Newbie to monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ita very hard to dind information on monitors a good book is keeping and breeding austalian monitores I think its called
You where told the wrong thing if you grab it everyday your monitor will hate you forever It can take about 2 years or so before you can handle him/her without
being scratched or bitten or hissed at

if this douche isnt a troll i can see the headline now "Reptile keeper clawed to death and then eaten by the pet that "loved" him."

Why bother coming on here if you know it all already.

And I thought i asked too many annoying questions when I was a newbie.

In defense of handling daily, I don't see an issue with it if a reptile is happily doing so. As long as it isn't kept out for too long at any one time, if it is happy to come out, then I think it should. The issue here is attitude towards handling.

Teamls - You seem to think the pet shop keeping the monitors out on shoulders etc is because it's "the done thing," well, hate to break it to you champ, A PET SHOP IS A BUSINESS > if the monitors were locked away under key and they didn't handle them at all, had basking temps of 60 degrees (which would make the monitors more active than they are and LOTS more agro) I doubt as many people would purchase. See the math here?

Everyone has a different opinion on handling reptiles, one extreme is handling for several hours a day and the other end is never handling, so I don't think there is an issue with that. Each to their own - as long as the animal eats and behaves normally (and by normal I mean NATIVELY normal) I dont' feel there is an issue, unless the reptile is being used as an accessory (which I believe is going to be the case here, the whole reference to shoulder riding and watching tv is a dead give away - the monitor probly seeks people due to their body temperature, not the desire to be friendly)

ok mate you are obviously not listening to reason, but for your information your monitor (in the wild) comes from aroud the Darwin springs area, where it commonly reaches 40 degrees, and just incase you don't know the rocks heat up during the day and attain a tempature considerably higher than the air, and just in case you don't know these animal are durinal which means they are active in these temps, Savy? the reason why he is so "tame" is because he is so cold and can not operate or become active enough to do anything apart from Sit in your hand. I think you will find your monitor dead or very sick befor a year is over.
is this clear?

Edit: just realized I fell for a troll!

Last edited:
Troll or not it'll be the monitor that pays for his ignorance. I don't understand people that ask for advice and then accuse people of wrong doing....:|

Oh dear...

1. Increase the basking temperature, unless you want your monitor to die. Monitors NEED a hot basking spot.
Yes, I realise that it never gets that hot in the monitors natural habitat, but we're not in its habitat are we?
Keep the hot spot at 50 as a minimum, keep the cool end at about 30.

2. DO NOT HANDLE THE MONITOR!!!! If you care about your monitor you will not handle it!!! It will overstress and may quite possibly die. On this forum are some of the countries most experienced monitor keepers and breeders, do not ignore them when they tell you not to handle it!!

3. Respect the members on this forum. You have been given plenty of helpful advice by many knowledgable members, a lot of which you have simply dismissed as incorrect and misleading, just because you dragon keeping mates have told you differently.

Read this care sheet... An Argus Keeper's Tricks

your going to either kill you monitor or make it very sick.
why dont you ask if your friends they seem to know every think ,and everyone on this site is wrong?
an why are you calling everyone keyboard warriors when your the biggest one here?

people please, he may have been a bit arrogant but this is supposedto be a kind forum where we give each other helpful advice not punish peoplefor mistakes, be kind!

people please, he may have been a bit arrogant but this is supposedto be a kind forum where we give each other helpful advice not punish peoplefor mistakes, be kind!

It's a two way street

put my hand in my tank tonight and he ran straight over to me and up my arm.
he sat on my shoulder while i changed his tank around, i gave him a pool i can change the height of for him and heaps to climb. once i had finished i sat on my couch and he jumped off and walked over to his cage and hopped in. so i dunno what all you dreamers are on about :shock:

What reptiles store did you buy him from? I live in Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back