Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxPOWERS

Not so new Member
Reaction score
got a spotted mac the other day off this lady who had kept it since it was a hatchy but fed it only a fuzzy mouse once a week. it is now 2 years old and only 35cm long roughly(about as thick as my middle finger). about the same size as my other 4 month old centralian carpet. she is also an angry b!&#%. now my first question is will she go through a rapid growth once i start feeding her properly and do think she will calm down if i handle her alot.

I am only very novice but with my limted opinion i say yes as i was not feeding my coastal enough when i first got her ( as being my first snake and just didnt know better ) she was also very angry and always use to bite i have now got feeding under control she is pretty much back to normal size for her age and hasnt bitten me since this incident except once (feeding acident my fault) so i think yes IMO but expereienced people on this site should be able to shine a brighter light on the siuation then i can :)

that lady should be shot. wonder if she would like to be staved. it will grow when its feed though it may allways be smaller than it should. it may settle down and lose its anger when its not hungry

Try leaving it alone for a week or so before attempting to feed it. If you only recently got her then she's probably stressed out from being moved. As for her biting there may be a couple reasons; she's hungry, she may be going into a shed, stressed out from the move or just hasn't been handled much before. My two cents, but I'm a newbie here so there should be others who have a better idea about all this than me.

- Justin

sometimes if they are very hungry they dont know whats wrong with them...and with the change as well its probably really stressed
I had a little snake that was a bit like this very small and bad feeder.
What i did was start again with pinkies...so i fed pinkie rats for a bit and then started increasing food size with every feed and he was such a bad feeder. Then one day abour 6 months later I only had a 110 gram rat and I thought....well he is about the same size as my other snake when she started taking rats that size...and to my astonishment he took it and was so delighted with himself he is now a good feeder....but does feed once a fortnight rather than once a week but still he is eating and every big feed takes him into shed because he is growing like stink

Hope this helps you...poor little thing

like i work with a lot of people who have had snakes and have snakes (because i my self am quike new to keeping snakes lol didnt stop me from getting 3 in the first 3 months of having snakes) they say that macs are quite small anyway but after 2 years u would think that it we be a bit bigger than it is now. i will try and get some photos of it.

ok so to start u off what are you using as a heat source. uv lamp/ natural light is the best for reptiles as they thrive on the vitamin D which is good for there bone growth. u dont want to feed it to large as it was stunted as a hatchling you will make it fat and a fat snake is an unhealthy snake. still feed it once a week but dont over feed. as with its tempermant. if you dont want the bites go to bunnings and get a good fitted glove, put you hand in and pick it up every day (except for 48 hours after feeding of cause). if you do this doesnt reaally matter how old they are with in a month or 2 it will stop. iv just picked up a yearling water python which is the most aggressive snake i own taking my collection to 9 now and dont it a few times a day over the past few weeks and seen a massive improvement. good luck and let us know how you go.

had 2 problem feeding childreni.changed from pinkie mice to pinkie rats and both turned out to be bottom feeders. dont be afraid to try something different.

i have a 18 month old spotted same thing he is still hatchie size. put him on pinky rats and a one day old quail each feed once a week. and my bredli are on a sub adult rat and a 2 week old qauil as well. bredil like food best to feed leave over night then handle. as i do with most of my snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back