Newspaper on enclosure floors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I did a bit of experimenting, I found the ink came off the paper with oil, oily hands, greasy hands, turps. Not with either water or urine, human nor snake. Tomorrow at work I'll try metho and a few other things.

I use paper towel mostly, sometimes news paper.... Simple reason for paper towel is because I dislike the feel of news paper it makes my skin crawl. I only have 5(soon to be 6)snakes and they mainly go poo and wee on the grass so I usually only need to replace it once a week anyhow so the expense is not an issue :) I would probably go to butcher paper if I had more snakes(heh heh heh yep, I can see that in the not too distant future )

Ok, I did a bit of experimenting, I found the ink came off the paper with oil, oily hands, greasy hands, turps. Not with either water or urine, human nor snake. Tomorrow at work I'll try metho and a few other things.

Most lithographic inks use water against the plate so the rotating blanket only transfers the ink from the part of the plate that has image on it. The disolving chemical (among others) is shellite, so it must be water repellent? I was a bookbinder, not a printer ;)

If the ink stays fast on the newspaper you are using, that means it is quality newsprint and ink. Do the water experiment with some local printed newspaper, and if you really want to see ink run, do some on advertising 'newspapers' cheap and nasty :shock: Some of the bad ones will actually leave a negative image on white mellomine if it is wet and sits there :lol:

You must have great quality newspaper there peter

I only have 5(soon to be 6)snakes and they mainly go poo and wee on the grass so I usually only need to replace it once a week anyhow so the expense is not an issue :) I would probably go to butcher paper if I had more snakes(heh heh heh yep, I can see that in the not too distant future )

This will all change when you get your elapids, Crystal! Some of my guys have been known to go twice a day, not to mention the odd paper towel sucker:)

Attachments

• garbage guts! 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    garbage guts! 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 62
  • garbage guts! 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    garbage guts! 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 64
This will all change when you get your elapids, Crystal! Some of my guys have been known to go twice a day, not to mention the odd paper towel sucker:)
That is shocking but still looks kinda funny lol...... I am definitely going to butcher paper when I get my elapids ;) (Just have to work on Hubby a bit more he is convinced I will be attacked and "poisoned"to death lol I just told him not to worry and to keep up with my insurance policy pmsl)

If you spray a hydrocarbon based solvent onto the newspaper it will transfer the newsprint onto the surface under it. Cool. Acetone removes it. I might take the rest of the week off.

It doesnt come off with metho or snake urine. Tried this myself. Canola and vege oil does leave a trace. Our pure olive oil, foot pressed by virgins, does'nt even mark the paper:D. However, when I pee'd on the paper, then told the missus to rub it a bit, (the paper), she would'nt do, so I don't know if human pee pee does affect it or not. P.S, this is not a certified scientific study:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back