Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

divine_wind1

Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking about getting a snake what info do i need to know about keeping them and where can i find it thx. sorry bout spelling and grammer

Read as much as you can on this site. There is a lot of good stuff here and
this is a good forum if you have questions. A lot of the people on this site have had
a lot of experience. Also a book called Keeping Australian Reptiles, if I am wrong someone
will correct me. Do your homework and it will make iyt much easier from the start.
Good luck and enjoy:)

also what do i need to know about keeping turtles cause if my mum says no to snakes i'll be straight in there with turtles.

Goto the search feature up above, then type in "new snake"

You will find alot of threads on different types, enclosures, feeding, handling tips etc.

Then you can search different tips seperately like how to feed, when they shed, what license you need, click clacks etc.

I just spent about 30min-1hour on those threads and learnt alot so i recommend it.

If you are looking at any of these 3 snakes, Children's python (Children pythons are not named that because they are good with children, named after the man who discovered them), Spotted python or a Stimsons python, they are relatively easy to maintain.
Firstly, you would want a hatchling with any snake, make sure you are comfortable with a bitey snake, but don't worry, it will grow out of that farely quickly. Make sure the seller can provide with its feeding records, so that you know it is a good eater. For a snake under the age of 1 year, you only need to house it in a tub. For a 5 week-3 month old Spotted, Childrens or Stimson, you should only need to keep it in a 10L tub, then gradually upsize it as they get bigger.
Adults can be correctly housed in a 900mmL, 50mmD, 50mmH enclosure.

The temperature for these guys should be around 32 degrees in the warm end, and mid 20's in the cool end. A water bowl should be placed in the cool end, and should be changed with fresh water ever 3 days. You need to provide a hide at each end of the enclosure so the snake can regulate their temperatures.
For a substrate, you can use Fake grass or Newspaper. Or if you want something more natural, you can use Aspen snake bedding, but that can get pricey. Do NOT use sand.
You can use logs and the like to make it more natural, but make sure they are secure so it cannot harm the snake.

Hope that helps you:) good luck!

Pygmy python, approx 60cm. All of the children's (Spotted, Stimsons and Childrens) are, on average, only about 1-1.2metres, there can be exceptions but these are a good size for handling and keeping...

Pygmy python, approx 60cm. All of the children's (Spotted, Stimsons and Childrens) are, on average, only about 1-1.2metres, there can be exceptions but these are a good size for handling and keeping...

Yet Pygmys are a bit pricier for someone getting their first snake:)
Can't re-call the price of them,
Just thought I might add:)

if you want something to hold, don't gt turtles, they squirm when held. and you'll get bored of it.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back