of Geckos with pics and info on care. All this for 20 bucks Bargain ;)

Congrats Pat ;) I tend to repeat this for every newbie to geckos, get yourself a copy of Keeping Australian Geckos by Rob Porter. This book covers Introduction, housing, Nutrition, Breeding, Hygiene & Health. Then gives you a run down on 15 species of Geckos with pics and info on care. All this for 20 bucks Bargain ;)

Cheers mate. I've actually got that book on the way, ordered it the day I got him!
It's been a week since I brought Spoonch home - he's noticeably warming up to the place now. He gets out of his hides every night and assesses the scene, last night I actually witnessed him eating for the first time which was amazing - he hunted the crix down one by one and freaking smashed them! Whoever reckons it's not entertaining and completely amazing to watch them hunt their food, they're full of crap.
Little pic of my man:
IMG_00051.jpg

EDIT: Also, just as a question for you experienced guys out there - at what age/what size gecko do you change the size of the crickets you feed them? As in, as a general rule how old are they before you go from pinhead to small to medium to large (I'm feeding mine small at the moment, he's 6 months old - is that wrong?)?

Last edited:
At that age you could probably move up to mediums generally the rule is if it fits between the eyes of the gecko it is an ok size. I much prefer and my geckos have always seemed to have more enthusiastically approached eating roaches once they reach a size where they are able to take them. (They do not like pinhead roaches.)

At that age you could probably move up to mediums generally the rule is if it fits between the eyes of the gecko it is an ok size. I much prefer and my geckos have always seemed to have more enthusiastically approached eating roaches once they reach a size where they are able to take them. (They do not like pinhead roaches.)

Cheers! I bought a carton of smalls before I got him (didn't know how big he was/didn't know what he was eating already) and the guy at the herp shop recommended smalls. Will buy mediums and see how he goes with eating them!

When I first got mine I was surprised at how big an insect they can take! While I am in no way suggesting deviation from the 'fits between the eyes' rule, I wouldn't panic if they happen to get one that's a few mm too long.

In some people's pix of their geckos that they have on APS, you can see the some feeders that haven't been eaten yet, from which you can see what sizes are fed.

Haha Brett, it took the little guy a while to notice the cricket was there :p

Nice video and critter's mate, you are starting to make me want thickies! lol

Haha Brett, it took the little guy a while to notice the cricket was there :p

Nice video and critter's mate, you are starting to make me want thickies! lol

He yeah not long before lifted his hide, still half asleep

Good eg Smithers! Love to see a gecko eat :)

I think bigger prey is easier for them to catch too, bigger target.

Agreed less chance of sand on the gob also i recon.

When I first got mine I was surprised at how big an insect they can take! While I am in no way suggesting deviation from the 'fits between the eyes' rule, I wouldn't panic if they happen to get one that's a few mm too long.

In some people's pix of their geckos that they have on APS, you can see the some feeders that haven't been eaten yet, from which you can see what sizes are fed.

And spy on husbandry when thinking of purchasing an animal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back