Nymph update - horrible "episode" this morning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Reply

Token smilies are totally unnacceptable here, THIS IS a serious thread. We are talking about someones sick snake here! Try running a poll instead. :)

So what happened to Nymph? Or is that info on a different thread I missed.

There is? lol

Kinda good and weird news last night...his globe blew just as I was about to go to bed and I went in to change it and he tagged me lol. Pretty crappy attempt but the follow ups into the glass and out the open door weren't too bad! But I'm glad he feels well enough to try to kill me ;)

The bad part was that when I was holding him afterwards his vent looked very strange...almost like the scales under it towards the tail kinda looked folded under :shock: . I wasn't sure if he was trying to stick his hemipenes out for some reason but some really foul smelling stuff was coming out a teensy bit which kinda smelt like anal glands (for anyone who's ever worked in a vet :lol: ). Do snakes scent on ya or use deterrants like that? I think I've heard they scent but not sure about deterrants. I'm not sure whether I should bother him again to have another look or if I should leave him alone. Seeing as it's possible he could be allergic to me I was thinking I should leave him but I'd hate to ignore something which could be a problem :?

By the way I searched after I read the article, came up with 10 posts with nuthin telling me what happened. Hence the reason why I asked.

It's HE remember Phillis? :lol:

Iceman there were a few other posts called "sick coastal", "sick coastal update", "Good & bad news" etc etc. If you searched under Nymph and looked for threads started by me they're probably about him. If you can't find anything I'll look tomorrow and put some links up for ya :)

nup....MINE :twisted: he bit me now he has my blood :lol:

I ahve had dealings with Vets ni Canberra, Sydney and here in Brisbane and by far the best Herp vet I have found is Clayton Night at Deception Bay ( will get his number if you like ) he is one of those types that people say "if he doesn't know about it it isn't worth knowing" I will send you his number later.

Here, Here, Clayton Night is a ledgend, he is also a good freind. If I have a problem with a snake that I cant handle myself, which is very rare as I rarely get sick animals they are normally from someone else, he is the man to see. Deception Bay Veterinarian Clinic,- 07-38883677.
Good luck.
Rob

oh I forgot,- try a dose of flagyal at 1 ml per kg. It could be infested with bacterial parasites. Only use the one dose and see what happens. Should see improvement within a week or two if thats the prob.Can get flagyal suspension,(Metronidazole benzoate), at vets.
Rob

THAT, my dear, is probably what she is allergic to

HE for god's sake man!!! :lol:

Thanx guys, I had heard Clayton was good. I want to go see Brendan Carmel but I don't want to offend Greenwood cos Carmel wants all records if it's a second opinion :? .

Hey Rock Biter does Flagyl have to be given orally? Cos he won't eat and hasn't eaten in about 3 months or so :?

I've had a search to look for the past threads on it and these are what I found...couldn't find the original one but I think these are in order

http://www.aussiepythons.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7484&highlight=

http://www.aussiepythons.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9844&highlight=

http://www.aussiepythons.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10331&highlight=

Hi Zoe, I found a reference on the web, re administering flagyl with a tube. Could you do that. They reckon it was a good way of doing it with a snake that's off its tucker or sick. Also Flagyl can apparently be injected into a food item, if it was eating that is. Cheers Cheryl

Thanx Cheryl! I'd be so scared of hurting him with the tube thing I think :shock: . Maybe the vet could do it for us if we take him to Carmel :)

Here tis Zoe. "Tube feeding is a good way to help out weak snakes. I use chicken baby food, water, and any meds I need to give into a soupy consistency and administer it through a GSN tube. Lately I have started to add a mixture of bee products (pollen, royal jelly, propolis, honey) and the results have been really awesome. I had a green mamba that looked dead and had the worst shed I have ever seen on a snake that within 24hrs was bright green (from gray/brown). The snake also started acting like a tree snake and within 5 days and two small feedings was accepting mice readily. I have also found this a good way to administer Flagyl. I have been doing this 12 years now with great success."

That sounds really interesting...still too scared tho lol ;) . If someone showed me maybe I could... :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back