new rat room

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Finished moving all my rats and racks into the new rat room today. Now I just need to finish making a heap more racks to fill it.....

The racks with the black cement mixing tubs are my existing racks and the ones with the clear ki-tab tubs are what im going to convert them all to. The 21 tub racks are breeding racks, the smaller tubs are birthing tubs and I have some others not pictured for growing out.

I have found better results by seperating preggo mums out - the bubs seem to grow quicker, more evenly and less chance of them being neglected or killed. It also stops the breeding tubs from being overcrowded.

The room is a part of a shed that has been enclosed and insulated. There are 4 extractor fans which can have the potential to change the air in the room every 5 mins and I also an evaporative cooler I run to help cool the room on hot days and can also be used as just a massive fan to help improve ventilation.

Now to just build more racks and grow the numbers up.....fun fun! :lol:

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• existing racks.JPG
    existing racks.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 291
  • breeding rack.jpg
    breeding rack.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 255
  • birthing racks.jpg
    birthing racks.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 227
LOL I like the carbon filter idea!, Is that one of those that are on ebay?

yeah, thought id give it a whirl but will ditch them I think as the air is circulated that often they are not really needed. had a different idea in mind when I bought them.....orginally had a few fans blowing in and a few blowng out but now all fans blow out and evap cooler pushes air in.

Nice to see you also use bio mare i reckon best stuff going. they dont seem to waste as much and ive not lost one baby since i switched to it. I hate seeing photos where people feed them dog food. If you ever want a change or mix with biomare ive found pig grower to be as good its just smaller pellets and harder to feed.Other than that great setup how many baby rats or mice are you getting per month

wrightpython - ive found biomare to be great as well - its a good size cube that doesnt fall through the mesh so there is a lot less wastage and as far as the nutrition goes its up there as well. I also found a certain brand of rodent cube would go very soggy and grow mould if it rained for a couple of days and the humidity was high.

Feel free to give us a hand anytime you want Baden! =)

i was feeding it to my polo pony mares and decided to use it when i ran out of rat cubes then when i got new bag of rat cubes they wouldnt eat it so went back to bio cubes. ive seen it for $18.00 and today paid $24.50 for twenty bags 25kg with the horses ive got ill need another twenty next week. What price do you pay if you dont mind me asking?

$18 is cheap! The cheapest ive found is $23.50 delivered to my door but im always looking for cheaper places. Some places charge up to $35 for a 25kg bag around brissy.

The amount i buy and it seems every week they put price up, might have to sell a few rats, na sell the wives horses instead.

Wow it does look great dave:)

Sorry to sorta go off OT but.......
Do you find the biomare has enough protein, at 15% being 5% lower than laucke rat & mice cubes. And with mummies needing higher protein I find this to give good results.
I have used biomare once and found it to be too small a cube and very dusty.
At $15 for 10kg I think is reasonable, given that it is more balanced. IMO;-)

BTW - my olive said thanks for the pigeon, it was yummy!!!!!

$18 is cheap! The cheapest ive found is $23.50 delivered to my door but im always looking for cheaper places. Some places charge up to $35 for a 25kg bag around brissy.

contact them direct & buy by the ton & get it delivered loose... seriously.... I know someone who has before.. much cheaper.... then store it in a water bowser or something similar that is water tight..... buying by the bag will destroy you.

we use it for the mares to help with there milk production and they tend to condition better on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back