Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why would it be a problem, even if he did do it that way?

Well, if the regulations had been somewhat "massaged" to get them in, I don't think the rules would be so iron clad to stop them siezing them.
Put yourself in the position of NPWS.... If you were trying to control something as big as the NSW licensing system, wouldn't you take offence to people trying to bend the rules.

I'm just playing devils advocate here... I don't care whether they are in here or not. :D I hope noone take offence!

:D

-H

Perhaps they were legally imported as "Nephrurus sp."???

This is certainly what my thoughts on them in NSW would lead to...

I apologise to anyone who has taken offense to anything, however, this (as I have already mentioned) is the version given by licencing at NPWS very recently...and as such, is why I have been advocating extreme caution in dealing with wheeleri....

I am very keen to see numbers in the hobby increase with wheeleri (as I am with all species) but think it would be a major setback for the hobby in this regard if NPWS were forced to take some action over them due to illegitimate paperwork and the like...

I think, if it could be shown that the wheeleri were legitimate, that NPWS would quite happily make them accessible to Class 2 licence owners - but I am positive that a large amount of investigation would be done into the animals prior to that permission being granted...

On a side note, I have also been informed that a small number of them WERE declared during the amnesty in NSW. I would assume that they no longer exist on the current holdings list if they are not currently on the species list...?

[ - and to compound the lot, CALM over in WA say that NO collection permits have been granted ...

At times, CALM has no idea what permits they have and haven't issued.
I went through this with them only a month ago when I requested to collect some additional specimens of animals that they had issued permits for a zoo to send me only 12 months before and they claimed that they have never allowed any out of the state so why would they let me collect more. I also requested permits for several WA species I had obtained legally via SA parks and Wildlife tender and again they declared that there is no way they can be legal outside of WA as they never sent any out. Some senior staff members are so focussed on their preconcieved opinion of southern herpers that they don't look outside the square .

It would be good if DEC posted the current licenced captive status of these lizards in NSW and if possible Australia so that people know if they are legit at all within Australia.

It would be good if DEC posted the current licenced captive status of these lizards in NSW and if possible Australia so that people know if they are legit at all within Australia.

But how current and foolproof is the list with this comment in a previous post by Brendon Neilly. It seems it doesn't take much to make the data imperfect.

"The data quality includes all of those records submitted that could be matched to a licensee. Please note that this data set was pre barcode and thus if no name is entered into the FRB then the data cannot be allocated to a licence and thus not entered into the system. In addition the data would not include records that could not be deciphered due to hand writing, stains on books etc etc."

Yes Danny, I'm sure the system is full of holes and mistakes, I just think DEC should attempt to say something on line about this subject seeing how Brendon spoke about it at a herp society meeting and with the current amount of wheeleri "supposedly" legally kept, it couldn't be too hard to work out with help from all other states???? well maybe it could..... Yes Brendon spoke about the problems of entering all the data into the new system, sounds like you couldn't pay them enough, I can't even imagine how they will work it all out.

I just think DEC should attempt to say something on line about this subject seeing how Brendon spoke about it at a herp society meeting and with the current amount of wheeleri "supposedly" legally kept, it couldn't be too hard to work out with help from all other states???? .

I think DEC have already said too much without checking out there own facts first. I have spoken to the breeder this week and he is personally going to give DEC a "please explain" call as he has documented every purchase, egg, hatchling etc.since he legally obtained his stock and can't see what all the fuss and bother is about.

I think DEC have already said too much without checking out there own facts first. I have spoken to the breeder this week and he is personally going to give DEC a "please explain" call as he has documented every purchase, egg, hatchling etc.since he legally obtained his stock and can't see what all the fuss and bother is about.

I'm pretty sure DEC could be up for defamation in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back