need some venomous snake advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scambo

Reaction score
:oops: I know this isn't a post about keeping snakes, but I do love snakes & want to avoid any harm coming to them or my family & pets.
We live in a rural area on a farm & have a high number of venomous snakes around ( see at least 10-15 around the house each summer) in the last 3 years we have had 2 adult Gwadar snakes in the house & I have dogs & small children, we have no poultry & no mice, our yard is very clean & free of debris, so I'm wondering if there are any suggestions to deter them that won't hurt them?
Thanks in advance !

In reality, there's likely nothing you can do to be 100% sure that you won't get snakes, but you can certainly reduce the risks by keeping all exterior doors closed, giving the cat flap a flick (if you have one for the pet moggy?), reducing debris build up around the immediate area, lifting hedges/ low lying plants (if possible), keeping the grass cut and avoid any dropped grain which attracts rodents (all of which sounds like you have in control). Don't waste money on the snake repellers, snakes love them:)! If your kids are older, they're likely aware of snake dangers and dogs can always be trained to leave snakes alone, if you are willing to put in the effort. Glad you love snakes...me too:)! They're a valuable part of our ecosystem.

Thanks for that ;)
Yeah we are going to do a double check of everything to see if there are any gaps around they could be getting into the house through, we don't have a cat flap ( not a big cat lover ! ) the snake today was very scared when he found himself inside & I managed to get the dogs & baby outside while my husband ushered him outside onto the verandah & out into the paddock, poor bugger must have been happy to get out !!!!
They are stunning creatures I nearly stood on a big mulga snake getting out of the car 2 weeks ago he was a big beautiful snake & very relaxed just went off on his way, I will do my best to train the dogs to avoid them, I think they should be ok they ignore the bobtail lizards & are very obedient, totally ignored the snake inside that went past them, my baby on the other hand is only 12 months so is yet to learn they are to be admired but not touched ;) and she got quite excited when she saw something brightly coloured moving across the floor !!!!

+1 for Scambo for taking the sensical approach, joining up here and seek advice from those in the know instead of taking the heavy handed approach that others often do resulting in unnecessary snake deaths and people getting bitten.

It's a pity others couldn't take his stance.

Nice work.

Dont leave the dogs(pets) food out when your not feeding them. It attracts vermin which in turn attract snakes. No rodent feeding plants around the house.

We all have rats and mice. You just dont see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back