newbie what should I breed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
Hi im wondering as im a newbie to keeping snakes im looking at getting into breeding next season. Im thinking which is better to breed for a novice Stimson Wheatbelt, Spotted or Morelia Spilota Cheynei want feedback as which are easier to feed when hatchlings such as what they eat as hatchlings eg pinkys or is pinkys to large which on average has larger clutch which will be easier to sell out there etc. Also just the basic starting price for each species.
If you can help me with anything else much appreciated.

I think you should just learn how to keep them first off....breeding may come much later.....

Hi im wondering as im a newbie to keeping snakes im looking at getting into breeding next season. Im thinking which is better to breed for a novice Stimson Wheatbelt, Spotted or Morelia Spilota Cheynei want feedback as which are easier to feed when hatchlings such as what they eat as hatchlings eg pinkys or is pinkys to large which on average has larger clutch which will be easier to sell out there etc. Also just the basic starting price for each species.

if i was you i would hold out a few years and get to know how to care for them first and then look at breeding

yeah, agreed. and you should know, there are two types of pinkies too. pinkie mice & pinkie rats.
learn how to keep a python first, then move onto breeding later down the track. it's taken me almost 5yrs since I got my first snake to get up the courage to breed them. I know people who have taken longer to get all the knowledge and experience you need.
Take time, learn how to look after your snakes first. you don't want to jeopardize hatchlings lives because you're inexperienced. Get a hatchling as your first snake, maybe :)

By the sounds of this its another person trying to make a quick buck. Then again it is school holidays so stupid questions are always flooding forums.

Probably learn the basics first mate.
You SHOULD learn a lot in the first year of keeping.
But not enough to breed.

I agree with the others, keep for a few years then look into breeding. I have kept snakes for over 5 years and am yet to breed them. Another reason not to breed is the mass oversupply of snakes at the moment, alot of breeders cant sell their stock even at greatly reduced prices. Enjoy keeping them :)

which on average has larger clutch which will be easier to sell out there etc.

if you breed any of those common species chances are you will be stuck with the bubs for a while

if you breed any of those common species chances are you will be stuck with the bubs for a while
exactly. Who are you gonna sell the hatchies to. After all the costs, there aint much [if any] money in snakes for someone just starting to breed.

I would imagine without having a lot of keeping experience getting straight into breeding would be (or should be for anyone with sense :) ) a reeeally scary proposition.
I would only be guessing... but I think with snakes you might want to at very least raise a couple of snakes right from hatchies to breeding age, I think that would give you a nice coverage of experience :) That is at least three years I think (correct me if I am wrong?). If that sounds unacceptable to you... then I guess if you are really keen and willing to put in some hard work you might be able to get a mentor... a common thing in some other species circles, but I guess probably not at all common within the snake world :)

I wouldn't try to fast track it if I were you... unless you work closely with a mentor. But to answer your questions... from browsing a fair few sales sites, it appears that price is low on all species, indicating supply outweighing demand. If this is the case, you might want to look into a species that lays few eggs in each season. Supply and demand would be more balanced and you will have less drama rehoming them as fewer to find homes for. Thats about where my usefullness ends :) I don't know anything about breeding snakes... or even getting young hatchies to begin eating... though I think if you don't know what/how to feed hatchies yet, you need to seriously rethink getting into breeding :)

As with the rest learn to care for them first then breed, breeding requires more than just putting opposite sexes together. Racks, tubs, heating, feeding (long term if their not moving) all a factor when you get the hatchies it aint all about the potential $$$.

OT I think a lot of newbies want to get into breeding straight away not only for the promise of dollars in their eyes but also to elevate status in the "community". For some odd reason, if you haven't bred reptiles the mentality seems to be that you know sweet FA about them, which is absolute BS.

OT I think a lot of newbies want to get into breeding straight away not only for the promise of dollars in their eyes but also to elevate status in the "community". For some odd reason, if you haven't bred reptiles the mentality seems to be that you know sweet FA about them, which is absolute BS.

hit the nail on the head there.....

im a newbie awaiting my first snake, and i would love to breed them but even i think its a dumb idea to breed the same year you are just learning. and to get them just to breed is not the right reason to be buying snakes. or any pet for that matter. if you want to buy a pet that you can breed straight away get some mice no troubles finding homes for them on here

I would imagine without having a lot of keeping experience getting straight into breeding would be (or should be for anyone with sense :) ) a reeeally scary proposition.
I would only be guessing... but I think with snakes you might want to at very least raise a couple of snakes right from hatchies to breeding age, I think that would give you a nice coverage of experience :) That is at least three years I think (correct me if I am wrong?).

I agree. My first snake was an adult spotted python. After that I got a 7 month old Murray Darling, then an 8 week old Bredli, a 5 month old coastal, an adult coastal, and I recently bought a 5 month old Olive. Care of juveniles is different from adults, they need to eat more often, they can shed more often. They can be very jumpy flighty and snappy when young because they're frightened, and it can take a year or more for them to settle down, so you have to have a lot of time and patience for them. When you're just starting out having one juvenile can be scary enough, having 20 or so and an adult that needs to be fattened up again after laying her eggs isn't something I'd recommend.

Trying to get the eggs off the mother after she's laid them is also something to consider... what will you do when you have an 8ft cranky snake repeatedly striking at you to keep you away from those eggs? When breeding for the first time you shouldn't leave the eggs with the mother, you need to learn more first. Start with hatchies, have them for a few years and read up on breeding snakes. Then when you want to breed, try to get someone who is experienced with breeding snakes to help you :)

I would suggest going for spotted pythons, very hardy and easy to breed. As mentioned there are lots of snakes being bred these days so dont expect to make much money(not that im saying that is your intention). If you can find some top quality animals they will sell for over $100 which isnt bad IMO. Being new to keeping it would probably be hard to pick quality breeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back