Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At times like these, you get even more annoyed about how O/S keepers can commonly keep and breed them and we're stuck with jack all!

these guys will have to come in to play with in a few years and i think they will be the new amyae, or the most desirable knobby by far.

Nick, I think you'll find that anyone who knows who the breeders are, wont say anything until they get what they want.

Hey Daniel,

I knew who has them before I asked the question LOL ;) Was just sussing out how many people are in the know! :lol: But, as you know- knowing who has them and actually getting your hands on some two different scenarios all together.

How's your gecko season going ATM??

Nick

i recently asked npws why they had been removed from class 1 licence and was told that there were none legally available anywhere in australia

I was recently informed the same by NPWS licencing - who have contacted CALM in WA who say that NO export or even collection permits have been granted for wheeleri...

I would be VERY cautious buying these animals....

u guys are nuts,5000 big ones for a pair,bugger that,sure there lovely,i guess if they sell like that and u breed them u may make ya money back plus some but sheesh,i couldnt spend that kind of dosh,i think its amusing when people can collect animals from the wild on permit,when they say to hopefully introduce them into the hobby like its noble then they want to sell them for ridiculous amounts,money talks and the bs walks,would be nice to establish alot of new species into the pet trade,but yeah,some of the prices,im supprised things like black palmed rock monitors ect arwent established,good luck if u do buy some though,like i said it would be great to see them in a lot of collections

u guys are nuts,5000 big ones for a pair,bugger that,sure there lovely,i guess if they sell like that and u breed them u may make ya money back plus some but sheesh,i couldnt spend that kind of dosh,i think its amusing when people can collect animals from the wild on permit,when they say to hopefully introduce them into the hobby like its noble then they want to sell them for ridiculous amounts,money talks and the bs walks,would be nice to establish alot of new species into the pet trade,but yeah,some of the prices,im supprised things like black palmed rock monitors ect arwent established,good luck if u do buy some though,like i said it would be great to see them in a lot of collections

You have just been officially crowned 'THE COMMA KING' :lol::lol::lol:

comma comma comma chameleon
lol
glad im not the comma queen,then id worry
npws wouldnt know if places like zoos were breeding them,eg aussie reptile park who can then sell them through snake ranch if they got the nod i reckon
there definatly out there though,mark my words

i agree with rocket... overseas is already producing morphs and we cant even keep em...

Richardsc - I think you'll find that NPWS keep a close eye on what is coming into the hobby and from where - Snake Ranch certainly have close dealings with NPWS...

I have no doubt that wheeleri are in captivity - my concern is the legitimacy of them...

In NSW anyway, none were declared at amnesty - none have since been legitimately imported - and to compound the lot, CALM over in WA say that NO collection permits have been granted as there are still concerns regarding the status of the wild population...

...and yet, there are Sydney based breeders offering them for sale...?

...I certainly wouldn't be forking out any cash, let alone the thousands being asked, so that NPWS can come and take them off me and hand me a summons to court...

i agree with rocket... overseas is already producing morphs and we cant even keep em...

...I am far more concerned about the status of wheeleri in the wild than whether we can start producing polka-dot ones over here...

Aslan, this was covered in another thread. Wheeleri aren't a threatened species. Otherwise they would be on the threatened species list in WA.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/exotics-other-reptiles/pricey-geckos-77384/page-4#post1097722

For what reason are they not on license? It appears that NPWS simply don't want keepers keeping them. Wheeleri and Oenpelli pythons may be the only truly "high end" species left that aren't legally available (can anyone else think of any other species?). As previous pointed out in many threads, there is alot of money to be made by the people who first legally acquire them.

-H

Do not overlook the fact that at one point of time you didn’t need a collection or export permit to export out W.A or any other states for that matter. Now that reptiles are nationally protected, we all need such permits. My point? Just because D.E.H here in W.A say they haven’t approved anything does not automatically make it illegal.
W.A D.E.C also didn’t approve the export of Liasis olivaceus barroni either and yet that was once also held legally under N.S.W permit.

Secondly I know for a fact that N.S.W Parks and Wildlife have issued an import permit a few years ago to import this species. Perhaps individuals from government departments should be very careful about making untrue claims about this species at public herp meetings without doing their homework first.

Aslan, this was covered in another thread. Wheeleri aren't a threatened species. Otherwise they would be on the threatened species list in WA.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/exotics-other-reptiles/pricey-geckos-77384/page-4#post1097722

For what reason are they not on license? It appears that NPWS simply don't want keepers keeping them. Wheeleri and Oenpelli pythons may be the only truly "high end" species left that aren't legally available (can anyone else think of any other species?). As previous pointed out in many threads, there is alot of money to be made by the people who first legally acquire them.

-H
it sucks in a fairly large area oenpelli pythons are by far the dominant python species encountered i wont outline where , funnily enough its not near oenpelli.
i have seen lots on them squished on roads and lots of live ones.
appart from their possible price tag . i say bring on the wild pilfering.
The herp trade has made alot of reptiles common look at roughies, womas, GTPs , amyae ,ect ect.

Secondly I know for a fact that N.S.W Parks and Wildlife have issued an import permit a few years ago to import this species. Perhaps individuals from government departments should be very careful about making untrue claims about this species at public herp meetings without doing their homework first.

Very true. Despite all the gossip, someone DOES have them legally in NSW. And has had them for a few years now. They were legally imported from interstate. Strange how NPWS deny this.

Perhaps they were legally imported as "Nephrurus sp."???

If they came into NSW as wheeleri they would have turned up on the NSW captive species lists.

NPWS would not be denying "legally" held wheeleri then.

-H

Thats one story i heard. But the person he imported from, interstate, has them legally as well, as Wheeleri. So why would it be a problem, even if he did do it that way?

I was recently informed the same by NPWS licencing - who have contacted CALM in WA who say that NO export or even collection permits have been granted for wheeleri...

I would be VERY cautious buying these animals....

Exactly, i would recommend people forgetting about this gorgeous little animal unless they want NPWS looking at their integrity. They do check this site regularly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back