Not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of a 5 watt heat mat only adding 5C to the room temp.If your room drops down to 15C overnight then the max temp on the hot side would only be around 20C.

With thermostat on full it was only reading 27.5°c. So I have put my bedside reading lamp on above the click clack, and fiddled around with the distance until I got the temp to sit on 32.5°c. I feel terrible, she has possibly / probably been really cold for weeks. I have honestly been really trying to make sure she has everything she needs. I swear she is not neglected or anything like that . I thought the thermostat reading was fairly accurate. So mad at myself. Anyway, the important thing is what I can do to help her now.
Please help me help her!!
No need to feel bad. You're not the first person to make this mistake. I think thermostats should come with a warning sticker telling people to monitor temps with a thermometer. I've had people who have had snakes for a year tell me their basking spot is 32 degrees. I ask if they use a thermometer to measure the basking spot and they said they don't need too because the thermostat is set at 32.... I lend them a thermometer to measure the actual temp and its always way bellow. Perhaps thermostats shouldn't have a temp written on them but rather a scale going from blue to red, just to show cool to hotter etc.
The good news is you have found the problem and can fix it easily enough. Get a higher wattage heat mat and everything will be fine.
Good idea with the lamp. Even if you just use it during the day, with no food in its belly it will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a 7 watt matt and temps look a lot better. Because she was cold, should I be worried about RI or anything? And thanks for helping guys and girls. Saphira and I both really appreciate it. :D

I probably would have gone 14w or 15w etc. hopefully it's warm enough though.
No need to worry about RI or anything. It should be fine.

Yeah gonna change it for a 14 watt. Guess I should have asked about that first? ??
Big relief she shouldn't get sick or anything. Thanx everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back