Newspaper on enclosure floors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using newspaper substrate for years,various python species have layed eggs on it and under it also ,not a problem.

I just did the same thing and nothing came off. Weird or what?

Nope not weird at all see you live in Sydney I live in coffs harbour different newspapers different results, I doubt very much that you have a copy of the independent to test out living all the way down in sydney so you see it isn't that weird at all

I use newspaper but the snakes spend most of their day on perches, rocks logs, artificial plants and never get inked from the Melbourne HeraldSun.
The more furniture you put in the less time spent on the paper.

I have found that my snakes will crap on either Gillard or Abbott equally. They will also crap on Jennifer Hawkins and Miranda Kerr with the same frequency.

As many others have said, I haven't had inky fingers in years. Never had staining when I was using it as substrate either. I use butcher's paper now though, simply for the fact that it's more convenient... unless there is a nice full page photo of Ms. Gillard, I use those when available.

Hahaha I always put any newspaper articles of her in my parrot cage under where he sleeps ;)

My snakes have no issues with newspaper. Never smudged even when it's gotten damp.

Last edited:
Just something I thought of then if snakes have to absorb water either from their cloaca or from their mouth either via food or drinking water they don't absorb it through their scales then how would they absorb any ink throughh their scales? Wouldn't it have to be absorbed the same way making it almost impossible for them to absorb it from simply laying on it? Just something I thought of

fence sitters ,peter,lol

i use newspaper,never noticed the ink coming off,but i guess theres many a different one out there so some possably do use different inks

Last edited:
Playboy and Penthouse make great substrate, they must use moisture resistent ink or something! I better go clean the cage again before the missus gets home, tenth time today!!!

I'm using the Cairns Compost for my beardie and butcher's paper for my snake. Both will be switched to a more natural-looking substrate soon, the snake when she goes into her adult enclosure, the beardie when I get some time to choose something.

I've never liked newspaper because:

• It looks crappy
  • The animals can't burrow into it
  • I was never certain of the toxic status of the ink
  • I don't buy newspapers all that often anyway.

It was easier to use while my young beardie was settling in. Now that she's queen of her enclosure, it's time to use something else.

''especially if theres a pic of Julia Gillard or Eddie Maguire on the front page!!! ''

this is what you should be letting your snakes poop on !!!!!!!!!

I just did the same thing and nothing came off. Weird or what?

Peter, there are quality newspapers and there are rubbish newspapers (quality of ink and paper) Have you noticed usually the big papers (Telegraph/Courier mail) are usually good quality paper (dont know about the ink) because they buy so much good paper cheap because they know they are unlikely to go out of business. The paper you use Peter must be of good quality ;)
But when you look at the local 'rag' the paper is often flimsy and off white and if you shake the paper, the ink nearly falls off it. It is the cheapest paper and cheapest ink (nasty) because they prolly dont order alot of paper and ink because the business might not exist in a month.

If you grab some papers and check one against another, feel how thick 1 sheet is, is it flimsy/saggy or firm like A4 paper? Does the ink smudge easy? Sniff it, does it stink or not too bad/strong? I bet if you look at your local rag and a quality paper, you will see the difference immediately.

I guess from thinking about all this, I would say it is best you use 'quality' newspapers rather than just any old paper? Look for the differences and learn which is tuffer and smudges/stinks least and use that in preferance. Might be the way to go for newspaper users?

Ratbag, come one mate... what are you talking about!?!
Flame thrower away!!!
WOOOOOSSHHHHH

Just stirring...
:p

I used newspaper for a while on my coastal, gone back to pellets now...
Wasn't as easy to clean as I once thought as I needed to change it more often...
I couldn't just grab a handful of pellets, it was the whole tank...
Shredded paper was good, but flattens out and goes crappy quick.
Anyway, back to the topic.

As reptiles have scales not skin, would it still leech into their bloodstream?

The only time newspaper is bad for the health of your python, is when it rolls a massive doobie with it....

Nothing nasty in news print except the quality of the reporting.

There will always be differing opinions on everything . I have always used newspaper without a single problem and always will . Kitty litter has caused serious shedding problems for a friend , she now uses newspaper . To sum it all up ; THE SKY IS FALLING , THE SKY IS FALLING !

Always used newspaper and never had any ink problems before. Now I get the shop owner to keep the advert sheet for the papers, the ones they keep out the front saying whats in todays paper. The back is unprinted and I find it more pleasing to look at than the crap thats in the papers:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back