New Photos Uploaded

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Archibald

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I notice you didnt tell them about the male heath and his penchant for razzas pinkie finger...............i am sending him to the doc tomorrow..........hehehehe............go on show the pictures............

Nice Tanks Simon, well done!
I have some good land set aside, One day I hope to do the same.

Caz, mentioned that in the caption to the Heathie's pic ;-)

Thanks ad - took a lot of work!!!

Simon Archibald

Looks awesome, and some especially nice monitors you have there. My question is where are the pics of the gouldii and enclosure?? :(

Simon,
very cool... do you want to come up here to build me a pit for my goulds and croc?
Do you have pics of the rosenbergi biting raz'z fingers?

Nice outdoor enclosures Simon. Well done.
Do you have enough room to walk all the way around them, they look as though they're set of the fence line. Are the concrete bases you have your colourbond fencing on dug into the dirt by much. I would imagine you would have to dig a trench down deep enough to stop the monitors burrowing out. Is the water feature on the heath monitors pit operational?

Just wondering as I'm in the middle of planning outdoor enclosures for my backyard. Would like to be able to have either a pair of lacey's or heath monitors in one and Gippsland water dragons, blueys turtles etc in the other one.

Thanks

Thanks heaps for the compliments guys. Brodes, if you put me for a week, allow me to go behind-the-scenes at TWP and feed me, I'll be happy to help you with the pit :)

I've just uploaded a pic of my Sand Monitor. It was taken by Matt before he sold it to me.

Simon Archibald

nice pics mate.......do u keep snakes too or just monitors?? i can never remember these things :oops:

hugsta said:
Do you have enough room to walk all the way around them, they look as though they're set of the fence line.

I can walk around the fronts of both and along one side of each. Can't get behind the back as is on the fence line - cemented right to the fence as you said.

hugtsa said:
Are the concrete bases you have your colourbond fencing on dug into the dirt by much. I would imagine you would have to dig a trench down deep enough to stop the monitors burrowing out.

The concrete is not dug into the ground at all. It sits only directly on the ground. The fence then is sitting directly on top of this with no gap. What I had hoped I could do is dig a trench 70cm deep around the perimeter on the inside of the concrete, bury mesh all around and simply allow them to burrow naturally, being that they couldn't get out through the sides. Problem is that with my pure-clay soil was impossible to do by hand or any machine. In the end, I had to lay mesh across the floor of the enclosure, cover that with clay that was dug up earlier, and cover that with the sand.

hugsta said:
Is the water feature on the heath monitors pit operational?

Yes it will work but not switching it on during winter months. If you look at the "Heatpit2" photo, you will see the cord from the pump running up the back fence. What I intend to do is spraypaint this cord with the touch-up paint that I got with the fencing so it blends in. This will then be plugged into an outdoor water-protected power point on the back of the house (which the cord is the perfect length for).

Simon Archibald

Just uploaded the bite picture. The Heath Monitor decided he wanted to bite RAZZA on the finger - OUCH!!! Doesn't look as bad in the pic as it did when it happened.

Simon Archibald

SW,
I keep a Coastal, a Jungle, Eastern Beardies, Eastern Blueys, Eastern Waters and the monitors.

Simon Archibald

nice pics Simon. your pits look like monitor paradise! will you plant shade tree/s before summer hits, or will they just burrow when the mercury soars? very nice work mate.

Thanks Dan.

Before I built the pits, we did tests with fence panels and finding where the sun would hit throughout different times of the year. There is always a good degree of shadow cast on the left side of the pits as you look at them, even through summer. This is why the ponds are to the left - in the coolest spots. Although the fencing will heat up, it isn't that bad (as we tested it) and the ponds will be used extensively by the Lacies I think. The heathies will have extra logs and they can also hide behind the waterfall which is nice and cool. I will mist / hose the enclosures on the hot summer days to raise humidity / drop the temps.

Simon Archibald

Yeah great show all.. bloody sneaky monitor that one.. i had been nursing him for quite sometime walking around..then caz took his photo and i guess he got the dirt's... i stood there and watched as he slowly turned around and bite down on the finger..all the time saying to myself nah he ain't doing that..and then the crunch down on my finger i guess proved to me he was doing a good job...nice to see your finger disappear down a monitors throat...man it bleed heaps

cheers

Sounds like youve done all the homework mate, well done! They will love it! :wink:

Thanks for the info Simon, will help me with designing my outdoor pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back