Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a member of this art place called Deviant Art and I was asking this guy about the nice colours on his Jungle Python and asked what locality it was.

According to his ego there is no such thing as locality with pythons and that the information I kindly provided about all the different types of Jungles I know, Atherton, Tully, Julatten, Palmerston, Wenlock etc as well as all the colour types and morphs for Jungles I know of, white, honey, zebra, Jag, RPM, tiger etc don't exist as far as he is concerned. There is just one type of Jungle python and its located only in Qld Australia, other types don't exist, designer morphs, natural patterns and colour types don't exist either.

He acted like a complete dick after the first inquiery. Sure I told him off, told him to look at my account so he knows in future to read up on people who actually have snakes and know why they have their information and why they kindly offer it. I was just trying to share info with him, but he couldn't see past his ego.

But it does not excuse the fact that there are locality types and you shouldn't go treating other snake owners like know nothing morons. It kind of insults all the breeders, well known names who I got my information from, as well as information I have gleaned from members here on this forum, beginners and breeders alike who know this stuff, some before they even have a pet snake, others who have been in the ownership circle for decades.

Yeah I'm venting, but I guess it takes all types, there are people out there who are ignorant with owning snakes. Makes me wonder if the guy has a license or if he even knows what a Jungle python is. I'm just very irritated with his personality.

Note: If you have read my post completely and understood why I posted this, this is becasue I was asking the person about the snake and how negaive their 'initial' reaction was and how they continued to act. I was not preaching or forcing info down their throat, I was pleasant to this guy the whole time, he was not, thats what I am talking about. Its not about how he feels or doesn't know or wants to know about his snake. Don't post any unrelated or unecessary opinions.

Anyone else who wants to vent about this kind of ignorance is welcome to but keep in mind the forum rules.

Last edited:
I have jungles, stuffed if I know where it's come from...

I would like them to be Atherton Jungles, because of the name... but I wouldn't have a clue.

They come from a breeder somewhere...

There are definitely different locality types, but your average B&G are usually mixed locality and as such are just sold as plain jungles.

locality is becoming a thing of the past with all snakes/reptiles.

What a load of crap. There are plenty of people who have bred wild caught animals from specific localities and keep the locale pure.
There are also a lot of mixed and unknown locales being produced. I always feel it's better not to put a locale on an animal unless you actually know where it came from.

There are definitely different locality types, but your average B&G are usually mixed locality and as such are just sold as plain jungles.
Agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why you've got yourself so worked up over someone not knowing that there are different localities of snakes. I understand that you're passionate about snakes, but it doesn't mean that someone who knows less about the pet herpetofauna industries cares less for their snake. The information you were preaching to him probably just wasn't important to him.

If I walk down the street eating an Easter egg, I don't expect every Christian to stop and lecture me on the meaning and symbolism of the egg. I just want to eat chocolate.

Chances are most of the OP snakes are mixed locale anyway.. Doubt she knows where the wild ones came from that produced her line... One animal from another area and that's it. The locale is gone...
I've got some mixed SWCP. I don't bother putting a name on them. All I know is they are imbricata. I also have a pair of wild caught imbricata which I lable as "Greenough" as that's where they were caught, and I lable their offspring the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you were there when it was caught you cannot guarantee the locality of most reptiles
You can make a pretty accurate guess
But thats all it is
Even with black/white jungles there are at least 2 separate areas with often fairly noticeable differences but they are all usually referred to as b/w jungle

Technically he is correct because Jungles all come under the same scientific name with no sub species listed

Knowing the original locality is interesting and some breeders are very specific and dedicated to maintaining their bloodlines as Tully Palmerston etc but most people enjoy the snake for what it is rather than getting too worried about it

I don't understand why you've got yourself so worked up over someone not knowing that there are different localities of snakes. I understand that you're passionate about snakes, but it doesn't mean that someone who knows less about the pet herpetofauna industries cares less for their snake. The information you were preaching to him probably just wasn't important to him.

If I walk down the street eating an Easter egg, I don't expect every Christian to stop and lecture me on the meaning and symbolism of the egg. I just want to eat chocolate.
I wasn't preaching to the guy, never said I was. Never said the guy didn't care about his snake either, just said it appeared he wasn't very knowledgeable about it due to the way he acted and treated others. I was having a conversation, I never preached, I just offered info during the course of talking and he got egotisitcal and arrogant because I had info he didn't know about. If you don't understand the intent behind someones thread or actually read what they are posting, then don't post in it, its pointless.

you have two types of keepers, those that have locality specific animals and those that are happy to have a reptile and not know its background or history. And this is now happening with the morph craze were locality becomes unknown or un important.

I have been keeping for many, many years and i like to know the background of my animals and their history. Unfortuneatly these days unless you sources your animals from W/C founder stock or actual W/C you cant be 100%. But those with locality animals will have history and proof of background they can show potiental buyers or back their claims.

Earlier in another thread a member question the locality of my woma's, guessing every state except the correct one just off colour because of the variation as an indicator but unless you know the exact history and background all your doing is guessing. Like i said there will be keepers of locality specific animals and keepers that are not. If your after a particular locale these people who put alot of time into their lines can be found. It would be a sad day for the hobby if locality animals were lost. But there is plenty of room for both sides.

I agree longi to be 100% with locality they need to be source from W/C founder animals. Or breeders like Dave Reed or Dave from pilbara pythons that have the permits to source such animals.

Last edited:
Unless you were there when it was caught you cannot guarantee the locality of most reptiles
But thats all it is
Even with black/white jungles there are at least 2 separate areas with often fairly noticeable differences but they are all usually referred to as b/w jungle

Technically he is correct because Jungles all come under the same scientific name with no sub species listed

Knowing the original locality is interesting and some breeders are very specific and dedicated to maintaining their bloodlines as Tully Palmerston etc but most people enjoy the snake for what it is rather than getting too worried about it
OI wasn't worried about this part of it though. It was more or less how he acted.

But thats allt
I agree most people will call their mixed local snakes anything they can to try and make the sale ,

SF78, he was prolly just stirring you up :lol:

Looks like it worked......

I am a snake lover who doesnt give a poop where what came from, or what colour (I do like green ones tho)..... I understand people wanting albino, het, morph, dwarf....gay, phase 3 (GTHO :lol:) and all that..... I just like snakes (pythons) in general.

Chimp1.jpg

You concentrate on what you like and what you are doing, and forgive any poor mortal (like me) who doesnt really care and everyone will get along just fine ;)

Re reading your original post, he was an artist anyway, not a herpetologist? So..... who cares?

Last edited:
What a load of crap. There are plenty of people who have bred wild caught animals from specific localities and keep the locale pure.
There are also a lot of mixed and unknown locales being produced. I always feel it's better not to put a locale on an animal unless you actually know where it came from.

Agree with this.
lol you just disagreed and then contradicted yourself in the next sentence.

Not really. I'm saying there are both. No doubt locale is mixed for the most part in the east. But as long as wild taking still occurs or people have records of where stock came from then there are still locale animals in the hobby two. Both exist is all.

I agree most people will call their mixed local snakes anything they can to try and make the sale ,

But those with the complete history/background of their animals can supply proof and that is the difference.

It is always buyer beware on any type of sale. If your not 100% sure or happy don't buy. It's a very tight nit community the herp world and the unsavoury are always found out and publically executed :) Its sad to see trust dying in society today.

But if your after a specific locality there are keepers and breeder who take pride in their locales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back