New member with lots of questions and help (Warning could be long)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres my plastic container/ large click-clack. Im going to use this, it make it so i can cut it off in area's and maybe add 2 levels, but with this I can at least not have to worry about rushing to get an enclosure straight away. Ill have to see what im going to do tho.

the measurments are 650x420x400mm.

ummm, i dont think it is...but...
u need something quite a bit smaller than that, and i would get something that you can see into, and that is clean and new. good luck with it. :D
mel

ummm, i dont think it is...but...
u need something quite a bit smaller than that, and i would get something that you can see into, and that is clean and new. good luck with it. :D
mel

Agreed with clean and new... but the smaller thing I don't think is important... That looks like something I kept my spotted in for a few months. She didn't seem stressed at all.

I am sure my container was 30L I had drilled about 60 - 90 holes in the top and about 30 on each side... I think it worked perfectly and my spotted has grown up to be a healthy young girl :)

Just make sure there is lots of hides (I provided two or three hides including a rock hide where she used to sit frequently if she wasn't under the shade cloth (the matting used for the bottom of enclosure)

I was back there again today, I realised for my main enclosure im going to ask about junglerob's ones. But they now said the same thing for a spotted, but for exactly $322, I get a juvie snake, with all records, a check up, 5 weeks of pinkies, a book, a small click clack that they said it would last in for 6-12 months(bout the size of a standard lunch box), and a heat mat which doesnt need a thermo cause its small she said.

My main question is if i were to buy privately, what would i be looking at in price to get started? I know some prices, Laa Laa showed me this Click-CLack for $10 that i like http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=47615

so heres what im looking at so far, if im wrong on prices let me know, and what else ill need and how much others are.

Mac - $150
Click-Clack - $10
Heat mat - ? guessing $30 for that size click-clack
Pinkies - $15 for 5 weeks?

Dont need to be acccurate, just near abouts. I also know I need a hide and ill just use news paper. Sorry for being a pain, I just dont want to be ripped off, i seem to have a magnet for it.

I am looking into this aswell mate so im a total newbie but if your saying they told you that you could keep any snake in a lunch box sized container for 6-12 months I don't know if id be expecting there animals to be very healthy or happy .... so if i read that wrong sorry... and maybe they can be but i don't understand that

Well i guess it depends on the size lunch box too. Umm ok about 30cm long the box is, and the juvies are about that maybe smaller so from what Ive read of the rule of thumb with snakes and enclosure size thats ok. They are pro made click clacks for Chilrens's pythons group, read the label and all. hehe. and I have found a fair few threads on here that have given them a perfect rep. and even in a mag i just read. thats why im confused. hehe

oh yeah i agree with the click clacks we use them for the rescues ... Sorry when you said lunch box i was thinking of mine ( the size of a sanga and a popper probably 20x10 ) :) doh ... ok im ok with that size :D i'll shut up and just watch you now hehe

Well i guess it depends on the size lunch box too. Umm ok about 30cm long the box is, and the juvies are about that maybe smaller so from what Ive read of the rule of thumb with snakes and enclosure size thats ok. They are pro made click clacks for Chilrens's pythons group, read the label and all. hehe. and I have found a fair few threads on here that have given them a perfect rep. and even in a mag i just read. thats why im confused. hehe

Just make sure if u do use a lunch box that u dont mistake that lunch box with the one u take to work with you.:oops::lol::oops:

Be very careful with ANY heat mat on a small click clack... The heat transfer is large, and the small area my over heat significantly and quickly and this could cook your snake.

Check with how others do this before you venture into the click clack and heat mat market.

My personal way was I had the click clack inside an enclosure that had the heat mat attached to the outside. I used a thermostat.

So it may be a different set up - but please do check first.

If the heat mat is that small and doesn't require a thermostat then the tank will also be small I guess.

I think you're better off getting the size enclosure you want right now, setting it up as you want it in the future. Keep your hatchie/juvie in a 30 litre well drilled, well aerated plastic box with firmly shutable lid. Make sure you can not get your little finger under the lid at any point as hatchies and juvies are escape artists (look up escape on APS you'll be suprised at how many do get out).

Inside your 30L tub get 3 - 4 flatish rocks to build a tunnel that your snake can lie in. Get newspaper as the grounding. A small plastic bowl for water - make sure it has a flat bottom as hatchies/juvies climb into their water bowls and you don't want them tipping out.

All up - a 4 foot tank may cost you up to $200 for a full glass. This isn't always suitable. Mine was $180. I built the lid and removed any of the glass frame inside. The lid to build cost $30 with good wood, a bit of oil sealant and some mesh (snake wire).

I got some bricks for decoration ($1 each), some shade cloth for the ground cover ($5), a dog bowl for the water ($2), a fake plastic stag horn plant ($20), a terracota pot $3, some fish tunnels (good for hides $12)...

The expensive thing, as I said, was over $100 for the heat mat and thermostat.

All up I reckon I have spent around $500 from go to woe including my snake, food, and anything else I seemed to accumulate!

There will be other people who paid more, and others less... All depending on what you have and what you're getting!

i just need to know what would be cheaper, and more convenient (sp). Going private may mean snake is cheaper but, then adding costs of setting up. It still maybe cheaper but if only by a bit, may as well get it at Just Reptiles for simple reason of convenience. And then it comes down to being told that one thing is better then the other with enclosures, and then being told by others that they are wrong and this is better. hrrmmm Im so confused :(. I just want to know what ppl payed for there first snake, and then the click clack, then mat and pinkies. will it really be cheaper to buy private with all this added, or just convenience pay $322 to get everything in one hit? I worked out by guessing that i may be $100 cheaper going private but i really dont know the price of a juvie spotted, and how much a mat may cost.

Differant ppl do things in differant ways if i was in your position this is what i would do -

buy a click clack 7-10 litres is heaps big enough $10
buy a 4m 15watt heat cord $20-30 you only need to use one run underneath one end of tyhe click clack leaving the other 3.8 m to heat more snakes :)
buy a snake after looking around, dont rush in as it could be with you for 20years or more they generally cost between $120-$350 depending on quality, locality and appearance or mark up in the case of petshops.

For the final enclosure its up to you what you want it to look like, but a 50 litre clear storage container would be ideal if you wernt worried about looks. You would have almost a year until it will get to big for the clickclack anyway so theres no need to worry about it yet. In 10 months you have more experience and will be able to choose/build an ideal enclosure easily.

decide between childreni(3') or a spotted (4-5') personally i would go for some cape york macs they get upto and over 1.5m and have nicce markings.

Differant ppl do things in differant ways if i was in your position this is what i would do -

buy a click clack 7-10 litres is heaps big enough $10
buy a 4m 15watt heat cord $20-30 you only need to use one run underneath one end of tyhe click clack leaving the other 3.8 m to heat more snakes :)
buy a snake after looking around, dont rush in as it could be with you for 20years or more they generally cost between $120-$350 depending on quality, locality and appearance or mark up in the case of petshops.

For the final enclosure its up to you what you want it to look like, but a 50 litre clear storage container would be ideal if you wernt worried about looks. You would have almost a year until it will get to big for the clickclack anyway so theres no need to worry about it yet. In 10 months you have more experience and will be able to choose/build an ideal enclosure easily.

decide between childreni(3') or a spotted (4-5') personally i would go for some cape york macs they get upto and over 1.5m and have nicce markings.

*Bingo*

hell yeah thanks slim6y and cris, and everyone else for helping me. Chris ya just gave me my window. thanks heaps. ill be on here a lot from now on to learn more

ok thats it, ive made my choice, but its still not concrete just incase i find some good deal. im going to do what cris said but just my way. Ill go privately but take my time, which i have to do anyway coz of licence and money. Ill start getting things slowly now.

i just thought of something. How do i know people on here are actually breeders and not just people selling ones they had bought previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back