Olive Python or Water Python ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mje772003

What are peoples thoughts on one breed over another?

In other words the pros and cons of Olive Python's v's Water Pythons?

Cheers Matt

you want big snakes or medium snakes waters get 6-10 ft, olive get 10-15ft, both are easy to keep waters love their humidity and olive need massive cages, ive had placid water and olive and grumpy of both,

Entirely different animals. Not that many people would be capable of responsibly keeping full grown olives. Waters however are as easy as any carpet

Why wouldnt many people be capable of keeping rully grown Olives well saximus? Im hopefully getting one later on this year so just enquiring lol :)

Just the size of enclosure and food required. Plus if you get a grumpy one you wouldn't be able to go into the enclosure alone. Even if it's placid it's probably not a good idea. If you're prepared it'd probably be fine but compared to a Water it's totally different.

because some can get to the size of 4m+ urs in adelaide had one that was 5.5m so meaning need a very large enclosure to keep then of a spare room

keep them or a spare room*

Ahh, ok. makes sense lol. Im pretty sure id manage but it would be difficult for some less experienced lol. And a quick question. Are water pythons arboreal at all? or would they be ok with a long, not so tall enclousre? and do they need significant water space? whenever i think of what a water pythons enclosure should look like i get the image of a magnificent, natural enclosure with a huge pool of water at the bottom lol, the kind of thing stein would build. Is all that necessary for a water python?

Haha I thought the same thing but a bit of reading revealed that they don't need water at all. They aren't really arboreal either so don't need a really high enclosure but like anything if you get them something to climb on they'll use it

Last edited:
yes my waters used to climb all the time when i had in tall cages, experienced or not a guy in sa who had a big scrub had it for years got complacent and it kill him within couple of minute, if your by yourself and have a snake of 10ft to 20ft ya wont get it off ya

yea they just need a normal sized water bowl i had one big enough where they can full submerge and that was enough

Ahh cool, so a good 7 foot enclousre would house a water python fairly well? i dont have LOADS of room but at the same time id hate to purposly give one of my animals the bare minimum requirement for the sake of my own needs. the animals come first lol

I love water pythons
When you get this snake/enclosure you should upload some pics!

Ahh cool. Yeah, i really do like Olives but i think for the sake of room and feeding ect a water python might be easier lol. i just want something larger then what i have now and i dont really want a coastal lol.

What do you have now? The Bredli in your avatar? They get pretty big. There's a couple of pics of mine here: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/babies-pic-heavy-157558/
She's a little bitch right now but she's beautiful

At the moment i only have one jungle and one Bredli, also two blueys. I have been keeping herps for 8 years though, i recently moved over from England and had to leave my entire collection there so i have had many more. the largest snake iv had was a very large california king snake, she was un-usually large for her species and soo placid, bit of a problem feeder though. was very sad to see her go when we left :(

i have 1 of each at the moment. my water python is my little baby! she is such nice natured, the olive on the other hand is mental and she is a little nuts!. I personally like the water python the best. they are very underrated snake. their skin colour is just so beautiful, a pretty olive green colour that gets covered in the coolest rainbow sheen. they alse have a bright yellow belly. much prettier compared to olives in my opinion. but all have different personalities. waters also dont get as big therefore arent as expensive to feed, keep, heat etc.
so i would say water python!!!!

Also, nice bredl saximus, and i like the water python. definatly considering one now lol. And nice dread locks :p i have long hair and have thought about dreads a few times but have never had the guts lol :p

Haha thanks man I definitely love my babies. All I need is an Aspidites and I'll have a complete set of Aussie species :p.
Yeah the dreads take either a lot of money or a very patient girlfriend to keep them maintained and you get the typical stereotypes (I fly between Sydney and Qld every week and get stopped for the drug/explosive test every time) but it's worth it :).

I've never kept either in captivity but I used to meet both on a regular basis.

I was Resident Naturalist at Australia's first Eco-tourism Resort, Seven Spirit Bay at Coral Bay, Cobourg Peninsular, NW Arnhem Land,
1989-1993. The swimming pool was the closest water for a km or so during the Dry, snakes (and other things) appreciated a dip as much as anyone else.

I quickly learned the difference in the nature of the two- gentle handling with water ps and they just went with the flow, sat on the car seat, looked out the window and slid on out when the door was opened a km away.

The olives just bit you no matter what, in the end I used to hang them out the window on a loop pole and drop them off without making contact. I'll have a water python any day.

Used to get woken up at 3 am to remove giant tarantulas from (mainly American's) "habitats" haha and they were always grasshoppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back