Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coir mulch in the bricks from Bunnings works well.....but don't just buy any packet....

Read the instructions as several of them are loaded with chemical fertilizers. Also check between sizes - I encountered one packet of product that was labelled identically to that of a different size, but the fine print revealed it was loaded with ferts where the other size wasn't.

I use either fine coir mulch, breeders choice litter, hemp, paper, or nothing at all depending on which enclosure and snake.

Well typically it's best to know what the snake requires for humidty (which is a must with using a normal glass aquarium) Some snakes like my brazlian rainbow boa required 80% on average for humidity, which i used coconut fiber in the brick form because its absorbs water very well and makes the tank sticky... On the other hand my girlfriends cornsnake doesnt require that and we have her on aspen bedding. For my jungle carpet where he's an in between(er) I have him on cypress mulch because 1. it holds humidity well but not to the point its constantly 80-85% humid in his tank, his sits around 50-60%, and 2 it looks nice too. But obviously function over looks is the ideal goal which it always stays moist. My only suggestion is if you do decide to get cypress mulch, make sure to freeze it for like a day. Wood mites love it, and will be in the bag more than likely. not that they necessarily hurt snakes, it gets rid of anything it may contain in the bag pest wise. Just mist it down every once in awhile (i usually do it once a day, maybe 3-4 times a week) and its perfect.

re Aspen
over here in the UK our Aspen seems to have a high dust content...

i and a lot of other Carpet Keepers i know,had to stop using it,as it was causing mild respiratory symptoms in our Carpets

i use newspaper in all my Carpet Enclosures

cheers shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back