Near disaster with Nancy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Near disaster with that klutz ( My fault ). I thought that one rat a few days ago wasn?t enough and de frosted a couple of rats. He took one and I lured/dragged him to one end of the cage. One of the other WPs wanted a rat so she was lured/dragged to the other end. After a few minutes you could see he was going to try for the other WPs rat so I started to open the cage and he struck. But he didn?t hit the rat he got the other pythons head. He has a lousy aim. Both pythons were dragged onto the floor and separated, I was very worried the other python would be suffocated. Once separated the smaller made a bolt for the cage and the hidey hole while Nancy was left on the lounge floor in an agitated state. I gave him the rat and he ate it on the lounge floor.

Strangely enough the other WP took the other rat into the hidy hole and ate it after a second offer.

After Nancy finished he went back into the cage and went to enter the hidey hole which caused much thumping. So Nancy was grabbed and pulled out. The klutz showed his displeasure by biting himself.

He is not being feed in his cage with other snakes EVER AGAIN

that serves ya right for takin shortcuts lol :p glad snakes r ok

I've had snakes fight like crazy, biting, holding and constricting, and they both usually feed immediately after, they seem really resilient to it. (No serious fighting for the past few years though, I've become more careful in my old age).

Beautiful snake, Fuscus! (Even if it looks a little scarey!)

I had a similar incident about 6 or 7 years ago with a pair of yearling carpets... stupidly thought that I could feed them in the same cage because they were at opposite ends. First and only time i'll ever do that :) They both started constricting each other... I held them underwater until they let go, then had to tail 2 snappy carpets back to the cage without getting bitten lol (they were also the evillest snakes i've ever owned.. next to ball pythons :p) Anyway.. young, naive, and have learnt from it all ;)
He is not being feed in his cage with other snakes EVER AGAIN
I'd extrapolate that little bit of wisdom to cover all your snakes!! Just not worth it, IMO (though as sdaji said, if you're there to watch, they probably won't get too badly hurt)

Beautiful snake, Fuscus! (Even if it looks a little scarey!)
There seems to be a switch in his head that turns to psyco when foods around otherwise he is placid.

I'd extrapolate that little bit of wisdom to cover all your snakes
Proberly very wise words. But my bredli are feed together and have excellent manners aside from being pigs. They ignore each other providing they are both feed within 10 seconds of each other and are completly feed up. Of course it only takes one incident.

if you're there to watch
One of the best parts of keeping snakes, watching them feed.

BTW The other snake appears unharmed and unmarked from the incident except for a budge in its belly :). Still, I'm not doing that again.

What a great setup you have there Mark. I've seen pictures before but seeing that shot just shows how practical it is to have the whole door open like that. Great for cleaning as well I bet. As for the perspex...saves a bundle!!! I even installed perspex in my Varanus tristis enclosure recently instead of glass. I was fully prepared to replace it with glass once they scratched it up but so far their claws have not left a single scratch :)

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back