New member/python owner, would appreciate advice :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased my first snake, a juvenile Cape York Carpet Python, called Geronimo.
I've only had him a week so I haven't bothered him or poked at him though I'm dying to have a hold!
I've never owned a snake before but my sister has a beautiful Diamond python, a 2 year old male called Wilson, so I've fed and looked after him while she's been on holidays.
I would appreciate any tips!

hello and welcome, be sure to post some pics,
pythons like a warms basking spot around 32 deg and a cool spot around 28.when handling you could use a minature hook to get him out or your could gently place your hand under him and lift him out juveniles tend to be a little snappy but nothing to worry about doesn't hurt at all and with time and patience they will calm down but there is the odd exception lol,

Just be aware that your sisters diamond python and your cape York will have different needs and do not try to copy everything that is good for your sisters snake.

Thanks for the advice, Nilesh and andynic07. I knew that diamonds need different care from doing research to pick a snake. While I love diamonds, I wanted to be different to my sis (of course!) and get something else!
He's going to shed in the next couple of days, then I'll give him a feed (he's on pinky rats).
I'll try and get some pictures up!

The best way to get answers on here is to ask specific questions or you may end up with a lot of information that you know the answers to like I have given you. Hope you enjoy your time on this site and I am sure you will learn a thing or two, I certainly have.

andynic07 I'm sorry I just reread my post and I fear I came off a little rude and short! I am thankful for your tip, as I only found out the last week or so that dear Wilson was a bit different in terms of care to my little snake! I never knew and my sister never mentioned! Haha the joy of trying to convey tone on the Internet.
I'm very much looking forward to learning more about these beautiful creatures and hopefully educate some of my more fearful and prejudiced friends (the ones who laugh when I say he's got a cute little face!)

All good mate, didn't come across as rude and even if you did you get used to it sometimes on here. You learn to not take it to heart as there are people on here from all walks of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back