new coastal carpet hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy3476

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just purchased my first coastal carpet python hatchling and was just wondering if it was ok to use an infrared bulb over his plastic tub at one end? And if it is should i turn it off over night or leave it on all the time? My wife is getting a bredli hatchling in a couple of weeks so would this also be ok for heat? We have got childrens pythons but they went into there permanent inclosures pretty quickly where as these guys will need to be in there plastic tubs for a while so just want to make sure that what we are doing is ok.
Thanks all
Dan

A heat mat is a much better option say 5-7w. A heat lamp has the ability to melt plastic where are you placing the lamp? Obviously not directly on the plastic enclosure?

Last edited:
At the moment I have a 50w infrared globe about 20 cm above the plastic container, i am moving her
Into a bigger micmicrowave safe tub today so that she has more room. Is this ok to have the lamp just off on one side? She will be in this container for a few months until she is big enough to go into jer big enclosure.

Mate, you'd be far better off and do as the Prof has suggested. You might just end up cooking your little critter by using an infrared globe even if it's connected to a thermostat and/or set off to the side of the tub. I'd get rid of the globe and buy myself a heat mat if I were you.

George

As long it's not touching and hot/cold end temps are good it shouldn't matter just keep a good eye on it.

A heat mat or cord is the only option in this instance. Ditch the globe idea.

Heat mat or cord is what you need for this kind of setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back