Newbie questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonedeaf

Reaction score
I have my first 9 month old Stimson and I was wondering, what do people do when the go on holidays. I'm not planning on going on one but just wondering what you do if you go away for a week or 2.

My stimson is in a click clack tub 350x240, is this an ok size and at what age should I go bigger.

Also, I have made 5 holes along each long side (along the top) and 2 holes at each end, and 8 holes in the lid. With summer coming, I was wondering if this is going to be enough holes for ventilation. I live in queensland and my flat can get a bit warm in summer.

I have been feeding her 2 pinkie mice since I got her a month ago(as advised by the person I got her off), but am now going to go to 2 pinkie rats ( as advised by a local breeder who I get my feed from).
I have always been worried about if I thaw them enough. I leave them in the hot water, in a plastic bag, for about 3 min. I feel them to make sure they are soft, but as I am will be going up to larger sizes I worry about if they are thawed enough and even though they feel soft and they still be cold on the inside. Any guidelines?

6.jpgIMAG0345.jpg

It will be fine for that amount of time. If anything I will get someone to come and change the water because I think that snakes prefer fresh water to drink.

as andynic07 said. It will be fine, getting somebody to change water every 5-7 days would be beneficial.

Feeding "wet" rodents (those thawed directly in water) with weekly feeding will provide your snake with ample hydration, having said that leaving your snake for a week or two will have no real effect on your reptile. It is also good to have someone with some knowledge keep an eye on things in case if a malfunction with electrics etc.

Your Stimson python really should be moving onto prey with fur. I personally get then into fuzzy mice as soon as physically possible and keep the prey as large as they will take. By nine months, assuming the animal is a good feeder, I like to have them taking weaner to sub adult mice.

Feel is the best way to test if your feed is thawed out. If it feels defrosted, I leave it a minute or two more and feed away.

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back