New Snake Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey again
Sorry to bother you all... but I was wondering, where should I drill th holes for the cords, like the heat cord and thermostat?
Also, at what time should I put him into the new enclosure? he is 35-40cm now, but I'll be putting pleanty of hides in for him

When he cannot escape from it..

A baby spotted can usually squeeze between the sheets of glass if sliding glass doors are used.

When you put him in there leave him in his original home with the lid off. He may elect to hang out there for a few days before exploring much.

i would use glass and there is a glass cutter in west end ph 38446848 on boundry st. they are really helpful i just took in a left over bit of track and they cut the right size glass for it. You have been warned about the flexiblity of perplex but be careful with glass too. My spotted squeezed out of a 3mm gap. To stop this problem you can use weather stripping from bunnings, it's a foam strip with tape on one side. Good luck and don't forget to post pics when it's finished.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 62
Yes by all means do be careful of gaps between glass or perspex sheets. Both of my adult Childreni pythons managed to squeeze out through the tiniest of spaces between the glass sliding doors of my enclosures (the gap was only a few mm wide!) It is simply amazing how much they can squash their bodies when they think there might be a valid bid for freedom! :lol:

Trouble, I think you mentioned that you were going to have a single sheet of perspex (or glass) at the front. Will it slide open like a more common enclosure front or will it be fixed? If if is going to be fixed, how are you going to secure the sides of the perspex/glass? I am just curious and trying to create a picture of it in my own head.

I am very impressed with the look of the enclosure thus far. Please do continue to take photograps of your progress. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Kind regards,

Kath

i would use glass and there is a glass cutter in west end ph 38446848 on boundry st. they are really helpful i just took in a left over bit of track and they cut the right size glass for it. You have been warned about the flexiblity of perplex but be careful with glass too. My spotted squeezed out of a 3mm gap. To stop this problem you can use weather stripping from bunnings, it's a foam strip with tape on one side. Good luck and don't forget to post pics when it's finished.

Ah ok thanks channi, I'll give the glass cutters a call:D. I've told dad about the flexiblity of the perspecs, we're not going with that now:rolleyes:.
I can't beleive the gaps they can squeeze out of:shock::rolleyes:... thanks for sharing that pic.

Yes by all means do be careful of gaps between glass or perspex sheets. Both of my adult Childreni pythons managed to squeeze out through the tiniest of spaces between the glass sliding doors of my enclosures (the gap was only a few mm wide!) It is simply amazing how much they can squash their bodies when they think there might be a valid bid for freedom! :lol:

Trouble, I think you mentioned that you were going to have a single sheet of perspex (or glass) at the front. Will it slide open like a more common enclosure front or will it be fixed? If if is going to be fixed, how are you going to secure the sides of the perspex/glass? I am just curious and trying to create a picture of it in my own head.

I am very impressed with the look of the enclosure thus far. Please do continue to take photograps of your progress. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Kind regards,

Kath

I'm going to be getting a piece of glass now, and it will be sliding like a normal enclosure front... if you take a look at the pic (its hard to see:rolleyes:) but you can see the track that I'll be putting the glass in.
IMGP1480.jpg

I will be sure to add pics as I go...:D Thanks for all your nice comments so far.

oh p.s. The self adheasive glue on velcrow, will it affect snakes at all?
I'm wanting to stick the astro turf down with velcrow so I can clean it easily, but I wanted to make sure the glue wont harm 'Trousa':rolleyes::).

Last edited:
B U M P I T Y
U
M
P
I need to kno The self adheasive glue on velcrow, will it affect snakes at all? Also, where should I drill the holes for the heat cord and thermostat?:rolleyes:

Trouble the glue shouldent have an effect on the snake just if it smells let it air out for a couple of days untill it goes then you can put the snake in there it will be fine.

Love the tank, Thats a great idea. Never thought of the Warehouse for reptile enclosures, Thanks for the heads up

I've never seen perspex at Bunnings. How do you cut it to size?

I am unaware of Bunnings selling it and I doubt they would cut it to size.

Bunnings don't sell glass or cut that to size either.

Fortunately your local glazier is usually pretty good for these sort of items both on price and service. It does pay to shop around a bit though.

Thanks Python Blue, I'll air it out before I put him in the enclosure.
Herptrader, I'm going to goto the glass cutter channi recommended... then I'll goto bunnings to pick up the vents.
Sockbat, your welcome,. I find the warehouse has everything :lol:

If you get put off by the price of the vents check out the sink strainers, the little metal ones designed to go over plug holes. These can work out well and are generally a much cheaper option.

I even found that a cheap ceiling fan (which essentially has a vent as a cover) was cheaper than a vent of the same area.

Thanks Python Blue, I'll air it out before I put him in the enclosure.
Herptrader, I'm going to goto the glass cutter channi recommended... then I'll goto bunnings to pick up the vents.
Sockbat, your welcome,. I find the warehouse has everything :lol:

Ah ok, the sink strainers sound like a good idea :D :lol:
Does anyone know where I should drill the holes for the heat cord, thermometre and thermostat cords to go through??? I need help on this, where should I place the heat cord 1stly, then where should I place the thermometre?

cheers :D
Trouble :twisted:

is that fake grass ok to use on all levels?

i think it would look GREAT in my set up as seen below...

it would also helo find the snake when shes hiding in a corner

i would also love some ideas on what to use as a backdrop or what to do with the back of it

mike

Attachments

• IMAGE_073.jpg
    IMAGE_073.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 58
Update Pics

Hey all:D

Well I promised I would post more pics as soon as I did some more on the enclosure... so here they are...
IMGP1499.jpg

IMGP1500.jpg

IMGP1503.jpg

IMGP1501.jpg

I was wondering, is 100% acrilic (sp?) paint alright near snakes? cause that is what the paint is;):rolleyes:.

Hope you all like, and feedback would be great

cheers
Trouble

ooh... p.s. how big should the holes be for the heat cord, thermostat and thermometer? and if we do them too big can we use something around them to seal them in.?

(mightymike, please ask in future if u would like to take over my post;))

hey soz dude didnt intend to !!!! u gave me the insperation for the fake grass..... and isnt that what this sites all about?? sharing ideas?

hey thats cool
I've had other people on other sites take over my posts.

I recon fake grass is awesome, I think my boy loves the feel of it... can't wait to get him into the new enclosure :D

Your enclosure is looking good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back