once a snapper always a snapper?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca_lou22

Reaction score
Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia, Australia
hello,

i purchased a bredli yearling about 6 months ago and he is so placid and a joy to handle and be around. and i do believe i have been bitten by the bug, and am excited to be looking at a new addition :)
i am looking at a b&g jungle now. i am aware they are a generally snappy breed, and i am aware hatchlings are generally snappy to begin with. and they sometimes loose their snap with time. the yearling i looked at reciently was truly beautiful but she just struck at EVERYTHING that moved and drew blood a few times in the 5 mins she was handled, whilst im happy to put time in to get a good end result, im also trying to be realistic, and a fully grown jungle python with an attitude is not something i believe i can look after in my personal collection.
my question is, to those with experience, is it simply a case of some are more aggressive then others? is it possible to "train" them not to be aggressive? is there any way of knowing what temperament they will have as adults when buying them as a hatchling or a yearling?

thankyou :D

my bredli has always been really great to handle and never ever bites. but my jungle on the other hand was really snappy at first probably for about a year but he has calmed down with regular handling which i think is the best way to deal with it.

There's no way to be sure whether or not a hatchling will settle down, if you want a jungle you may be better off getting an adult, that way you'll know what its temperament is going to be like.

I got my Jungle python as a yearling, and for a little while she was the same. Now she's around 18 months old and is much more placid. It comes down to the individual snake, though.

Depends on how much she has been handled where she came from, and you've also got to give her time to settle in to a new home..

We get lots of wild caught snakes and lizards here

Out of about 100 only 2 were unable to be calmed enough to pass around to strangers during displays

Fear and Food are the only reasons a snake will bite
Allow it to trust you and it will not bite you again

We get lots of wild caught snakes and lizards here

Out of about 100 only 2 were unable to be calmed enough to pass around to strangers during displays

Fear and Food are the only reasons a snake will bite
Allow it to trust you and it will not bite you again

How do you get it to trust you? Regular handling or? other tips?

Thanks all, I wouldnt immagine she is handled very often where she is (pet shop) and in reality I have no idea what her treatment is like, she is on display they said to get her used to people, they went on to say she used to strike at the glass when people walked past but dosent anymore, so I would assume thats progress right? I too am interested in methods you use to allow the snake to trust you...

Hey Bec, a few years ago I had a wild caught, Olive Python juvenile from the NT that was generally aggressive and very snappy. He actually used to give me quite a fright! After about a year he calmed down to the point he seemed to figure out that there was no threat from me. He became an absolute sweetheart with not an aggressive bone in him, I could of handed him to a kid for handling no worries. So yes given the right conditions some specimens calm down, others never will which largely comes down to either incorrect conditioning, environmental variables or genetic predisposition.

I keep over 100 Jungle pythons ( don't ask!) and have found that they tend to settle down around the two year mark if they are not handled much , if you handle them a bit and they get use to you they are just the same as most pythons.
They are starting to turn into my fav python now ( prob why I have kept so many babys , haha )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back