Not bad for a carton of xxxx

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just recieved my NSW RKL last week and am now working on an enclosure that I got off a mate of a mate of a mate for a carton of xxxx. The future Herp encosure was an old cake display fridge with a shot refrigerator unit attached. They said they payed $1500 for it when it was going but when I saw it I had better plans. I've attached some pics for you all to look at, I'll take all the advice I can get to get it right first time, I can just imagine a pair of Bredli's or Murray Rivers or anything in there. The old cake fridge is double glazed with fridge insulation on top, it will need laminated flooring of some description, ventilation (as it is air tight) and is half wired (has twin wires going inside the corners from bottom to top).
Feel free to give advice, thankyou all.

Cheers Jamie

The only thing bad about that is the XXXX. Will make a sweet enclosure.

I'm sure it'll turn out a pretty good enclosure caveman and so far in my 30 years I have not tasted a really bad beer yet....lol!!!

Looks awesome Fleg! :D I know pythons tend to be pretty private creatures with that amount of glass in a captive environment, but with enough branches and hides you'd think would sort that concern out. It'll look great! :D Being double insulated retaining the heat shouldn't be a drama either ;)

Thanks moose, I thought of sticking dark contact around the top 300mm or so all around and maybe cover the back completely, or maybe place it in a corner to compensate for the exposure.

Anyone have ideas of a suitable tennant?

hi fleg,
the dark contact is a good idea and works great, we do that for our hatchlings when putting them into a fish tank, we put it on the back and both ends, so if you even do the back and maybe one side it will be great, and i think you did well for a carton, i'd love to see pics when you get it finished,

cheers,
steve.........

Thanks all so far, I can't wait to show everyone the finnished product :D

Nice score mate. I thought you couldn't give that xxxx XXXX away.

In this case xxxx worked a treat I think Jungle...

can anyone tell me, do water features go alright in a herp enclosure, or does it depend on the actual snake?

Water features will increase the humidity, and unless you've got really good ventilation, you'll find that you end up with a rainforest, and probably condensation on the inside of the glass which will make viewing your animals very difficult. Unless you plan on putting a GTP in there, I wouldn't worry about a water feature.

Of course, I've never had a water feature in any of my cages so someone with more experience might correct me - someone with frogs, perhaps?

Great looking enclosure, by the way!

:p

Hix

smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge smudge

Frogs would be ideal. RSP's or GTP's would also do well in there.

Ventilation will be your issue.

You may wish to consider replacing the top panel with a hood to house lighting and maybe an extraction fan but you will still need to get some circulation around the bottom of the enclosure. For our frog set up I have an exhaust fan in the hood (a tiny one) and a gap the width of a match stick at the bottom of the door to let air in.

As far as I can tell from the photos there is no bottom?

Actually rather than remove the top just flip it upside down.

You shoulda gotten them VB, thats how i got my salties ;)

how much $$$$ for a GTP

How much $$$$ will a GTP set me back, my wife thinks they the best (as far as snakes go) especially when they are juvis', allot harder to feed as well.....

forget the gtp :roll: , it would look great with gtf in there and they are a bit easier to get...and to replace
even a black and gold jungle, like the ones on herptrader now, would look awesome in it.. :wink: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back