New member with lots of questions and help (Warning could be long)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile182

Reaction score
Hi
My names Wayne, I'm a new member here, Ive been checking this site out for a couple of weeks and signed up last week. Im looking into getting my first python sometime soon, but i have a few questions, I have seen some answers to these questions, but just want more clarification and things. Ive notice that there is just a lot of opinion on things, or a very simple explenation that doesnt really help for a lot of things.

Ok to start, Im looking into getting a small python for my first, a children's originally, but soon realised that Spotted pythons are very similar in size and recomendations for first pythons. My questions here is:

1. Whats the differences between them? I've read that children's arent as visually appealing compared to spotted, but children's are more gentile and less snappy(which doesnt bother me much) are these true and is it a by major amounts?

2. Are either snakes Climbers? even just a little?

3. Should there be some sort of climbing thing just incase?

4. Is there a good recomended site with info about these snakes around at all? with this like best way to make enclosure like its natural habitat

ok, next bit. I looked in the wiki here to find a local deal here in Ipswich QLD, and found one around the corner from me called Just Reptiles. The guy there was a lot of help, he showed me a full grown spotted which is his pet (reason why i found out spotted and children are alike) and showed me a juvi childrens and spotted. He was a good help and showed me all about feeding and made sure that i knew the tricks some other stores try and pull. I asked how much he would charge. He had both juvies that were a couple of months old for $300, he said to that he also offers for $330, a lunch box size click - clack, a heat mat, 5 weeks worth of pinkies and a few other things. just wondering if this is a good deal?

This Leads me to the last but to me most important part, enclosures. I know of some peoples opinions of glass tanks and things and the rule about the tank should be half the snake size in length and quarter in width and hight, but ill still ask these questions. Firstly, Just Reptiles said that an enclosure that is 2x2x2 Ft is adequate enough. He sells these in pine and detailed like antique plus wiring for $400+. Is this 2x2x2 size ok? and is it a good price?

I also have my own cupboards, tanks, toybox and and plastic storage contaners that I have measured, Which would be a best size and idea? all measured in feet and inches, and in length x width x hight. none of the wooden one has glass but can be easily fitted.

A. FIshtank: 2 x 1 x 1.3
B. Wooden toy/tool box: 3 x 1.6 x .11
C. Cupboard: 3.7 x 1.7 x 1.10
D. Plastic Storage contaner: 1/2 foot wider and higher then fishtank

Also how much does it normally cost to by the fittings such as light, thermostat? I know an electrician who can fit for nothing. And would the plastic container, which is like a huge click-clack be ok for desperate measures?

Ok thats the lot for now LOL. Sorry for it being so long, I dont want to be pushy, just dont want to make mestakes and to be able to do it cheap as possible, but also on my own.

thanks heaps
Wayne

"1. Whats the differences between them? I've read that children's arent as visually appealing compared to spotted, but children's are more gentile and less snappy(which doesnt bother me much) are these true and is it a by major amounts?

2. Are either snakes Climbers? even just a little?

3. Should there be some sort of climbing thing just incase?

4. Is there a good recomended site with info about these snakes around at all? with this like best way to make enclosure like its natural habitat'

1: Mate the difference between spotteds and childrens, for one thing is size. Spotted grow a little larger. They retain their bold patterning for much longer (many childrens can turn to an almost complete browny colour) - also spotteds have a vibrant rainbow "hue" over their scales in the sunlihgt.

2&3: Both snakes will climb occasionally, but not much so floor space is generally recommended over height. That being said, my spotted will often go into the branches, but it's usually only to get closer to the heat. Putting climbing stuff in there will not bother the snakes, and may look more natural for you. Just make sure it's secured so it doesn't come crashing down on them.

4: If you Google spotted/children's python care you'll get more than enough info. Also a great book is "Keeping Children's Pythons" by Greg Fyfe and Darren Green. I swear by it.

I got my Spotted for $200 at Westside Pets and Aquarium in Taringa in Brisbane. Theyre are also similarily priced at Pet City Mt Gravatt, Brisbane. So not too far away for you.

The enclosure sounds OK. Mine is 65Wx65Lx60H and he is more than happy in there. My price was about $300 from Mt Gravatt, Pet City

Your snake won't be fussy about size. Too small is obviously not good, but in my opinion you can't go too big. As long as he has access to water, a thermal gradient and plenty of hiding spots - he should be happy in as big a mansion as you can get him!

ok.. lots of questions.. a fair few answers.. hope u got time too... ..
firstly.. yes childrens pythons can be snappy.. my friend has one that chews her arm off and she is full grown now so its not extremely pleasant.. yes ur childrens ands spotted both climb a little.. at night time cos they are nocturnal..
Sptted are more pretty if u want a snake that will keep it colours.. the childrens often loses it markings as it grows up, and becomes very plain looking brown..
and yes i put a branch in there for climbing.. and 4th.. there is places on the net to google for snake enclosure plans, but most of them cost money.. u mite find some plans on here and ideas, if u go thru some old threads..
the deal from the petshop for 330 is great cos thats all that u need for a while and it will get u thru till ur lil fella grows some..
there is some places to google for that kind of snake.. but u just have to type the name of the snake and have a look wot comes up.. i can tell u they are both mostly terristrial(ground dwellers), but they do like to explore at nite time and will climb and poke their noses around and have a good stretch..
u cood buy a custom made enclosure like he is offering or u cood make ur own with any of those things.. i have my baby spotted in a click clack for now, but was planning on moving him to the 3ft fish tank when the coastals outgrow it.. so yea thats intirely up to u..
Cheers..
Hoppa

ps welcome to aps

It's late for me - but I want to answer the climbing question and a couple of others. My spotted has some very small climbing branches... She crawls over them, but never hangs from them.

In the wild on the whole spotteds like to spend most of their time on the ground, in caves, under rocks.

I've given her the option to climb - I think that's important. I bet she hangs upside down over night and probably does acrobatics too!

By the way welcome to the site...

And my very personal opinion is $300 - $330 is very pricey for a spotted. Are you sure it's not a blonde?

I won't say what i got mine for, but you can easily half that - but it didn't come with a click clack etc...

Is the second deal $330 including the python right? I can't recall how much my heat mat was, but with a thermostat it was over $100. Five pinkies from a pet shop will be around $15. A click clack is around $5.

Enclosures vary in price. Again I would suggest that's on the high side, but it depends how much you're willing to build yourself.

If I look at it, i think I spent around $500 (I wished I had kept records now) all up. The most expensive thing was the thermostat. Some of the things I made or had. My tank is an aquarium, some people are anti those because they're full glass. But my lid has snake mesh and is well ventaliated. She's in a 4foot tank, which will do her for life. She does roam at night. but I hear 2 foot would be ample in most cases, depending on your room requirements.

Well, good luck and welcome - hope you enjoy your stay and your python. Spotteds are really beautiful - I love them!!!

G'day Wayne and welcome.

Childrens and Spotted are similar, i personally have never found a difference in the snappiness etc, I find it is more dependant on snake than on species with these two. They both have severe case of little big snake syndrome. having said that, i have found my females to be quite placid and it is the males with something to prove.

I find that both types will climb, as most snakes will. So yes it would be good to provide some things to climb on.

There is a fair amount of information out there. Best thing would be to get yourself a book. Or just do some journal searches on google
Keeping Childrens Pythons is a pretty good book. And it looks at all the Antaresia species.
http://wehaveitall.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=637

have a look on this site in the for sale area, you will find a few of the breeders selling these species. True blue for example. and at very good prices.

I am not a fan of click clacks as any sort of medium or long term solution simply as it is very hard to produce a thermal gradient. I am more inclined to go to a larger enclosure with plenty of hides. However, small click clacks are good for very short term temporary or hospital enclosures.

i personally wouldnt say that the enclosure is a great price at 400+ for a 2ft enclosure.
http://wehaveitall.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=751

we also do them in an unwired state. we do packages for the heating, just have to email me at [email protected] and i will send you the price list back for the wiring kits.

I would be more inclined to go to a 3ft enclosure, which will last its life so you will never have to change.

Fittings etc arent really that dear and you dont need an electrician these days to instal it all as most will come prewired. Its just a matter of screwing it all into the places that you want.

Ok well hope this helps, and just as a note we do deals for all the APS members.

Cheers
Dustin

Well after reading that I need a coffee.

welcome to the site and all your questions should be answered on this site, you can't beat it for helpful people willing to answer anything

wow thanks, i have been to so many forums over my hobbies and never had this kind of help, wow im quite happy now, i might look around some more before i jump into doing this. I still have to get my licence, its all ready just waiting, and it may be a bit before I get my snake so ill look around and compare prices. Anyone know Python stores around brisbane/ipswich area even gold coast? besides the ones that have just been mentioned

hi how ya going im just going to tell you about my snake due to the fact that im a new herper to. i got my first snake in dec and the second in feb.

you will find alot of good advice on this forum but also you have to whatch what you type (you havent typed anything bad) because a small amount of people in here are just looking for an opportunity for an argument.

any way back to your thread.
i had a very limited choice at the snakes i could choose because all the pet shops only had diamonds, childrens and costals.
we chose the diamond because its not as snappy!! the pet shop guy showed us the difference by aggravating the both of them (i didnt like watching it by the way) and the diamond just wanted to get away were the childrens python tryed to attack.
the enclosure we have at the moment is a 2x2x2 and it does a perfect job for now. i am trying to build a bigger enclosure now. and yes they like to clime.
the enclosure we got to begin with was $300 with lights rocks and a log and water bowl.
the diamond was $399. children pythons are cheaper but the diamond have superb markings and colors i love them.

Pet shops will always be more pricey when it comes to buying your python. They have a store front and are available during working hours at your whim, therefore they have overheads and must markup all saleable goods. $300 at pet shop prices is pretty fair.

Private breeders would offer the same animals at around $150. However, pick your breeder wisely and remember, if buying from a breeder, you have to plan the purchase and make arrangements, you can't just drop in.

So whats the better opinion, going with a store or a private breeder? its just that I know the animal is vet checked with the store and i get 5 weeks worth of food, heat mat, click clack, and a few other things. This guy does have also cheaper enclosures that are that white covered chipboard that a lot of people on here have, for about $250. I was just asking about the 2x2x2, as i was looking into getting an enclosure that matched the rest of the house. but its not too important.

Read the latest edition of Reptile Australia Magazine available from most large news agency.

They have a road test of all the commonly kept pythons.

1. i hav a childreni, she is pretty, but they do loose there black spots with age, were as spotteds dont. any specie of snake has the ability to be snappy. some are placid whilst some are the demon spawn..
2. yes, they like to climb, not alot, but they like to sit up high everynow and then.
3..Yes, all snakies like a high branch to sit up on
4. this is the best site you will find, and for enclosure, buy one for snakes, then buy artifical jungle vines , logs , stuff like that make it pretty.
just reptiles are fine, however like all petshops they are way overpriced. but, the deal that he has offered you is fairly resonable, i brought my childreni of URS and including freight only paid $220. which is good price.
JUNGLEROB makes great enlcosures, i know this i just got one of him. that price just reptiles gave u is disgusting... i just got a massive enclosure built for my 9 yr old carpet, and it was only $300 with wiring, so send JUNGLEROB a message.
i keep my baby water python in a click clack, and just use heat rock for his heat, he is happy in there, has heaps of room to strike at me, so click clacks are great for juvis.
cheers, and good luck....WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF HERPING :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
mel

So whats the better opinion, going with a store or a private breeder? its just that I know the animal is vet checked with the store and i get 5 weeks worth of food, heat mat, click clack, and a few other things. This guy does have also cheaper enclosures that are that white covered chipboard that a lot of people on here have, for about $250. I was just asking about the 2x2x2, as i was looking into getting an enclosure that matched the rest of the house. but its not too important.

Hey. just remember a heat mat, 5 weeks worth of food and a click clack doesn't summount to the $330 with a python.

Pinkies are around $15 for 5 weeks worth (one per week). Don't forget snakes don't eat a lot :)

Go with a breeder for a number of reasons - but above all a breeder knows exactly what they're doing and they have their reputation to whithold.

I bought from a breeder and it's rare you get a bad deal.

Definitely keep checking this site's for sale and if you need to transport the snake it's around $50 within queensland.

Don't be too hastey to throw away good money.

What are the 'extra' things you talk about? If it's a hide, use an old terracota pot and use a sharp end screwdriver and cut out a small gap in the pot lid to allow the snake to crawl in and hide, just sand back the edges so there's no sharpo bits. Use an old tissue box. A bird breeding box. A water bowl for a small dog is ideal as they're unlikey to tip over when your snake gets bigger. I got mine for $2 from crazy clarks!

But if you want to get from the pet shop you will be paying that extra, for what i can see, nothing really worthwhile!

The heat mat will require a thermostat anyway, it's unlikely it will be on 100% of the time in Qld!

But definitely get pictures - because here at APS we love to ooooogle at snakes :)

Good luck!

Cheers

Paul

ok umm your starting to turn me towards breeders, This guy is a breeder, he's a reptile enthusiest. But yes again, i realise that because its a store, he has to charge more. Extras include rocords of feeding, he makes sure they have atleast one feed before they leave, he has a vet check it over on the day so you can see. ok if i buy it privately from a breeder, do i get the records and all that? Whats a good size click-clack for a juvie and how much would i be looking at for a heat mat and thermo? should i buy i large one so i can later fit it into the enclosure so i dont have to buy another one?

any good breeder will have the feeding and shedding records on file, for a click clack i would go with a 30cm long click clack that will last him till hes ready to go into a permanant enclosure, you should have no problems finding a breeder in the area, otherwise steve6610 should be down this way soon and he has spotteds

ok heres my plastic container/ large click-clack. Im going to use this, it make it so i can cut it off in area's and maybe add 2 levels, but with this I can at least not have to worry about rushing to get an enclosure straight away. Ill have to see what im going to do tho.

the measurments are 650x420x400mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back