oenpelli rock pyhon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robboito

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has encountered this beautiful snake in the wild. from what i've read they're very rare.

I dont think that they are that rare just small area of habitat that is difficult to access

Yeah they're only found in a very small area in Arnhem land and I believe you need permission from the Aboriginal people who live there to go wandering around.

I happened to sit next to a herpetologist her works at Darwin Museum on a flight from Darwin to Perth for a herp conference. I asked him about the Oenpelli and the rumour about someone breeding them and then having had them taken away from him. He said that they were looking at helping the traditional land owners in the area to breed them for sale to keepers. That was on the agenda for the conference, and several aboriginal men from the area were with them on the flight.

ailerom,

It's no rumour that someone has previously bred them, and then had them confiscated - it is well documented and the animals on display are the ones confiscated I believe.

I've seen a few around Sydney, I think they are hybridising with the local GTP population.

Hi,
I live at Oenpelli and yes it is a hard area to find them but there are also rare. I've never seen one in the 1 and a half years i've lived here

From Oenpelli-Girl

I have asked the indigenous locals to get one for me and they keep bringing childrens pythons ( I live in the area) If they do eventually get one I will photograph it with great detail and release it in an area away from town. The ones on the net are not that great

I have asked the indigenous locals to get one for me and they keep bringing childrens pythons ( I live in the area) If they do eventually get one I will photograph it with great detail and release it in an area away from town. The ones on the net are not that great

What would possess you to even think about releasing it in any place apart from where it was found in the first place?

Because where they get caught they get eaten. there is a spot I know that is perfect for them

not surprised he didnt get it, if i argued on a thread that gtp were in the wild round north sydney i would have erased that memory as well...

beano, i partially agree with your reasoning, some things that i have seen getting used for tucker almost make you want to cry...

Because where they get caught they get eaten. there is a spot I know that is perfect for them

I want you to think about this Beano,
There are a lot of people who have a stake and an interest in the future of the Oenpelli python.
Its restricted range is not just an accident. It survives where it is in numbers enough to sustain the population because of many factors.
I dont think you know anything near enough about this snake and its habitat to be making judgements that will effect its future viability in the wild.
Hopefully by now someone has seen these posts by you and made the appropriate authorities aware of the threat that you present to the survival of this species.
Seriously, either your pulling our collective plonkers or you are dangerous.
Find out if there is a study being done. If there is offer yourself to it as a field assistant but dont interfere on your own.

Most snakes will die if they are re-located anymore than a couple of kilometers from where they were originally found. You'd be better off going with the locals to hunt/look for them if you want to get some good pics of them.

So it'd be reasonable to assume that they've been 'lunch' occasionally for 40,000 years then.

I agree with Rams, any snake not released back very close to where it was find generally die

You have no idea the pecking order you are playing with if you stick a snake from where is was found.

You might be moving one male into another male's territory causing them both to find,and perhaps die of their injury's (worse case scenrio) but it is a possibility.

If they're so hard to find, they wont get eaten very often then will they.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back