night lights

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question..
i wanna be able to see my carpet at night and with the ceramic heater i cant....
i have a infra red heat lamp, can i turn that on at night at the ceramic heater off,,
can snakes see infra red? or if i have it on will he not come out like he normaly does when the day lights are off?
thanx guys hope u understood

snakes cant see infra red or ultraviolet.he should still come out with the red lights on and should keep him warm enough.

I have blue lights and keep them on all the time, but the snakes still know when it is night somehow and become very active.

Ok the snake can "see" IR (thats what its heat sensing pits are for) but you cannot. The slight issue with this is that in fact most "IR" lights are red light (visible) with IR output.

The way I got around this with using a red fluoroscent tube (12v with adapter) and just leave my ceramic heat lamp online on thermostat. My normal white fluoro tube is on a timer for day/night cycling and when I want to look at my bredl at night I just use the red fluoro and this doesn't seem to bother him too much at all.

Cheers Hawkeye

I just got a normal bulb and painted it with red engine paint, keeps my monitors asleep at night and my bredl awake - so I guess it works well.

I've done a bit of observation with my guys and red light. In a dark room with the red light on in the enclosures and dimmed down, the snakes can still see me when I'm close up to the glass and moving. I don't think they can see that well but they can see me.

G

Ordinary red or blue lights give off around the same amount of light as dusk. Snakes are active but you can still see them.

Graham,

Its interesting your observation. Did the snake see you (visual senses) or sense your heat?

Wonder if people have looked into this?

Cheers Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back