not caring

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantBeatALBINOS

Reaction score
hey all it may sound stupid but im sort of venting and asking for help,
i know four different people who keep reptile's and none of them have lisences for them and all have more then one, also(with not naming people) person 1 has two beardys he caught wild and has in the same tank with NO source of heating(even in this weather) and he wont get a light like im trying to get him to.. he does care for them but i asked to look today and they were just stiff and dead looking)): i felt so sorry for them!
Person Two has a wild shingleback just outside in a tank and he has no heating and rarely EVER feeds the poor bugger): he also has a four month old blue tongue which hasnt grown an inch yet! like he feeds it but he has never had heating on it): he also said he was gonna feed it to his shingleback cause he didnt want it anymore..): he also has an 8-9 month old bredli python which he feeds MAYBE once a month): he has heating on him but when he poo's he's cloaca or whatever actaully hangs out.../: this happens a fair bit too):
and the two others, one has two or three blue tongues an a wild beardy(heating only on the beardy) and the other just two blue tongues(heating on both) but he never cleans the tank or even looks at them

i know there my mates but what can i do? these reptiles need warm loving homes and i feel they dont have it)):

by all means delete this if i cant post this but i really had to!

Call the department in your State who controls these things and report this. Period. You don't have to give your name, but Animal abuse and breaking the law is not what friends - or decent people - do.

I also know some one like this that doesn't care for his beardy as much as he should without a license

Is a very common problem, probably a lot more people keeping wild caught reptiles under very poor conditions who think they can get away with it than licenced reptile keepers who have only captive bread reptiles who care for them as well as they can.

Reporting them is probably a waste of time. How often do you hear of anyone ever being prosecuted for this ?

Forcing them to release their reptiles to the wild (especially at this time of the year) and in a bad area is a death sentence for the unfortunate reptiles.
They need to be confiscated and given over to the care of a vet or WIRES or a licenced reptile keeper for rehabiliation and possibly adoption if unsuitable for wild release.

Last edited:
i don't care if people don't have a license as its not my problem but if they know what they are doing is wrong and refuse to give the reptile heat, food, care ect then dob them in. no animal deserves to suffer.

If they truly cared for their reptiles, they would provide them with adequate heating, housing and dietary requirements depending on the species. It's not expensive to provide this, especially when compared to the fines one would face for holding unlicensed reptiles, not to mention fines relating to animal abuse (if your friends happen to be over eighteen, I don't know who faces charges if they're under eighteen). I can only comment in regards to Blue Tongues on their hardiness (yes, this includes the Shingleback), unfortunately in this case, they are a hardy skink and can live through abuse more than one would think (this was found out through research, not experience). Young blueys need to be fed daily, to weekly depending on age; and once a month just isn't enough. All of the blueys, and even the beardies are probably susceptible to MBD/Metabolic Bone Disease due to poor husbandry. The bredli sounds like he really needs to see a vet; a prolapse doesn't sound good.

You would be doing these reptiles a favour if you contacted the relevant authorities. If their health is in a state where they can recover from whatever ailments they have now, they will probably find happy, caring homes.

Tell your friends how you feel, tell them you hate seeing the animals like that, teach before tell.
If they still won't provide proper care, don them in.
People as young as ten can be charged with animal cruelty.

hey all again i live in SA just out of gawler and not trying to be rude but i dont know who to call? and i agree with zardez the most, i should try to teach them how to care for there reptiles propaply but i cant cause there breaking the law aye?/:

Tell them that they need to get the proper husbandry set up. If they don't then let them know that you will report them to wires or something. Tell them to grow up and be a man not an idiot.
Also why don't they have a license? They are cheap to get and worth the peace of mind.. I can't understand people who keep reptiles and don't want to get a license.
Finally I know you mentioned that most of the animals were wild caught but if you know of anyone who sold them reptiles when they wern't on a license I would report them also.
You have the best intentions and my advice is to stamp out this sorta stuff

>report to authorities
>reptiles repossessed
>be on ballot list because you're licensed
>?????
>profit

Tell them that they need to get the proper husbandry set up. If they don't then let them know that you will report them to wires or something. Tell them to grow up and be a man not an idiot.
Also why don't they have a license? They are cheap to get and worth the peace of mind.. I can't understand people who keep reptiles and don't want to get a license.
Finally I know you mentioned that most of the animals were wild caught but if you know of anyone who sold them reptiles when they wern't on a license I would report them also.
You have the best intentions and my advice is to stamp out this sorta stuff

they dont have lisences cause they reckon they dont need them and they just "can't" afford one apperently..

my mate with the bredli wants another python on his next pig pay too so i wanna do something before he gets it!

Well if they are your friends and you want to give them a chance tell them they've got a week to sort their crap out or you'll report them.

Those poor animals shouldn't suffer any longer whether they're your friends or not, you should do the right thing.

To expand on what others are saying, if you want to give them a chance to remedy the issues, perhaps provide them with care sheets for the species they have. If you have a library nearby, it costs 10-20 cents per page printed, most care sheets are 2-4 pages depending on the information given. Even if you can't help them provide adequate husbandry, you can at least remove the issue of them having no knowledge of care requirements. Although this isn't your responsibility, they should have done this to start with; perhaps it might prompt them to re-think the approach on how they are caring for their reptiles. Either way, you're concerned enough to ask for methods to tackle the situation, good on you. :)

Licensing cost was daunting for me when I first got interested in reptiles (was a kid then though), but honestly, for $80 odd in QLD I've got a permit for five years. $70 odd in NSW for two years, with the five year one being a little more expensive. I don't know how much other states charge, but the licenses aren't really that expensive; it's probably one of the the cheapest parts of the hobby.

To expand on what others are saying, if you want to give them a chance to remedy the issues, perhaps provide them with care sheets fr the species they have. If you have a library nearby, it costs 10-20 cents per page printed, most care sheets are 2-4 pages depending on the information given. Even if you can't help them provide adequate husbandry, you can at least remove the issue of them having no knowledge of care requirements. Although this isn't your responsibility, they should have done this to start with; perhaps it might prompt them to re-think the approach on how they are caring for their reptiles. Either way, you're concerned enough to ask for methods to tackle the situation, good on you. :)

Licensing cost was daunting for me when I first got interested in reptiles (was a kid then though), but honestly, for $80 odd in QLD I've got a permit for five years. $70 odd in NSW for two years, with the five year one being a little more expensive. I don't know how much other states charge, but the licenses aren't really that expensive; it's probably one of the the cheapest parts of the hobby.

about the care sheets, i cant get to the libary till friday(my payday) but i have told them they ALL need heat mats/globes or CHEs in this type of weather and the beardys need UV they can get within 30cms of(correct me if im wrong i havent housed a bready at all yet) but yeah ive told them about there proper food requirments too but they just dont seen to care):
there just like ehh he's getting fed everynow and then he'll be right..

this frustrates me so much!
Your mates reptiles need heat, a clean enclosure and proper food. These are necessary rules that we accept when we decide to purchase and look after an animal. His animals might be alive now but I guarantee that they will get sick and probably die if the husbandry does not improve, then your mates will have vet bills to deal with.
I know they are your mates but a good person would not house animals like this. Your mates need to be dobbed in.

this frustrates me so much!
Your mates reptiles need heat, a clean enclosure and proper food. These are necessary rules that we accept when we decide to purchase and look after an animal. His animals might be alive now but I guarantee that they will get sick and probably die if the husbandry does not improve, then your mates will have vet bills to deal with.
I know they are your mates but a good person would not house animals like this. Your mates need to be dobbed in.
I guarantee that if his mates won't even spend a little money on the snakes basic needs then they won't spend money on a vet bill when it is sick and may not even realise it is sick until it dies.

Basking lights can be bought for under 10 bucks from woolies and a 2nd hand thermostat and heatmat would be cheap as chips.
It really isn't much effort or cost compared to the peace of mind they will have from knowing that their animals are in the correct environment.

about the care sheets, i cant get to the libary till friday(my payday) but i have told them they ALL need heat mats/globes or CHEs in this type of weather and the beardys need UV they can get within 30cms of(correct me if im wrong i havent housed a bready at all yet) but yeah ive told them about there proper food requirments too but they just dont seen to care):
there just like ehh he's getting fed everynow and then he'll be right..

You're right, beardies do need UVA and UVB. However, I don't know their requirements, though people seem to go with the UV 10.0 globes.

People like this need a wake up call, doing this to any animal is downright cruel. It's a pity it seems so widespread too, I'm sure your friends aren't the only ones who do it. Good luck on trying to educate them on proper care, if nothing changes and you want to report it, the South Australian RSPCA website has information on how to report animal cruelty. I don't know who else you could report to, other than perhaps the SA Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (SA reptile permit/licensing mob, I think?), if they they could direct you to the right place.

Edit: Thank you btsmorphs, I've corrected my post to reflect your information. While not it might not be completely necessary I use an 18inch UV 5.0 globe in my blueys enclosure.

Last edited:
You're right, beardies do need UVA and UVB, as do blueys (I don't know the requirement for beardies, though people seem to go with the UV 10.0 globes. I'm using an 18inch UV 5.0 for my bluey, with calcium+D3 and vitamin supplements.

People like this need a wake up call, doing this to any animal is downright cruel. It's a pity it seems so widespread too, I'm sure your friends aren't the only ones who do it. Good luck on trying to educate them on proper care, if nothing changes and you want to report it, the South Australian RSPCA website has information on how to report animal cruelty. I don't know who else you could report to, other than perhaps the SA Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (SA reptile permit/licensing mob, I think?), if they they could direct you to the right place.
blue tongue skinks do not need uv, I have kept and bred blue with no uv for years as do a lot of people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back