Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin8ight-e

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Adelaide and would like to buy a Murray Darling Carpet Python, Do I need a permit to buy from a pet store and own one snake?
Is a heat mat better then a ceramic heater?
The enclosure is about 1.2mtrs x 1.2mtrs x 440mm deep.
Also what is the differance between a Yearling and a Hatchling?
Sorry I'm very new to this, I have lots of questions.

Cheers.

You need to have a wildlife license, even for just one snake.

Unless you are buying from another state you don't need any other permits.

Heating and enclosures sizes will depend on the age of the snake you are getting.

A hatchling is from weeks old, maybe a couple of months old, and a yearling is a snake that is at least 12 months old.

That is actually incorrect,in S.A. you dont need a permit to own 1 reptile,however you will need to apply for one to keep multiple reptiles.
As for whether a heat mat is better than using a ceramic,thats a personal choice thing and opinions will vary.
Depending on whether you get a hatchy or a yearling will determine the size of the enclosure you will need.Putting a small snake or hatchling into a large enclosure can lead to health and feeding problems due to stress.
The common opinion is to put hatchlings into click clacks with a heat mat underneath half of the enclosure.
If you can let us know some more details with regards to what you will get we can help you more with setups etc.

That is actually incorrect,in S.A. you dont need a permit to own 1 reptile,however you will need to apply for one to keep multiple reptiles.
As for whether a heat mat is better than using a ceramic,thats a personal choice thing and opinions will vary.
Depending on whether you get a hatchy or a yearling will determine the size of the enclosure you will need.Putting a small snake or hatchling into a large enclosure can lead to health and feeding problems due to stress.
The common opinion is to put hatchlings into click clacks with a heat mat underneath half of the enclosure.
If you can let us know some more details with regards to what you will get we can help you more with setups etc.

Thanks Guys,

I'm not sure what I'm getting yet But it's good to know about Licences in SA.
I'll probably get a Hatchling Murray Crapet Python and put it in a larger cage and see how it feeds and at worse i can feed it in a Click Clack until he feeds in his normal enclosure.

Sorry mate but it aint that easy.
If you house a hatchling in an enclosure that is to large for it, it is more than likely that the animal will become snappy as a defence mechanism due to stress and more than likely wont eat regardless of being transfered into a smaller tub to feed.
Housing a small snake in too large an enclosure can cause numerous health problems which can all be brought on by stress.You will have a far healthier and much more settled in animal if you follow some simple advice from the start which in turn will allow you to enjoy the privilege of owning a reptile from day one.

May I gently suggest....before you buy anything.....get some books...do lots of research, talk to breeders, it's not just a matter of....oh good, don't need a license, I'll go get a snake and see what happens.....please, please, please....for the sake of the animal....get everything set up first, know what the animal needs for it's age and size, do these things long before you buy a creature. It all sounds easy.....but starting out needs lots of preparation....

Good luck.

May I gently suggest....before you buy anything.....get some books...do lots of research, talk to breeders, it's not just a matter of....oh good, don't need a license, I'll go get a snake and see what happens.....please, please, please....for the sake of the animal....get everything set up first, know what the animal needs for it's age and size, do these things long before you buy a creature. It all sounds easy.....but starting out needs lots of preparation....

Good luck.

Thanks,

I'll do that because it would be cheaper for me to set up a small enclosure to start with and I don't want to do this unless it's right.
The breeder was the one who told me to put a hatchling into a larger enclosure, but I will get the info from some books I think.
I don't want a unhealthy snake.

Is there any suggestions on what I will need to set up the enclosure for a Hatchling?

Cheers

I think this is a terrific thread:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266
shows you how to make your own click clack - step by step - you can't go wrong :)

Thanks.

Is this the best way to raise a Hatchling? Should I set up a Click Clack and then move it into a larger Enclosure when it's bigger?
If so, how long should I keep it in the Click Clack before moving it into the larger enclosure?

Thanks for everyones help and advise on this. :D

DAMN YOU SCALER!!!! it's always me who jumps in with the guide to building a click clack!!!! You beat me to it. Haha.
Erm, Colin, my coastal carpet (pretty much same size as Murray) stayed in her click clack til about 12 months of age. She is now in a 52L starmaid plastic tub at 15 months old. I find tubs easier (and cheaper) than other enclosures until they are ready to go into their permament enclosure.
And then I just use a heat mat or heat cord under 1/3 of the enclosure. And last night I got her out and she was all happy and kissy and snuggly. And she is also a GREAT feeder. So I know that she is healthy!!
But I must admit, I was like you when I got her (my first snake) and didn't really have any idea what I was doing. And things went a little crazy (please no one judge me for that!! she is now an amazing snake and all my snakes are good etc etc).
So things to remember - make sure the breeder / pet shop can give you feeding/shed records, you do all the research possible, leave the bub to settle in for 1 to 2 weeks and then try feeding. Try not to handle until the snake is on a good feeding schedule (eating once a week maybe). And when you start handling just do little bits at a time until the bubby gets used to you.
Thats just stuff I'd suggest so you have a good little snake.
Good luck with your little one when you get it! and post up some pics of it too!

Thanks to everyone,

I have bought a book called Pythons so this has got alot of info in it.
I'm thinking I might start with a Click Clack and go from there.
And the guys from Reptile City has given me alot of info and are very helpful.

DAMN YOU SCALER!!!! it's always me who jumps in with the guide to building a click clack!!!! You beat me to it. Haha.

LOL Sorry Amy I was just so excited - for once I could offer advice instead of always being the one asking the questions!! I'll let you get the next one tho i promise :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back